DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

I started going bald at 18 so I just buzzed it and never looked back.  I go for clippers with no guard: you get a nice 1/16" stubble and it's impossible to screw up.

As someone who's hasn't got a single gray hair, but who HAS got a big ol' empty spot on the top of his head, I'd say this: Yeah, we baldies have that shit, but it's EXPENSIVE. Hair dye, by comparison, is pretty cheap.

IMO hair dye is no better than wearing hairpiece If you're balding. Its super noticeable and wears off quickly.

The only option would be embracing it, even though in my wildest dreams did I not

Imagine dealing with this at 27.

The real bugger of it is, as my hair is, even if I went for a combover it just ends up looking like I'm wearing a toupee. It's got that feather, floating-off-the-scalp look. I'd post a pic as an example if I knew how on the mobile page.

That's the bitch about losing hair in the front: anything you do to try and cover it up will invariably look worse. Your only real choices are shave it or own it and hope you can pull off an early-90s Bill Murray look.

I've been going bald since my early 20's (before that I was a metal head with really long hair) and I tried covering it up with different haircuts, always wearing hats, etc for a few years until I just said "fuck it" and do Zimbra's method of hitting my scalp with clippers every week or two. 

Even if you don't think it will look good/decent, believe me most people really don't give a fuck unless you have some sort of ridiculously obvious combover.  It's a lot less hassle and stress in the long run too.  Just wash your scalp a bit in the shower and put on some sunscreen and you're good to go.  No more wasting 30 minutes styling or restyling your hair and worrying about if the wind blows it. 

It also gave me more self confidence and got me to come out of my shell, which helped a lot with the ladies.  Even before I was married if some chick on a dating site said she didn't date bald guys, that was just a sign for me that she wasn't worth my time anyway.

BTW I've shaved it bald a few times, mostly for special occasions like my wedding, but in general, I find that look too much of a PITA to regularly maintain.  I hate shaving in general though since it tends to irritate my skin.

The one time I tried growing my hair out in the last 10 years, somebody said it looked like a toupee.

I was hoping to go grey. 40 years old, and I still don't have any.

I always had long hair growing up (I started growing it out when I was like 13). Every time I cut it short I ended up growing it long again. Then when I was 30 it had receded too far, so I started buzzing it. After a couple of months of that, I disliked that there's be one tuft in front that would always be slightly longer than the rest (it grew at a funny angle somehow) so I cueballed it. And have done ever since. It's great, people get scared of you. Then, around Easter this year, I noticed I was going through razorblades too quickly, so I grew my beard out (I'd been doing the winter beard thing for years, but I think this one's for ever. It's not grey).

A few weeks ago, I walked past the barber shop, and thought "Not been in there for a good while, I might need a trim soon". And then remembered I was a skinhead now.

Grey hair is awesome compared to no hair.

This.

In my early thirties right now, and I'm not dealing with either issue (though I've got the odd grey in my beard), but I'd much rather go grey than lose it. The men on my dad's side of the family all started losing hair in their late twenties, so it looks like I'll be taking after the men on my mother's side who both went stylishly grey. Seriously, one of my uncles has always borne a striking resemblance to Cary Grant. Unfortunately, I didn't get those genes.

I don't get the guys who freak out over grey hairs. I can understand being in your twenties where it wouldn't be all that great, but after that, it should be embraced. Dudes shouldn't be dying their hair.

Its one of those things where you don't really know how it feels until it happens to you.

Getting grey hair at 27 right on the heals of a breakup is not fun. But maybe I'm just overally sensitive.

The shit wouldn't bother me as much if I had at least crossed the 30 mark and/or was already married.

EN090, that break up must have been really bad if this drove you grey, but all those years of watching TNA had no effect!

Seriously though, I am 100% with you in terms of you don't know what it's like until it happens. I'm 29 and balding and I never thought I would care, but once it starts, you just sort of do. It's hard to explain.

• Like 1

I am sitting at my computer, minding my own business, and a big ol waterbug cockroach thing crawled on my bare foot :(  Now I am afraid to use my computer even though I found him and killed him after a 20 minute struggle.  I hate bugs.

Two bottles of my recently brewed beer exploded. I already feared I had added too much sugar for the fermenting on the bottle. Now I'm fearful for the others.

My two cents on the 'bald' discussion:

Westworld-Yul_l.jpg

Because my in-laws just can't catch a fucking break...

The house next door to my mother-in-law caught fire. She went to the hospital to get checked for smoke inhalation, but she's OK now. Now we're waiting for a Red Cross shuttle to take her to a shelter because her house is uninhabitable, in between the smoke and it just being a fucking disaster area in general. Imagine the hell it would have been if my father-in-law was still alive...

Been dealing with a skin infection called molluscum contagiosum and had 19 growths frozen on Thursday. Now my arm is full of brown scabs and it looks gross. Bathing in Apple Cider Vinegar because that helps bring them down and it smells so bad.

Fuck premature grey hair. Now, I realize this is a nothing-problem compared to some of the other things being talked about in this thread, but it still is really shitty-- especially when you're 27, going on 28. I guess its not as bad as balding.

The little bastards have been popping up all over my head for the last 9 months, ironically while going through a rough breakup. Anyone else dealt with this shit?

Just read the TNA thread. How's your hair holding up?

Hey! I finally have a bit of grey hair! Of course, with the buzzcut it's hardly noticeable, but I noticed it. About fucking time as I just turned 57. I do want several years of looking distinguished and a bit of grey works quite nicely. As my pal Edward Lee (who is two months older) pointed out, 57 is the new 35!

OSJ reminding one and all that "Age is just a question of mind over matter: If you don't mind, it don't matter!" - Leroy "Satchel" Paige