DVDVR Message Board

RIP James Garner (1928-2014)

odessasteps

In some "lesser" stuff that I know some people have seen but I feel like I am the only one who watched it

For example - My Fellow Americans and Barbarians at the Gate

• Like 2

Even though I had no real understanding of politics when I saw it (I was 14), I still really enjoyed My Fellow Americans at the time.

Bummer. 

If you guy's ever get around to it, check him out in The Children's Hour. He plays love interest to Audrey Hepburn who gets accused of being a lesbian lover to Shirley McClain. He has a scene near that is pretty damn beautiful.

Marlowe is a criminally underrated movie. Rockford Files is possibly the best PI show ever made (I think only Magnum comes close).

Hell I even liked Garner in Space Cowboys!

James

• Like 1

He and his wife had been married since 1956 - they had met at an Adlai Stevenson fundraiser

So at least someone won from Stevenson's Presidential Bids

#jokesonlyreallyoldpeopleget

• Like 9

If you haven't read it  his autobiography The Garner Files is a really great read.  The chapters dealing with filming Maverick and how he had to fight to get out of his studio contract were really fascinating.

I love James Garner, he had this amazing vibe to him that made him compulsively watchable, even as the feisty grandfather in '8 Simple Rules' (He was brought in after the death of John Ritter).

His best, criminally-underseen role is probably 'The Americanization of Emily' where he delivers this speech

I don't trust people who make bitter reflections about war, Mrs. Barham. It's always the general with the bloodiest records who are the first to shout what a hell it is. It's always the war widows who lead the Memorial Day parades.
We shall never end wars, Mrs. Barham, by blaming it on the ministers and generals, or warmongering imperialists, or all the other banal bogeys. It's the rest of us who build statues to those generals and name boulevards after those ministers. The rest of us who make heroes of our dead and shrines of our battlefields. We wear our widow's weeds like nuns, Mrs. Barham, and perpetuate war by exalting its sacrifices.

and he just nails it.

• Like 1

Barbarians at the Gate was awesome. Perhaps the best made for HBO move ever (granted I haven't seen any of the current ones). Everytime I see KKR mentioned in business articles, I can't help but picture Johnathan Pryce.

The Maverick movie by Mel Gibson also might be my favorite of the "TV series remade into summer movie" genre that infected Hollywood for 5-6 years until it got overtaken by comics and young adult novels. I liked how it respected the series and the TV western genre in general rather than spend 90 minutes making fun of it.

Of course, Rockford Files is one of those timeless classic series. I know in my head the dumbass remake idea got canned because NBC failed at every one they tried but in my heart I like to think the series never gets remade because it'll be damn near impossible to find a tv actor is as effortlessly cool as Garner was in the role.

Was watching him on 8 Simple Rules just a couple days ago, and marveling at how high he wore his pants. Seriously, it was like Abdullah.

I could well be alone in this, but I thought he and David Spade worked well together.