DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I would be wary of pairing Bosh and Dirk.  They do similar things albeit with different techniques and I'm sure both would prefer playing power forward over center. 

Exactly, and that's how most of us Mavs fans feel about it.  I would MUCH rather upgrade to a better legit center.  Sammy is good when he's actually making effort, but you never know when that is.  I would love to make a run at Gortat.

If Roy Hibbert wasn't overpriced, I actually think he would be a decent fit behind Dirk as the defensive anchor the Mavs have been looking for since Chandler left.  He would probably have less offensive responsibility there too.

Random thought.

Honestly, I think Carlisle could get something out of him.  Chandler was shot before Dallas. Dalembert really worked his ass off in the second half of the season once he saw that Carlisle would bench his ass.  I think Hibbert could be similar.

Yay, a stalker among us! You'll be alongside that crazy chick Dirk dated who had like 12 aliases. Don't get caught, friend! :)

It'll be fine once I make him understand.......

I think once he hears the singing telegram I sent, everything will be fine.

I hope it was a Hasslehoff song.

And, hell, even when Hibbert was playing flat out terrible on offense, he was still probably the best rim protector in the NBA.  Definitely one of the three or four best.

Keep David Lee way the fuck away from the Timberwolves. Even with Klay in the deal, the only way I'd ever do that trade is if a third team was involved and they were the ones who took Lee. Don't like the proposed Denver deal either. Minnesota already has way too many meh guys on the roster to add any more.

Apparently David Blatt to the Cavs is a thing.  They're still in contract negotiations, but it looks like it'll get done.  They'd like to bring in Tyronn Lue as associate head coach, but it's unlikely he'll leave the Clippers for anything less than being head coach.

Pat Riley is awesome and this is exactly what I was saying previously. You don't blow it up because you got beat. You fucking tweak it so you can get back again next year....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yveEJGBLzk

I guess he got a bunch of wishy washy responses from the Big 3 about returning.  Basically called them a bunch of gutless pukes.

Yeah, but what is he supposed to say.  They can say their lack of spending in the last season didn't have anything, but they sure released or traded all of their mid priced players for guys who would take the minimum just to stay in the league.  They built a team that was basically devoid of role players, and now the good players are gutless for being pissed.  LeBron did everything he could, Bosh played the role that they gave him, and Wade did what his body could handle, and they lost.  The players job is to play, but the front office should get get as much blame as the players because they built a team that couldn't compete at the highest level.  Riley is entertaining, but he is also completely full of shit.  Every time a player wants to go to a better team it is because he is a coward, it is never because the people in charge aren't building a good enough team.  Maybe the front office people should have to do their jobs too.

• Like 1

Back on the topic of max players, I think in the NBA, superstars are underpaid while stars/role players. are overpaid. Remember, there was a 2-3 year stretch where Rashard Lewis was the second highest paid player in the league. Look at Asik and Lin's contracts. Lin turned a ten game stretch with the Knicks into an overpaid contract w/ the Rockets.

Pat Riley is awesome and this is exactly what I was saying previously. You don't blow it up because you got beat. You fucking tweak it so you can get back again next year....

I guess he got a bunch of wishy washy responses from the Big 3 about returning.  Basically called them a bunch of gutless pukes.

Yeah, but what is he supposed to say.  They can say their lack of spending in the last season didn't have anything, but they sure released or traded all of their mid priced players for guys who would take the minimum just to stay in the league.  They built a team that was basically devoid of role players, and now the good players are gutless for being pissed.  LeBron did everything he could, Bosh played the role that they gave him, and Wade did what his body could handle, and they lost.  The players job is to play, but the front office should get get as much blame as the players because they built a team that couldn't compete at the highest level.  Riley is entertaining, but he is also completely full of shit.  Every time a player wants to go to a better team it is because he is a coward, it is never because the people in charge aren't building a good enough team.  Maybe the front office people should have to do their jobs too.

Wait... they won the championship last year with the exact same supporting cast except for Mike MIller and Rashard Lewis was decent in the finals scoring double digits in a few games. They won the championship with the players they had. They couldn't do it against this Spurs team. That is what Riley is saying. We'll come back next year because our guys won two in a row with 4 trips. don't blow up the whole thing because we are feeling down right now. If the Heat resign the Big Three and can't get a decent group of mid carders and openers then blame the Heat management. The front office did nothing wrong this year in assuming their group of guys could get it done again. Every great team faces adversity (except for the 60s Celtics for 8 years) and you keep your core together until they can't go anymore. If you blow it up, you have the Bulls who took a decade to even get competitive again. 

Wait... they won the championship last year with the exact same supporting cast except for Mike MIller and Rashard Lewis was decent in the finals scoring double digits in a few games. They won the championship with the players they had. They couldn't do it against this Spurs team. That is what Riley is saying. We'll come back next year because our guys won two in a row with 4 trips. don't blow up the whole thing because we are feeling down right now. If the Heat resign the Big Three and can't get a decent group of mid carders and openers then blame the Heat management. The front office did nothing wrong this year in assuming their group of guys could get it done again. Every great team faces adversity (except for the 60s Celtics for 8 years) and you keep your core together until they can't go anymore. If you blow it up, you have the Bulls who took a decade to even get competitive again. 

So you are saying that doing nothing except bringing in Oden and Beasley was enough?  They won the title last year by the skin of their teeth, and decided they didn't need to do anything else.  They knew that Wade  was diminishing or they wouldn't have sat him for 30 games.  They knew they had trouble with big centers so they had Bosh shooting threes to keep the big men out of the paint.  They didn't do anything about their rebounding troubles or the fact that their age was slowing them down to the point that the wouldn't be able to play the same type of swarming defense that led to their championships.  I'm not saying they had to blow it up, but instead of bringing in flameouts and wierdos like Oden and Beasley they could have brought in some quality role players who could actually contribute to an NBA team.  I'm not saying they should get all the blame, I'm saying they shouldn't be on TV talking shit like they don't deserve any of the blame.

