DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

The one false note for me is why does Walt risk exposure twice to kill Lydia? He doesn't have anything to gain by doing so and they were never directly in conflict. The first time he was going to poison her , she was merely another loose end like Mike's men, and then they went into business. Fugitive Walt doesn't have any reason to kill her. Just feels like she deserves to die, so we'll have Walt do it.

Still, Best Series Ever. Finale just a notch below The Shield.

The one false note for me is why does Walt risk exposure twice to kill Lydia? He doesn't have anything to gain by doing so and they were never directly in conflict. The first time he was going to poison her , she was merely another loose end like Mike's men, and then they went into business. Fugitive Walt doesn't have any reason to kill her. Just feels like she deserves to die, so we'll have Walt do it.Still, Best Series Ever. Finale just a notch below The Shield.

You can't really trust someone like Lydia. If Walt kills her cook Todd (and by proxy Jesse), then she probably would get mad enough to hire people to kill Walt's whole family if she found out. She had the Nazis get rid of Declan, and he didn't really need to be killed. He just had a shitty meth setup and refuse to let her barge in. She was pretty fucking ruthless.

The one false note for me is why does Walt risk exposure twice to kill Lydia? 

She was selling his product as if he were still involved.  Taking credit for something she had no right to take credit for.  He felt wronged by Lydia in the same way he felt wronged by Gretchen and Elliot.  Taking credit for his work is the one thing Heisenberg could never let slide.  He wouldn't let Gale take the credit and he certainly wasn't going to let Lydia or Jack or Todd or Jesse.  

The one false note for me is why does Walt risk exposure twice to kill Lydia? He doesn't have anything to gain by doing so and they were never directly in conflict. The first time he was going to poison her , she was merely another loose end like Mike's men, and then they went into business. Fugitive Walt doesn't have any reason to kill her. Just feels like she deserves to die, so we'll have Walt do it.Still, Best Series Ever. Finale just a notch below The Shield.

You can't really trust someone like Lydia. If Walt kills her cook Todd (and by proxy Jesse), then she probably would get mad enough to hire people to kill Walt's whole family if she found out. She had the Nazis get rid of Declan, and he didn't really need to be killed. He just had a shitty meth setup and refuse to let her barge in. She was pretty fucking ruthless.
This is a little more reasonable though I doubt her dealings were much on his radar after he 'retired'.

This is a little more reasonable though I doubt her dealings were much on his radar after he 'retired'.
I doubt he had her dealings on his mind either. She was a big loose end. Walt basically eliminated or at least tried to eliminate any imminent danger to his family. Maybe Jesse goes on a homicidal rampage or something and goes back after Walt's family. But it's clear that Jesse isn't that big a threat because he could have done it before. The others, though, have proven to be really malicious and it's better they take the big sleep along with Walt.
  • Like 1

I'm also still blown away (huhuhuh) that Gus was Buggin' Out from Do the Right Thing.

GODDAMMIT. I just watched the end of that again the other day and didn't even realize it, after already seeing the movie a thousand times. 

Jesse left prints on the handgun Walt used to shoot Uncle Jack. ...?

Why did Walt kill Lydia? To borrow from Mike: No Half Measures.

He didn't specifically know she wanted to kill Skylar, but he knew as long as she was alive the threat was always there. He was intent on wiping everyone out, and didn't want to leave anyone alive to take revenge on his family.

I do think sentencing the woman to a long, painful death was harsh even by Walt's standards, but yeah, whatever. He didn't want to Todd to know too soon what he was up to.

I'm also still blown away (huhuhuh) that Gus was Buggin' Out from Do the Right Thing.

GODDAMMIT. I just watched the end of that again the other day and didn't even realize it, after already seeing the movie a thousand times. 

To me, Gus Fring and Bunk Moreland killed Malcolm X. The best is that he actually acted kinda like Gus for a few seconds in that film than anything I've seen him do.

Skyler told Walt that Lydia had sent the Nazis to their home and threatened their children. Plenty of reason.

While that is true (though she never said that Lydia sent them) Walt had already retrieved the ricin and it was clearly meant for her. Still, Elsalvajeloco has persuaded me with sound reasoning that Walt was properly motivated.

To me, Gus Fring and Bunk Moreland killed Malcolm X. The best is that he actually acted kinda like Gus for a few seconds in that film than anything I've seen him do. 

Great, now I'm kicking myself for not watching Malcolm X when it was on satellite again recently too. My ass is purple at this point.

SWEET LORD. The finale pulled in 10 million viewers.That's an amazing number for cable, period, but even moreso when you consider the show rarely pulled in more than 2 million viewers for most of its existence. Behold the power of Netflix, I guess.

The only negative side to that is the show at its absolute most was watched by 6 million people, so roughly about 3-4 million people just ruined the entire experience of Breaking Bad for themselves because they just had to see how a show they had never watched before ended.

Well, live, that's true. Doesn't take VOD, etc into account. Wonder how many people bought episodes on iTunes, Amazon, etc over the previous two months, caught up on DVR, or watched ondemand

I watched the whole series in about ten days. I'm sort of glad I did too. All of the commercials and hash tag crap, during the last episode, sort of took me out of the story a little bit.

