DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

500 Miles, Sunshine On Leith, Letter from America, I'm On My Way. In Scotland they still get played on the radio, but it's only ever those 4 songs.

At least by name, 500 Miles remains the only one I know.

I have these days where my mind is cleared of all its clutter and I can fully see my life as it is. I spend my days mourning people who never cared about me and got happiness from hurting me. It is a terrible realization when you realize that is as good as it will get. 

Didn't get anything in the mail about the balance I have due to the hospital(from when I had bronchitis).  Checked the website today and it says I need to call the billing office...which is closed today, so I need to wait until tomorrow.  Hate waiting to find out something like that...hope it doesn't go into collections.

I know we closed the thread, but I feel like we HAVE to talk about this.  Vice on the scene and not in the media staging area. Tim Pool just picked up two journalists running for their lives.  .http://new.livestream.com/timcast/events/3295551

Multiple shots fired, Police moved in with tear gas/rubber bullets 3 hours before curfew, more shots fired, kids and journalists getting tear gassed.....

"They're shooting live rounds"

My "son of a..."

I can't stand the way any level of discourse on current events is just shut down on this board. Shit, discussion is pre-emptively shut down in case some people might disagree with others, as if we're all children incapable of having meaningful discussions. I don't get it. If someone is crossing a line, give that person a warning. But instead, like in school, the whole class gets punished for one person's bad behaviour. Is it because a mod doesn't want to "police" the threads? There's never been much need in my opinion, and surely that's what the "report post" function is for.

I obviously go elsewhere for discussion of current events in the world, so I'm not even asking for it to be allowed here. I just dislike the heavy handed attitude.

• Like 2

My "son of a..."

I can't stand the way any level of discourse on current events is just shut down on this board. Shit, discussion is pre-emptively shut down in case some people might disagree with others, as if we're all children incapable of having meaningful discussions. I don't get it. If someone is crossing a line, give that person a warning. But instead, like in school, the whole class gets punished for one person's bad behaviour. Is it because a mod doesn't want to "police" the threads? There's never been much need in my opinion, and surely that's what the "report post" function is for.

I obviously go elsewhere for discussion of current events in the world, so I'm not even asking for it to be allowed here. I just dislike the heavy handed attitude.

Man, I hear you, but I also remember the old politics subforum and how that'd spill out everywhere. This place just ain't built for it.

and if you don't remember it, you are so fortunate

• Like 2

My "son of a..."

Man, I hear you, but I also remember the old politics subforum and how that'd spill out everywhere. This place just ain't built for it.

and if you don't remember it, you are so fortunate

The thing is that, no matter how decent and/or intelligent an internet community is, discussion on a controversial subject is eventually going to devolve into name-calling and general stupidity. And, as BL88 pointed out, it eventually spills into other sections of the forum, just like the old politics forum did.

The folks that moderate places like this have a lot of other shit to worry about. And, since we're pretty much here at their leisure, if they want to drop the hammer so that they don't have to babysit things 24/7, then hey. . .that's the way it is.

• Like 2

Didn't get anything in the mail about the balance I have due to the hospital(from when I had bronchitis).  Checked the website today and it says I need to call the billing office...which is closed today, so I need to wait until tomorrow.  Hate waiting to find out something like that...hope it doesn't go into collections.

Ugh, good luck. I swear, hospitals will use any excuse (including "not being able to get in touch with patient" bullshit) to send stuff to collections. :-p

Pretty much all of the above re: Ferguson. Frankly, I'm surprised the admins let it go on as long as it did; if it were me I'd have pretty much made a thread for it just to lock it and leave a message saying "ALL THESE TOPICS ARE YOURS EXCEPT (insert hot-button topic here). ATTEMPT NO DISCUSSION HERE."

It can be shitty, yes, but unfortunately, discussing stuff like this on a forum, especially when it leaks onto other subforums is more trouble than it's worth, and I've been exposed to it enough to decide that if it were my call, my first instinct would be to nip it in the bud.

I guess I just think discussing an American city turned war zone is more important than a few headaches, but I will respect the rule on this.  Didn't mean to start the millionth version of this current events/no current events debate.  Was mostly just trying to provide updates.

Ugh, good luck. I swear, hospitals will use any excuse (including "not being able to get in touch with patient" bullshit) to send stuff to collections. :-p

Yup, went to a collection agency.  I thought it would be okay to make small payments per month but I guess not(I had been paying $10/mo.).  Now I'll be shelling out $50/mo.  Just gotta curb some of my extra spending and hope the work overtime doesn't run out any time soon.

No, I was quiet about it too but I was not pleased the thread was closed because of the comments from one person. However, it probably would have been good if people didn't argue with the person either... I understand why we can't discuss it because it probably would have gotten worse from there. Sucks.. it was going well for a few pages..

Friend calls me to tell me of a job opening, send in my résumé and all that along with a cover letter. Never written a cover letter before, so I'm somewhat nervous about that, plus, I've been at the job I'm at for over 10 years so I'm....comfortable, but I know I've reached the proverbial glass ceiling. Any tips for writing a good cover letter?

Early April I finally had enough of my hearing loss to go to the doctor and try to figure just what the deal is.  I'm pretty sure it's a Eustachian tube disorder brought on my colds/allergies.  Get a hearing test (as required) and the ENT is like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - "I have no idea what it is, how about we wait 3 months, and if it's still happening, we'll get you an MRI to see if you have tumors on your auditory nerves"

Fast forward to last Friday - 3 months later my left ear is back to 100%, but my right ear is still showing a weird hearing loss.  Says the ENT "I'm pretty sure it's a Eustachian tube disorder" 

john-goodman-table-flip-o.gif

• Like 1