DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

Find Brock and raise him?

With what?  He's got nothing.

I think it's a pretty safe bet Skylar doesn't let Walt Jr. have any of the money, and it just sits there unused or gets donated to charity (ironically probably to treat the very people the meth destroyed in the first place.)  And the other 80 million either stays lost or the feds take it.  So in the whole scheme of things the only characters in Breaking Bad who gained anything from Walt's money at the end and lived was Robert Forster, Badger, and Skinny Pete.

I caught up today, and I'm glad I was able to actually finish this season without worrying about being spoiled.  Jesse getting Todd with the Anton Chigurh/Jabba the Hut treatment felt so satisfying after him shooting Andrea in the back of the head. 

As far as best show ever conversation goes, it is about as different from The Wire in scope as possible which makes them very hard to compare.  I think I still take The Wire, but this shit was fucking good.  Where The Wire was the broad story of an entire city, Breaking Bad was the narrow story of Walt and Jesse.  The theme of The Wire was no matter how much the characters change, the story stays the same.  This was basically the exact opposite.  Breaking Bad showed how one person's actions can change the lives of so many people.  Walt went from bumbling chemistry teacher, to an inept meth cook who was in over his head, to a criminal mastermind and finally a loathsome hero.  Every step of the way all, the supporting characters are more and more affected until eventually all of their lives are ruined.  The beginning of the show was basically a dark comedy, but throughout the five seasons as the character's stakes grew higher and higher the comedy was snuffed out until eventually every episode left you raw.  The long term storytelling on this show was masterful, and part of me is glad I watched it all over the last couple of months.  The wait between seasons would have sucked. 

• Like 1

I thought it was good. It wasn't great, but it wasn't the St. Elsewhere ending either. The killing spree was pretty damn epic and it was great to see Jesse choke the life out of Todd. It cracked me up when Todd was looking out the window completely oblivious to the fact it was Walt who just killed everyone.

Lidia got exactly what she deserved. I wonder though if she went staight to the hospital after she got that call though. She does have a kid, so one would assume she would be dumb enough to try and save herself and blow up what little time she has left.

Overall it was good, but ultimatley it felt safe. The predictions about Walt killing the Nazi's, Lidia, and saving Jesse were dead on. Only real wild card was making The Schwartz's give the money to his kids. When those laser sights came on I jumped and was like oh shit. That was an awesome scene and then the kicker it being Skinny Pete and Badger. So awesome.

• Like 1

I think Jesse's future depends how you look at it:

Realistic view; He falls into his self-destructive ways again,has bad PTSD from all he's been through and is generally pretty miserable.

More optimistic one: His experiences have made him stronger, he'll now leave ABQ, start some place anew, get a job, maybe meet a nice girl and have some kids and have decent, if mundane, life. 

I'm leaning towards the latter, but then, I do like happy endings, so...

Great finale. When Walt admitted that he did it all for him I lost it. The smug smirk after he says "I was really good at it too"

Happy to see the Nazis and Todd get theirs. Less happy about Lydia. I still liked her. The scene with Walt watching Flynn get off the bus was something else. Touching.

Uncle Jack went out like a G just like Hank and Gus and Mike...  tough fuckers.

Walt catching his own bullet and dying in a meth lab right before the police arrive....  Yeah, I'll take that...  Perfect.

As for Jesse, I guess you could say he had a Need For Speed.

• Like 1

More optimistic one: His experinces have made him stronger, he'll now leave ABQ, start some place anew, get a job, maybe meet a nice girl and have some kids and have decent, if mundane, life. 

Coming this fall to NBC: A wacky twenty-something slacker trying to start fresh in a new town finds he has to grow up after the eight year-old child of his deceased ex-girlfriend comes knocking!  How can this daddy raise a kid while also raising himself?  It's Pinkman!  Thursdays after Parks & Recreation!

More optimistic one: His experinces have made him stronger, he'll now leave ABQ, start some place anew, get a job, maybe meet a nice girl and have some kids and have decent, if mundane, life. 

Coming this fall to NBC: A wacky twenty-something slacker trying to start fresh in a new town finds he has to grow up after the eight year-old child of his deceased ex-girlfriend comes knocking!  How can this daddy raise a kid while also raising himself?  It's Pinkman!  Thursdays after Parks & Recreation!

Throw in Badger and Skinny Pete, call it Three and A Half Men, and I'm in.

So, Walt won in the end didn't he?

-killed his enemies

-got to leave money for kids (OK, so you can say Skyler won't let them have it but the implication was they were going to get the cash)

-left a legacy (a meth empire, but still)

-got to die on his own terms.

So, crime pays, I guess?

My wife's take:

Jesse knows where Todd and Jack buried the money.  Or he has some leftover Walt money.  Or Saul money.  He heads back to that rehab with Wynn Duffy and sets up his new life.  He's presumed dead, and he can start over.  When the heat dies down, he heads back to the compound, collects the rest of the money and starts his own rehab somewhere.  And he's got the best damn drug stories anyone's ever heard.

• Like 1

Meanwhile... 

Posted Image

I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

Seriously, I think Jesse is going to do whatever the fuck Jesse was going to do in the first place before he ran back into Walter White: fuck loose chicks and listen to bad rap. Just without the drug use. Whoever said Pinkman broke Walt's control was absolutely correct. He had been listening to Walt and been under his spell for two years. It goes back to the very beginning when Jesse asked Walt if he had lost his mind when Walt first asked Jesse to cook meth with him. Turns out....yeah...he had lost his mind.

Walt coming to terms with who and what he is was a thing of beauty.  I found myself smiling and laughing a bit as the end credits came on, which I never would have expected coming in.  Walt was at peace.  A surprisingly upbeat way to go out for a fantastic show.

I don't know that it was the best finale of all time, but I'm comfortable calling it the best TV show I've ever seen.  This episode served as the perfect wrap up and exit for Walt.  Some of the other characters were seemingly given little to do (Marie and Flynn most obviously), but this was always Walt's story and I like that he was almost completely the focus.

Ozymandias was the visceral gut punch the show had been building to all along, and on some level everything that has come after has felt less important to me.  I think that's probably the only mark against the finale I can really make.