DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

Lydia worked for a German conglomerate, she was pure enough for Uncle Jack's litmus test.

But she was on the payroll of a Chilean national, so it should be a wash.

Anyway, I've watched multiple MMA fights with Neo-Nazis. Shitty tattoos don't phase me.

Meet Melvin Costa (Yes that says what you think it says):

smallpenis_display_image_display_image.j

I mentioned in the review thread how much Lydia's characterization seems to have been based on Tilda Swinton's character in Michael Clayton. Like, they're way too similar for it to be a coincidence.

-both nervy, neurotic women who leave you wondering why the fuck they're getting involved in the world of crime since they're obviously not cut out for it.

-both suffer from panic attacks and are OCD

-both totally cool with ordering deaths left and right, but very keen on not getting their hands dirty.

I think if Lydia could have been played by an actress of Swinton's caliber she could have easily been one of the most fascinating characters on the show. Fraser was OKish, but she wasn't that good. So, instead, she just came off as annoying. I think that character was a real missed opportunity.

I thought she was great as Lydia mainly because they didn't go overboard and make her a badass. Thus, she didn't have deliver any forced lines. It would have been easy for them to go that route and give her a whole backstory, but they kept a lot of stuff mystery. They didn't tip their hand and have a bunch of Czech people show up.

I could understand being disappointed with the show after hearing all the hype about how it's one of the best of all time AND marathoning it. Granted, I wound up marathoning through the first four seasons and didn't catch up until like episode 3 of season 5, but the hype was yet to reach mythical status at that point. I believe that most shows benefit from being watched 'in the moment' and being forced to wait a week for each episode, and many months for a new season. It allows everything to properly settle in and is easier to appreciate.

Someone mentioned The Wire and how they were afraid they wouldn't love it as much as everyone else because they'd be watching it after hearing how it was the greatest series ever. I've only watched half of the first season and while I enjoyed it, I share the same sentiment. I also think that when you're watching the show live, it benefits if you have friends (or the board even) who also watch the show and y'all can watch it together or talk about it the next day and all that.

Disagree. Binge watching makes it that much more likely you're going to pick up call backs/references from previous episodes that had you waited a week or however long in between, you might have forgotten/not noticed. Also, waiting months/years between seasons is fucking horrible.

Someone mentioned The Wire and how they were afraid they wouldn't love it as much as everyone else because they'd be watching it after hearing how it was the greatest series ever. I've only watched half of the first season and while I enjoyed it, I share the same sentiment. I also think that when you're watching the show live, it benefits if you have friends (or the board even) who also watch the show and y'all can watch it together or talk about it the next day and all that.

That's why it's best to jump on the Boardwalk and/or True Detective gravy train now. 

Binge watching Breaking Bad was the best way for me to watch it. I did that all the way up until the final season. I was happy doing it that way too because it added to the suspense of that final season. I would hate watching the whole series like that, though.

• Like 1

That's why it's best to jump on the Boardwalk and/or True Detective gravy train now. 

That's exactly what I did. I'm almost done with season 4 of Boardwalk Empire.

• 1 month later...

I honestly don't have a problem with Aaron Paul being in the spin-off. Not like he's setting the world on fire with his film career, and they could feasibly insert him into the show in a pre-BB or a post-BB finale role. The show is still split between the two time periods, isn't it?

IMO, I can't see Paul's movie career working out. He strikes me as a lot like Sarah Michelle Gellar: just way more of a presence and big deal on the small screen.

Also, that Need for Speed trailer manages to make the Fast & Furious films look like highbrow art.

I honestly don't have a problem with Aaron Paul being in the spin-off. Not like he's setting the world on fire with his film career, and they could feasibly insert him into the show in a pre-BB or a post-BB finale role. The show is still split between the two time periods, isn't it?

I thought it was pretty much a prequel only.

Need for Speed is already shows what happens with Jesse post-BB.

If it's part sequel, I assume that means we'll get Walt Jr (now a spoiled and bratty multi-millionaire) driving around in his yellow Ferrari, getting into fights outside of night clubs and dating lots of young hot babes.

And after buying so many breakfasts, he now weighs 300 pounds.

Is this now the official thread for it? It can be like the Batman thread on the old board that carried on for 6 years or whatever.  I don't think this will suck but I do think it would be best not to compare it to Breaking Bad. It can be a fun little show and I think everyone would be interested in an expanded Breaking Bad universe.