DVDVR Message Board

JUNE WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Just snagged some tix for a WWE house show a week from now , at a joint only about a half hour away. The venue is awesome, they never stop selling beer at the First Bank Center, my friends. And I have a designated driver. Whoooooooo.

Do they make cells that aren't smartphones?

Yes they do. I don't have a smartphone cause all I need my cell for is making phone calls. No need to text,take pictures/videos or go on the net with it.

And I'm sure your friends love you for it.

This is a general discussion thread, so, here's something general.

Friend of mine found that Force Choke Chokeslam gif and asked me "so at what point do you just pack up and go home on this hobby." We talked, and so here’s an analogy we made that makes sense if you play video games. Because he was all like "i never see you have enthusiasm" and I was all "I do, it's just really specific enthusiasm." Anyways.

WWE is major console developers. It’s really expensive. Sometimes it’s good, and sometimes they make infuriating decisions for no reason.

US Indies are smartphone games. I do not have a smartphone. I do not want a smartphone. I only kind of understand smartphones, but enough to know that I do not want a smartphone.

Mexico is the independent PC scene, full of really creative people doing wild shit because that’s their life’s goal. There’s a lot of legacy, but also a lot of people bursting out by being themselves and being different than everyone else. Basically, everything I fell in love with.

Japan is still Japan. Insular, kind of crazy looking, occasionally transcendent. A proud history but these days it’s mostly ignorable.

Japanese indies are Japanese phone games. What is… I don’t… just... make it stop. Go. Go enjoy it over there. It hurts my head too much.

I don't see how US Indies are smartphone games at all. Games like Angry Birds, Words With Friends and Candy Crush have all been ridiculously popular and part of mainstream culture. Just because you don't like either US Indies or smartphones doesn't make the analogy work.

• Like 2

On Ryder:

Can someone please tell me what's good about him? Honestly. What strengths does he bring to the table?

Okay, he clearly was over for a while. But HOW and WHY was he over? 

Willingness to mildly shoot on WWE for ignoring him in a vaguely funny way, and to take the piss out of himself. People like an underdog, and liked the fact that he's clearly a massive mark for wrestling. He had several over catchphrases, and recognisable offence. 

I'd keep arguing, but there's some serious goalpost moving and irrational hate going on to continue.

And I don't even really like Ryder that much, but the reasons given for hate are ridiculous.

Do they make cells that aren't smartphones?

Yes they do. I don't have a smartphone cause all I need my cell for is making phone calls. No need to text,take pictures/videos or go on the net with it.

When I was out of town for a conference once, my cell phone broke so I went to Best Buy and got a pay as you go flip phone for like 8 bucks. Cost me 20 to put enough minutes on it to last until I got home and could actually get my real one fixed (I ended up having to get a new one though). 

I was seen as an oddity for the two weeks that I had a flip phone. For my generation (mid 20s and younger), not having a smart phone is social suicide. 

Given that I have no idea what is booked, how does Money in the Bank look tonight?  Good enough to watch?

I think it will be a good show. Two ladder matches and what should be a great tag title match if given time. The rest is filler (two women's matches, Big E vs Russev again, Rhodes Bros vs. Rybaxel) but the ladder matches are the big deal and they should be good.

Just snagged some tix for a WWE house show a week from now , at a joint only about a half hour away. The venue is awesome, they never stop selling beer at the First Bank Center, my friends. And I have a designated driver. Whoooooooo.

Road Report!

The other thing with Ryder is as dopey as his gimmick was, it was pretty close to home for us living in Jersey. There are at least 5 or 6 Ryder clones at my gym.

....Then why would anyone outside of Jersey cheer for this guy? The guy's a tool, at worst his a douchbag.

And I think Punk burying the gimmick on air was the start of the "downfall." I mean, the guy with the top belt thinking someone is a fucking idiot is bound to affect the crowd.