DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

they managed to have a Zbyszko stable without having his first name rhyme with Larry. Barry, Terry, Jerry, Kerry, Perry

I somehow morphed my Fake Zbyszko sons idea into repackaging Los Boricuas as Los Zbyszkos. MANOS ZBYSZKOS, HANDS UP HIGH.

Also from Baby Doll's MySpace:

full.jpg

I found my answer to that "show you wish you attended" thread.

That main event could use some spicing up with a gimmick or two.

• Like 2

One would think that "Fans Bring The Weapons", "Last Man Standing", "Barbed Wire Steel Cage" and "Thumbtacks" would imply "Hardcore", but we they just had to be sure we didn't think there were gonna be DQ's in that match.

Man, both of those shows were less than an hour away from me.  I really feel deprived now.

The only one of those people I've heard of is Willie Watts.  I saw him wrestle on a Gouge show a few years back, he wasn't terrible but didn't do anything besides the standard punch/kick type stuff.

One would think that "Fans Bring The Weapons", "Last Man Standing", "Barbed Wire Steel Cage" and "Thumbtacks" would imply "Hardcore", but we they just had to be sure we didn't think there were gonna be DQ's in that match.

I believe you mean "tumbtacks".

Misspellings in your main event are pro wrestling.

from Baby Doll's MySpace page:

full.jpg

no idea if Alan Smithee's gimmick involves disowning his participation in wrestling after every match

they managed to have a Zbyszko stable without having his first name rhyme with Larry. Barry, Terry, Jerry, Kerry, Perry

I somehow morphed my Fake Zbyszko sons idea into repackaging Los Boricuas as Los Zbyszkos. MANOS ZBYSZKOS, HANDS UP HIGH.

Also from Baby Doll's MySpace:

full.jpg

A lot (though not all) of the rip off gimmicks actually came from a Raleigh-based group called GOUGE - Gimmicks Only Underground Grappling Entertainment. I worked on the first few GOUGE shows and the original concept was everyone doing unique, outlandish characters. I was a blind commissioner ('cause justice is blind), there were ninjas, Australians (Wallabee Joe and his partner Rassle Crowe), clowns, a Norweigan redneck named Tennessee Ernie Nord and Go Go the Gay Gorilla, which I wish I could find a picture of but it was a dude in a full gorilla suit with a tutu over it doing the Adrian Street style gimmick.

So originally it was all somewhat original gimmicks or at least original takes on classic gimmicks including an all-black tag-team called the Urban Legends - Willie Watts, Luther Thesz and Leroy Zbyszko - whose deal was that they went against type by being rowdy southern rednecks despite looking more like the Gangstas.

Somewhere along the way after the first few shows EVERYONE just started doing rip off gimmicks of famous wrestlers rather than coming up with something creative. There was a Donnie Steamboat, a Dick Foley, a Scrap Yard Dog, the New Age Freebirds, the Overtaker, Bobby Eating & Dennis Laundry, Rusty Commodes, etc.

Dick Foley eventually started his own promotion, which the posters above are for and I think the Doodleys was his idea.

My absolute favorite was Napoleon Dolemite, which was a dude dressed in a Napoleon Dynamite Halloween costume (this was right after the movie was a hit) who would always be hyper aggressive toward his valet, a hot broad in a cute mini skirt, and try to pimp her out at ringside.

I am making none of this up: http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/results/gouge/