DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

Just binge-watched the entire series over the last month on Netflix. Incredible stuff.  I have so many thoughts on the series as a whole, but a few nuggets that are fresh in my mind after just watching the last few episodes:

- I would have liked more closure with Jesse. Him driving off and busting through the fence wasn't enough for me. Does he raise Brock? Does he go back to slanging with Badger and Skinny Pete? Does he go dig up the rest of the money and go into hiding with the help of Saul's guy? Does he just waste away in a drug den somewhere until he finally OD's? I could see any of these scenarios happening. I hate "we want to leave it open to the viewers imagination" endings. I didn't invest hours/days/months of my fucking life in this so I could be the one to decide how the show ends. That's not my job and I think it's lazy writing. Shit, just give me a final scene of Jesse Pinkman, now living as Herbert Livingston in South Dakota, leaving his job at Best Buy to go pick up Brock from school or something.

- Along those lines, Andrea's death was really heartbreaking. I had to pause the show for a few minutes because my wife began sobbing and had to leave the room. When Todd knocked on her door I figured she was about to get murked.

- The different opinions we as viewers have on these characters at the end of the series is just unbelievable. Reading through this thread I've seen a lot of people who wish Marie and/or Skyler had died. My wife fucking hated Marie at the end for being so adamant that Hank capture Walt. Although I loved Walt's character, I really sympathized with the family and totally understood why they wanted absolutely nothing to do with him at the end. Walt said it best - he did everything for himself. Providing for his family was just an excuse. They never wanted the money, all they wanted was their dad/husband.

- To'hajiilee was one of the most intense hours of television I've ever seen. Especially the last 15-20 minutes. I was literally on the edge of my seat and couldn't take my eyes off the screen the entire time. Riveting stuff. It's right up there with LOST's "Through the Looking Glass" as my favorite hour of television ever.

Skyler really is absolutely horrible. I completely forgot about it when I watched the series the first time, but on second viewing, wow, she's the epitome of every terrible wife ever. In the pilot episode, she's on her laptop in bed, she's tracking her eBay auctions, it's Walter's birthday and all she can muster for him is the saddest handy ever where she cares more about the fucking junk she's slinging on eBay more than her husband. Then at the end of that pilot, she remarks, "Walter, is that you?!" In the context of a show like Everybody Loves Raymond, that would get your typical canned laughter. Here, it's gross and sad. It was clear that up until the events of the show, she was a goddamn life vampire, sucking away Walter's soul. She proceeds to do that even more, topping it off with "I fucked Ted." She was unhappy with her marriage and life and was too much of a gutless coward to break things off sooner, so instead she breaks down Walter, who clearly wants to have a happy marriage and a happy life. His career is sad and hopeless, but all he wants is the admiration and respect of his wife, who can't even bother to take her eyes off of eBay one moment to give it to him. 

She was unhappy with her marriage and life and was too much of a gutless coward to break things off sooner, so instead she breaks down Walter, who clearly wants to have a happy marriage and a happy life.

I don't know if that last part is true.  In fact I think this part could be changed to:

He was unhappy with his marriage and life and was too much of a gutless coward to break things off sooner, so instead he blew up the fucking world around him.

Walter and Skyler were kind of similar in being miserable with their lives.  Walter had the (blessing of?) sudden motivation to do something drastic and until she agreed to launder his money Skyler didn't.  She kept making the same lame half-hearted attempts that Walter himself would have kept making if he hadn't gotten sick.

Walter fucked up his life before he met Skylar. I think he had a way worse affect on her than she ever had on him. Because of him she went from being a frustrated but otherwise normal housewife to casually ordering Jesse's death like it was no big deal as if she were a mafia boss or something.