DVDVR Message Board

JUNE WRESTLING DISCUSSION

My prediction is that I'll make it 3 matches in like the last show and start playing NBA 2K instead.

Do you have the Network? If so, you don't have to watch it live. Wait until the show is over, and see if any of us here say there's a few matches worth seeing and just watch those. There's two clusterfuck ladder matches, which are always worth seeing, even if they aren't great.

Yeah, pretty much the only reason I'm putting it on.  Just to have something to do for a little while.

Randy has been a long term above average hand with a main event look. In times when the main event scene is stacked with good performers (like now) he looks overrated and when the main event scene is barren he looks underrated.

Right now he's in no mans land. His heel turn was ill conceived and the crowd has acted accordingly. I honestly couldn't tell you what his character is. Is he supposed to be a killer, a suck up or an underachiever?

Yes.

The YES! Movement and Daniel Bryan's rise doesn't happen without a viable foil. HHH provided that in terms of making him jump through hoops. But Orton did a great job in sneaking out with victories and coming off like a whiny baby. I think they got the perfect reactions they wanted -- he put over the baby face.

Yeah good call by TNA not hiring Iveilsse. Last thing they would want is one of them girls who can rassle and might get over. 

As for Ryder, I always liked the underdog aspect of his character. He was this guy who should have never made it to where he was, but he went against the machine and got over using all the tools he had at his disposal. Youtube and Twitter were a game changer and the WWE failed to see that and when Ryder got over without their help it was like "well, we could reward this...BUT we don't want to encourage it either". So he got his moment in the sun and then had the proverbial magnifying glass put over him.

People want to root for an underdog. We want to root against the guy they say we're supposed to root for.

• Like 1

Yeah good call by TNA not hiring Iveilsse. Last thing they would want is one of them girls who can rassle and might get over. 

Not this again. She was fired from WWE and AAA for attitude issues. They reared their head with TNA too.

Just saw Darren Young in the NYC Gay Pride Parade.

Awesome.

He was at LA's parade last month too. A friend of mine talked with him for a while while I was trying to procure my car.

I never understood how Orton had "the look."  Shitty tattoos, a bad haircut and an outdated Ed Hardy/Axe Body Spray vibe are "the look"?  Never made any sense to me.  He doesn't look like a pro wrestler, he just looks like some douche.  I was so happy when Cena came in and took over the top spot that they tried so hard to hand to Orton.  He's a fucking bore on the mic and just so generic in the ring.  Dude is the lamest, and I really hate that he stopped smoking so much weed and found a way to fix his shoulder, because I was really hoping he'd be wading around TNA by now. 

• Like 2

My wife and her friends always thought he was a total buttaface, and the tribal shit was a dealbreaker.  They're more Punk/Jericho kinda gals, though, and I kinda look like D Bry these days, so they're certainly no experts on the typical lady boner. 

Not like mediocre in-ring ability has stopped them from pushing people before. They just protect some people more than others.

I have yet to see a Roman Reigns singles match that was particularly strong, for instance.

So let me get this straight now you wanna compare Ryder with Roman Reigns? Wow. Ryder was and is terrible is any wrestling situation. That's why his pushed was stopped and utterly destroyed.

If you think Ryder is terrible, you have not seen enough wrestling. He is a good wrestler that always has at worst decent matches,

• Like 2

I went to the Bangor, Maine house show last night.

1. R-Truth beat Titus O'Neil with the Lie Detector. Truth is a good person to send out first, fans were very into him.

Lights went out after the match and then he was attacked by Luke Harper and Erick Rowan. Harper said the Usos time was up, Rowan's mask had black paint or duct tape around the eyes and mouth area.

2. Sheamus beat Cesaro and Alberto del Rio in a triple threat when he pinned Del Rio after a Brogue Kick. Good match but the standard triple threat formula with two men fighting while the other is outside.

3. Paige & Nikki Bella defeated Alicia Fox and Rosa Mendes when Paige hit the Paige Turner on Alicia Fox. Paige seemed unsure of which side to enter the ring, which got a laugh from herself and Mike Chioda. Surprised they went with the Paige Turner as the finish and not The Modified Scorpion Crosslock That She Calls The PTO Paige Tap Out, as the PTO is the more visually satisfying move.

Alicia Fox freaked out after the match. Got in fans faces, ring the bell and chased both Rosa and Jason Roberts around the ring.

They showed the Connor's Cure video before the show and after the match. They edited out Connor punching and pinning Triple H. Still a very moving video. Justin Roberts was choking up and was visibly upset when giving instructions on how to donate.

4. The Usos beat the Wyatt Family when one of the Usos pinned Luke Haprer with a school boy. Wyatts attacked the Usos during the entrance. Good match as expected.

5. The Great Khali defeated Damien Sandow with a chop. The fans chose a match over a dance off. Sandow called the fans, "cheap Canadians". As someone who jumped across the border for this show, I thought that was pretty funny. It was a Khali match.

6. Rusev defeated Big E with the Accolade. Lana is great, she's always gicing instructions at ringside or making comments to the fans. When she mentioned Vladimir Putin, the entrance screens went dark. She said, "Where's the picture?! Stupid Americans!". The picture of Putin came on the screen a few seconds later. I'm not sure if that was planned or improv on her part. This was a fun big man. It may be cheap but the fans were really into it with the USA chants.

