DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

Actual piece of advice given to an employee today: "Stop getting hit by cars."

Follow-up to this: The dude came into work today and he hadn't been to a hospital yet. I think the most depressing thing about management is the number of employees I have to tell, "No, seriously, if you're sick and/or injured, I WANT YOU TO GO HOME AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF." We are a tech company with a decent health plan, not a Dickensian workhouse for fuck's sake!

Follow-up to this: The dude came into work today and he hadn't been to a hospital yet. I think the most depressing thing about management is the number of employees I have to tell, "No, seriously, if you're sick and/or injured, I WANT YOU TO GO HOME AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF." We are a tech company with a decent health plan, not a Dickensian workhouse for fuck's sake!
Yeah, but a lot of people don't believe it when their company tells them that. A couple years back during the winter, my company put up signs all over the place that said (paraphrase), "If you're sick, stay home." The following summer, they implemented a policy to punish and fire people for taking sick days.
  • Like 1

If you're still contagious and don't stay home, you're just risking the health of everyone else who works there which could spread and lead to a massive issue and downturn in productivity. Any first day management moron could even see that as being bad.

My previous job was one of those "are you dead? No? Get to work" places. I can't tell you how many times the whole fucking workforce was half dead from passing around a sickness. Since they were known for firing people after a sick day people didn't want to risk it. The well being of your coworkers doesn't measure up to your kids not eating.

My final straw was when I called in to use one of my alloted sick days (we got five a year officially) because my 7 month old had to stay overnight in a children's hospital and i was on midnights. My manager tried to talk me into coming in anyhow and when I made it clear I wouldn't be there the asshole ended the conversation with "Well it looks really bad to call in on a Sunday..." I restrained myself from calling him a motherfucker for suggesting I was looking for a long weekend when in reality I was waiting for test results to tell me if my son had leukemia (thankfully he was fine).I decided that night as soon as I found a new job I was gone.

The kicker is that a month later at my annual review that absence, using a sick day I was entitled to and having called my manager three hours before my shift started and being my only absence the whole year, was used to deny me a raise.

Luckily a better job came along, but that's the kind of bullshit people have to deal with when they legitimately need a day off.

Okay, as someone who has had his foot run over once and been tapped by a slow-moving car once (and is legally blind with very limited distance and peripheral vision) I really want to know the story on this. Because right now, I'm torn between feeling his pain and hating the fuck out of careless fellow pedestrians (one time I saw a woman force her two under-8s to cross one of Austin's busier streets during rush hour, about 750 feet away from a crosswalk, and I would have screamed if I weren't certain it would end in the deaths of all 3 of them if she turned to yell back.)

Early this year I started having elbow problems. It started off as pain when I was lifting, so I quit lifting but it didn't get better. Went to an ortho, he ruled out infection or bursitis and shot me full of cortisone and it was fine for 2 months. Started hurting again, went back to the doctor, he shot me up again and said "If the pain comes back, you need to get an MRI because you're going to need either PT or surgery."  I got the MRI last Friday after a day when I had to do a stupid little dance to get anything out of my pocket because it hurt to reach in there; my appointment to get it explained to me and find out my options is tomorrow morning.  I know that $200 in unexpected medical bills is very much a minor problem compared to a lot of people, but I wasn't really ready for it and it feels like a lot to me right now. Additionally, starting to work out and lift was a big part of me getting my life under some semblance of control. i'm terrified that I'm going to be put in a position of either borrowing a shit ton of money for more care or spending five days a week on an eliptical or climber, watching all the work I did on my upper body slowly waste away because I can't do anything that puts stress on my arms.  It's irrational, I know, but that doesn't stop it from eating at me.

My previous job was one of those "are you dead? No? Get to work" places. I can't tell you how many times the whole fucking workforce was half dead from passing around a sickness. Since they were known for firing people after a sick day people didn't want to risk it. The well being of your coworkers doesn't measure up to your kids not eating.

My final straw was when I called in to use one of my alloted sick days (we got five a year officially) because my 7 month old had to stay overnight in a children's hospital and i was on midnights. My manager tried to talk me into coming in anyhow and when I made it clear I wouldn't be there the asshole ended the conversation with "Well it looks really bad to call in on a Sunday..." I restrained myself from calling him a motherfucker for suggesting I was looking for a long weekend when in reality I was waiting for test results to tell me if my son had leukemia (thankfully he was fine).I decided that night as soon as I found a new job I was gone.

The kicker is that a month later at my annual review that absence, using a sick day I was entitled to and having called my manager three hours before my shift started and being my only absence the whole year, was used to deny me a raise.

Luckily a better job came along, but that's the kind of bullshit people have to deal with when they legitimately need a day off.

Fuck that place, seriously.

• Like 1

Okay, as someone who has had his foot run over once and been tapped by a slow-moving car once (and is legally blind with very limited distance and peripheral vision) I really want to know the story on this.

He bikes to work, (not very far. 2 or 3 miles each way.) About a month or two ago, he got nudged off it by a car. Wasn't too bad of a thing. His knee was sore for a few days.

This time, some last in a Honda hit him. Messed up his bike, and he was sore all over. I don't really know the circumstances of the crash, but I know my blood pressure was spiking at how dumb he was being. He limped home, pushing his bent bike along, then came into work the next day. I asked what the docs said. He said he was going this afternoon.