I always love the summer (or, I used to before networks started running staggering shows year-round) because the majority of shows would go off the air at the same time. Following shows at a scheduled time each week feels like homework - even with DVR. I'm starting to break the habit the more I travel for work, and especially now that the wife and I are in a housing limbo with no DVR or good cable to speak of. For the last year or so I've just saved up entire seasons to watch, and knocked them out whenever I have pockets of free time.

The binge-watching phenomenon, in general, is amazing. Whenever there are 'off' weeks of a show I only have to wait as long as it takes me to watch the next episode to forget about it. 'Mad Men' is one of my favorite shows and knocking out half the season in one sitting makes me love it even more. It also hooks me on shows more than if I were to follow them in their normal format. I probably wouldn't have stuck with 'Veep' if I had to watch it 25 minutes at a time each week, but I had the entire first season recorded for a while before I finally started it. I knocked that show out immediately once I got going.

I still remember knocking out the first four seasons of '24' in less than two weeks before the fifth season premiered. This was back in 2006, and I did it with Netflix DISCS and rushing to Blockbuster when I couldn't wait for the next disc to arrive. That feels like the Stone Age compared to now.

I wish I had known then that someday it would have been possible to watch every show like that.

• Like 2

Killing Lydia with the ricin seem a bit extreme since Walt and her didn't have a deep-seated beef as far as I can remember.  It seems he decided to take her out with this method before he even found out she got the Aryans to threaten his family. 

So I get why he would want her out of the way.  Along with the reasons already mention, Walt also finds out she was still selling his meth brand overseas during the Charlie Rose(this still makes me laugh) interview too.

I just thought the ricin death was a pretty harsh way to go about it considering their history at the point he decided to take her out.  Then again, you could argue it's more about practicality than vengeance, until he discovers Lydia threaten his family and put a hit on him.

Lydia begged to not be shot in the face in fear of how her daughter would react. Poisoning her to death was downright humane, all things considered. Plus, Walt knew she was in league with the Aryans. Who else would be providing them with methylamine? And she was the point person for any and all international distribution operations.

Nah.  Death by ricin through ingestion would not be a more humane alternative to anything. That would be a drawn-out, painful death.

Again, I don't have issues with his reasons for wanting her out of the way.

Nah.  Death by ricin through ingestion would not be a more humane alternative to anything. That would be a drawn-out, painful death.

But at least she gets to say goodbye to her kid.

Lydia begged to not be shot in the face in fear of how her daughter would react. Poisoning her to death was downright humane, all things considered. Plus, Walt knew she was in league with the Aryans. Who else would be providing them with methylamine? And she was the point person for any and all international distribution operations.

The Aryans were still using the last of the methylamine from the train robbery, but they were planning to get more barrels from Lydia, as Uncle Jack told Walt before the MacGyver gun took care of business. Walt knew Lydia was still involved because Charlie Rose said the blue was still getting to the Czech Republic, and that was all her doing.

• Like 1

Yeah, it was practicality. He could have just shot her, but then Todd may have heard and knew Walt was out for vengeance. This way, she just got sick and by the time she was dead, everyone else would be too.

He only got really spiteful with her on the phone after finding out from Skylar that she'd sent the Nazis around.

• Like 1

The Aryans were still using the last of the methylamine from the train robbery, but they were planning to get more barrels from Lydia, as Uncle Jack told Walt before the MacGyver gun took care of business. Walt knew Lydia was still involved because Charlie Rose said the blue was still getting to the Czech Republic, and that was all her doing.

I love how, in the Breaking Bad universe, Charlie Rose is indirectly to blame for Lydia's death.

• Like 2

Jesse left prints on the handgun Walt used to shoot Uncle Jack. ...?

I've been kind of wondering what the police would make of that crime scene.  Surely they'd start off thinking that it was where Walt had been hiding and making meth, but it wouldn't take long for them to realize the story is more complicated.  Not sure if they'd figure it all out, though.

Nah, the cops knew he was out of town. They got the phone call in New Hampshire, and while that could've been a hoax, him showing up in a NH plate car would've corroborated that. There likely then would've been security footage of him at Denny's, and then getting into the new car outside (the car that would be found at the crime scene). They would rightly figure that Walt had taken them all out.

However, they would realise from the chain contraption in the lab that there had been a cook held as a slave. That, coupled with the destroyed gates, would tell them that someone escaped that scene, and they would be on the hunt for that person "to help with inquiries".

And yes, the fingerprints would likely lead to Jesse as a suspect in Jack's death, at the very least.

My ultimate take is that Walt couldn't have given two fucks about the drug trade in New Mexico or Lyda's and Todd's involvement in it.   He may even have not deduced the fact that the Aryans had taken it over. At his lowest moment, when his son had completely rejected him, the Charlie Rose bit, far from pissing him off, gave him a way to complete his ultimate goals. (1) Secure his family's future.  (2) Avenge Hank (Which, if I remember correctly, he had talked about hiring hitmen with Saul while they were in Max Cherry's protection.) and (3) get his final resolution with Jesse.