DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

Bret's 6' even.

Hennig was 6'2" or 3".

Curt is listed as 6-3 but that's a work, because they always told the story how he would kibitz and joke and sneakily muscle guys backwards in photos so that when they posed together they looked the same height. There's stories about how he used to do this to Rick Rude (who was 6-3) all the time in WCW when Rude last jumped shipped and was Hennig's cornerman.

10329673_10202929096644830_2224843060396

"Look guys! I can see our shame from here!"

Has there ever been a story told or revealed as to who's genius idea it was for this gimmick and what the inspiration was behind it?  It's so random but I feel like there has to be a backstory.  I mean, even if someone for some reason wanted to hurt their credibility, how does a ventriloquist dummy become the choice?

I don't know the story but if I had to guess the reasoning was probably to make the "more kid-friendly" or that was probably the excuse who ever was trying to make them look stupid and undermine them gave.

Has there ever been a story told or revealed as to who's genius idea it was for this gimmick and what the inspiration was behind it?  It's so random but I feel like there has to be a backstory.  I mean, even if someone for some reason wanted to hurt their credibility, how does a ventriloquist dummy become the choice?

I found this quote from Ellering:

"It was just a point to, uh, the office at that time thought the guys just can't get no sympathy.  It was just something thrown in there to give them a perk.  Maybe work something around it, but nothing ever came of it. "

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=29664

I found this quote from Ellering:

"It was just a point to, uh, the office at that time thought the guys just can't get no sympathy.  It was just something thrown in there to give them a perk.  Maybe work something around it, but nothing ever came of it. "

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=29664

In his book, Animal said that Ellering even offered to take ventriloquy lessons to try and get the gimmick over but the office told him not to. After that, Hawk told Ellering to "lose" the dummy at some point and Ellering conveniently misplaced it somewhere on the way to a show.

• Like 1

The whole point of the Road Warriors was that they were 'unsympathetic'. Face or heel, they just came out and beat people's asses. That's all that mattered and why they remained consistently over for more than a decade. When your pop becomes one that the boys take and use to refer to big pops as, you don't need a fucking dummy, or even a manager.

unproducedhoganlargedollandbuddytoy.jpg

Little known fact: at the height of his popularity, Hogan tried to get backing for a revival of the Twilight Zone, all episodes to star himself. This is a still from the pilot, "Talky Terry."

• Like 1