What kind of idiot PUTS OFF going to the hospital after getting hit by a car? He said "I didn't have a ride." I was torn between "I know like a dozen people you could have called, and I'm one of them," and "you know cabs operate at all hours of the day, not just drunk o'clock, right?" and "WELL THAT'S A SHAME IF ONLY THERE WERE SOME WAY TO GET VEHICLES TO THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT THAT WOULD TAKE YOU TO A HOSPITAL!"

Dude's a good kid but some ways he is just dumb as a fucking rock.

That's why it's depressing. People didn't develop this fear of staying home when sick naturally. It's a learned behavior.

Yeah, this.  I always feel bad for calling out and my boss is such a dick about it.  He's not overt about it, he just doesn't respond when I email to call out sick.  The bitch-ass passive aggressive treatment.  Fuck that guy.  When the guys who work under me call out, I make damn sure to let them know it's no big deal and I tell them I hope they feel better.  I don't even care if they're not sick; everybody has  a bank of PTO and it's their right to use it.  It's not hard to treat your employees with a modicum of decency.

EDIT: Holy shit, I should just count my blessings after reading offspring's post.  Glad your kid is better and that you found a better job, dude.  That shit is awful.

I work for fantastic people but in an odd job. If I call out sick, there is NO ONE that can do what I do. A live, one man morning show is virtually impossible to fill when I'm sick. Also, I'm at the studio no later that 5:30 am and am up at 4:30 so the time also makes it bloody tough to even get someone to answer the phone. As a result, if I don't have laryngitis and zero voice left, I'm at work. I've worked through fever, projectile puking, you name it. I put a sign on the studio door and spray lots of Lysol.

So, I have an anxiety disorder that requires me to take Xanax most nights to sleep.  Oh well, it happens, it's managed.  Most people in my life know about this, because I make light of it because, well, that's how I am.  Helps me deal with that and the Severe Depression I've been managing for most of my life now.

So SOMEONE violated my trust, and has been swiping Xanax from my medicine closet recently.  twice.  Someone with a house key that I trusted with a house key has been stealing my meds.  

Sadly, I'm pretty sure I know who it is, and I'm not suprised in the least, just another thing to add to the pile.

Yeah, we had to start hiding my girlfriend's meds when her mom comes over for that very reason.  It's not a great feeling.

Funnily enough ever since we started hiding them she doesn't come around as much.

Fuck that place, seriously.

This. Fuck 'em.

So, I have an anxiety disorder that requires me to take Xanax most nights to sleep.  Oh well, it happens, it's managed.  Most people in my life know about this, because I make light of it because, well, that's how I am.  Helps me deal with that and the Severe Depression I've been managing for most of my life now.

So SOMEONE violated my trust, and has been swiping Xanax from my medicine closet recently.  twice.  Someone with a house key that I trusted with a house key has been stealing my meds.  

Sadly, I'm pretty sure I know who it is, and I'm not suprised in the least, just another thing to add to the pile.

That's a shitter. Hope you feel better soon, pal. PM or Facebook me if you want to natter.

Verdict is in. I have been operating with a partially torn tendon in my elbow all year. Surgery is inevitable, it's a matter of scheduling the procedure when I can get time off work and can get my dad into town. Funny how having a name to put with the pain makes me so much more aware of it.

Verdict is in. I have been operating with a partially torn tendon in my elbow all year. Surgery is inevitable, it's a matter of scheduling the procedure when I can get time off work and can get my dad into town. Funny how having a name to put with the pain makes me so much more aware of it.

Still a better QB than anybody playing for the Redskins.
  • Like 1

So The Wife and I have been cruising along and getting bills caught up. We were finally square with our Landlord and then we get a text to The Wife's phone "Got October's rent, what happened to Septeber?".

Now I have to go through my paperwork and find the receipt for my cashier's check and find out if we're being screwed over by our Landlord (probably not, she has been very kind to us, even when we were 2 months behind). Got to make time in my schedule to check with my bank and see if check's have been cashed.

Its a minor thing but annoying ,especially when We worked so hard to get caught up.

James

Fuck Nebraska.

Edit: Just fuck the one person from Nebraska who decided to call my office and cuss me out about how the Canadian health care system keeps getting "stupider and stupider".  She can go Cornhusk herself.

Edited by Dewar

I need a roofer to come around and look at my roof, since I've obviously got a slow leak. Except it's busy season for them, what with winter faster approaching, so even the companies that have been recommended to me by friends won't even return phone calls. There are dudes that I'm phoning/texting/emailing every couple of days who haven't said peep. Shit, I wish I could so cavalierly shrug off work.

My apartment partially flooded due to a plumbing break in my neighbor's bathroom. No real damage to my own property aside from a dresser I'd been wanting to get rid of (it was in my closet because we had nowhere else to put it and no way to get rid of it with my fucked elbow and my dad being generally physically weak ever since chemo 7 years ago), but my closet had to be emptied into my living room along with a significant portion of my bedroom (the bed was moved against a wall where I can't get to it to change the sheets or anything). They pulled up the carpet to take out the padding, there's an industrial fan drying the area, and they're insisting there's no reason to replace the actual carpet. Closet drywall should be repaired by Friday so they can put down the new padding, but I'm terrified of mold and mildew.  This place has gone to hell since selling to a new owner in 2013, but I can't afford to move as even with a roommate I'll end up paying more (or else having to ride a bus to get to a grocery store or gym and doubling-or-worse my commute).  Fuck your carbon footprints, give me a self-driving car so I don't have to plan every detail of my life on the bus schedule.