7. John Cena defeated Bray Wyatt in a Street Fight with an Attitude Adjustment through a table. A lot of kids with Cena shirts, overall the crowd was maybe 60% Pro Cena. Harper and Rowan attacked Cena during the match and the Usos made the save. Match continued for several more minutes with Bray dominating. They fought into the crowd and Wyatt threw Cena into the steel steps he had set in the entrance way. Wyatt also put Cena through a table with a running cross body and attacked him with a microphone. Cena eventually made the comeback and hit the AA for the win. Very good match.

A very fun experience overall. Attendance could have been better but the fans that were there seemed to enjoy themselves. 

Not like mediocre in-ring ability has stopped them from pushing people before. They just protect some people more than others.

I have yet to see a Roman Reigns singles match that was particularly strong, for instance.

So let me get this straight now you wanna compare Ryder with Roman Reigns? Wow. Ryder was and is terrible is any wrestling situation. That's why his pushed was stopped and utterly destroyed.

If you think Ryder is terrible, you have not seen enough wrestling. He is a good wrestler that always has at worst decent matches,

Above that, people sleep on his singles ECW run. Rosa helped, but he was good in that spot.

Do they make cells that aren't smartphones?

Yes they do. I don't have a smartphone cause all I need my cell for is making phone calls. No need to text,take pictures/videos or go on the net with it.

And I'm sure your friends love you for it.

This is a general discussion thread, so, here's something general.

Friend of mine found that Force Choke Chokeslam gif and asked me "so at what point do you just pack up and go home on this hobby." We talked, and so here’s an analogy we made that makes sense if you play video games. Because he was all like "i never see you have enthusiasm" and I was all "I do, it's just really specific enthusiasm." Anyways.

WWE is major console developers. It’s really expensive. Sometimes it’s good, and sometimes they make infuriating decisions for no reason.

US Indies are smartphone games. I do not have a smartphone. I do not want a smartphone. I only kind of understand smartphones, but enough to know that I do not want a smartphone.

Mexico is the independent PC scene, full of really creative people doing wild shit because that’s their life’s goal. There’s a lot of legacy, but also a lot of people bursting out by being themselves and being different than everyone else. Basically, everything I fell in love with.

Japan is still Japan. Insular, kind of crazy looking, occasionally transcendent. A proud history but these days it’s mostly ignorable.

Japanese indies are Japanese phone games. What is… I don’t… just... make it stop. Go. Go enjoy it over there. It hurts my head too much.

I don't see how US Indies are smartphone games at all. Games like Angry Birds, Words With Friends and Candy Crush have all been ridiculously popular and part of mainstream culture. Just because you don't like either US Indies or smartphones doesn't make the analogy work.

My friends really don't care. If they need to call me they can. Why would they care if I had a smartphone or not?

I don't have a smartphone either, but can you actually buy cellphones in the US that can't text?

My phone can text. But each text cost me. So I just turned that feature off. Why spend 3 minutes typing when I can call the person and tell them the same thing in under 20 seconds. I have never understood the need for texting when you have a device that allows you to call and talk.

Do they make cells that aren't smartphones?

Yes they do. I don't have a smartphone cause all I need my cell for is making phone calls. No need to text,take pictures/videos or go on the net with it.

When I was out of town for a conference once, my cell phone broke so I went to Best Buy and got a pay as you go flip phone for like 8 bucks. Cost me 20 to put enough minutes on it to last until I got home and could actually get my real one fixed (I ended up having to get a new one though). 

I was seen as an oddity for the two weeks that I had a flip phone. For my generation (mid 20s and younger), not having a smart phone is social suicide. 

See I am almost 40. Half my friends my age have a phone similar to mine. Hell I didn't get a cellphone until 2008. Had no need for  one. Only got one because I have to make long trips every few months.

You don't have a smartphone? How is that even possible!?!

Well... when I have money, I can exchange it for goods and services. 

Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts

• Like 2

I don't see how US Indies are smartphone games at all. Games like Angry Birds, Words With Friends and Candy Crush have all been ridiculously popular and part of mainstream culture. Just because you don't like either US Indies or smartphones doesn't make the analogy work.

angry birds came out on a bunch of consoles, which is your "indie guy nakes it big" metaphor

and for every angry birds, there's hundreds of garbage knockoffs that change little things and insist that makes them different enough to be valuable

and, there are plenty of people (clash of clans) that don't ever want to make it to the big time. They've decided this is it, so they just exist how they are until they can't. so, chikara.

boom

now I dont want to talk about that any more

Why is Rusev's finisher called the Accolade?  Usually WWE finishers have names that relate to the character somehow.  I would think the "Da Svidanya" or the "Kremlin Krusher" or something along those lines would make more sense.

Above that, people sleep on his singles ECW run. Rosa helped, but he was good in that spot.

I think it's the opposite. I've seen so much wrestling I know how shitty he is. I will admit I haven't seen this vaunted ECW run but I feel pretty safe about my opinion.

I don't have a smartphone either, but can you actually buy cellphones in the US that can't text?

My phone can text. But each text cost me. So I just turned that feature off. Why spend 3 minutes typing when I can call the person and tell them the same thing in under 20 seconds. I have never understood the need for texting when you have a device that allows you to call and talk.

Liars are big fans of texting. Texting takes out little things like tone and inflection. This is a golden age for two faced shit heads. 

• Like 3