In case you missed it:

This was awesome!!!

The first NBA tweets one is pretty great, too.  There's a great one in there dinging Shaq for his Buick commercial.

If you are paying a player max money and he's not giving that to you on the court it's going to be difficult..  I don't think this is on management yet because really their hands will be tied if Wade and Bosh opt in. I can't blame Wade or Bosh if they do opt in but can I blame management if this is what happens? I suppose you could say they should have known these guys wouldn't be worth max money for the longterm but that would have been difficult to predict. Bosh is only 30 and Wade is 32. This is more about Wade anyway... Bosh has been asked to do a lot of things that will limit his production.

Back on the topic of max players, I think in the NBA, superstars are underpaid while stars/role players. are overpaid. Remember, there was a 2-3 year stretch where Rashard Lewis was the second highest paid player in the league. Look at Asik and Lin's contracts. Lin turned a ten game stretch with the Knicks into an overpaid contract w/ the Rockets.

I think you have to blame bad teams for this because there are so many bad teams that are willing to pay superstar money for good to great players because they're unable to get superstar players to come and play for their teams. Which makes it that much more difficult for the good to great teams to keep players because how are you going tell your player who is better than some overpaid player that you're not going pay him more especially when other teams are going be willing to do so?

One thing I have to applaud the Mavericks the last couple seasons is for not freaking out when they had money to spend and feeling the need to sign players for too much money for too long.

A couple days ago the rumor going around was the Sixers trying to work out a trade to get a pick between 3-10. Without giving up either of those picks. MCW being traded has been showing up a lot over the last week. I see Ryen Russilo tweeted this morning that the rumored deal is Sixers get the 7th pick and Nash from the Lakers. Lakers get MCW and Thaddeus Young. Not sure what to think about this. 

A couple days ago the rumor going around was the Sixers trying to work out a trade to get a pick between 3-10. Without giving up either of those picks. MCW being traded has been showing up a lot over the last week. I see Ryen Russilo tweeted this morning that the rumored deal is Sixers get the 7th pick and Nash from the Lakers. Lakers get MCW and Thaddeus Young. Not sure what to think about this. 

I would trade MCW in a minute flat. I like the kid and he's got some talent but he can't shoot a lick. Maybe he will some day but he's already incredibly overrated. He's a nice player but he's not anything too great. He got to put up numbers on an awful team that played at an insane pace. 

That would be interesting, but I think they'd prefer the 10th pick instead of Young.

Lakers are bringing in Shabazz Napier and a few others for more workouts during the weekend. Lakers have mentioned they want another 1st round pick. They have cap room and only 3 players under contract, so I could see them taking a 1st round pick as part of helping some other team clear cap room for a run at Melo or Lebron.

I would trade MCW in a minute flat. I like the kid and he's got some talent but he can't shoot a lick. Maybe he will some day but he's already incredibly overrated. He's a nice player but he's not anything too great. He got to put up numbers on an awful team that played at an insane pace. 

Yeah a few places I read about the Sixers people have been talking about him like he is a stud that can't be moved. I will say this for him. He was wretched last year in summer league and the preseason but showed a lot of growth in the regular season. So the potential for more growth might be there. He had that one terrible month, February I think, that he averaged as many turnovers as assists. Finished strong though. I have been pretty consistent with comparing him to Tyreke Evans. Only Evans shot a better percentage since Evans could actually finish when he got to the rim. I suspect MCW will flatline though as far as progress. Like Evans did. He was younger though so it was probably more disappointing for Kings fans. So now would be the time to sell high if Hinkie believes that to be the case. I think I value Young more than most people. Can play PF or SF. Can put up 20 points in a game without having a single play called for him based solely on hustle. He is the perfect compliment piece as a 3rd option or 6th man. I still have to get use to the idea that a 25 year old is considered old for this team. I was hoping they were going to try and be competitive sooner. They were the youngest team in league history at the start of the season last year. Should break that this year.

That would be interesting, but I think they'd prefer the 10th pick instead of Young.

Lakers are bringing in Shabazz Napier and a few others for more workouts during the weekend. Lakers have mentioned they want another 1st round pick. They have cap room and only 3 players under contract, so I could see them taking a 1st round pick as part of helping some other team clear cap room for a run at Melo or Lebron.

Yeah I can understand preferring the pick. I think the goal here is to get the 7. Send the 3rd pick and 7th pick to Cleveland for the 1st pick or the 3rd and 10th. I think these trade talks continuing means that is still an option at this point. Also that Cleveland doesn't want Young. They don't really have any use for MCW so Sixers really don't have any choice but to try and use them to get a pick. 

I suppose there is an outside chance that they could pull off that trade. Draft Exum at 3 and use 7 and 10 on a sg, sf or pf. It would be interesting if that happened and Embiid was still on the board at 7. This is going to be one of the longest weeks of my life.

They aired the first 4 Spurs title clinching games on NBATV so I DVR'd them and watched a bit of the first two. 

Duncan really hasn't lost that much except for probably some power and the stamina to be used as much as he was back then.  No wonder the Spurs got the rep as being boring because they would eat up so much shot clock by running their offense through him almost every time up the floor.  Pushing the ball didn't even seem to be an option in 1999 but they didn't really have the team to do it.

They pushed it a little more against the Nets with Parker, Manu, and even Captain Jack.  The fun thing about that game is Speedy Claxton inexplicably was huge in that game.  He came in, locked down Kidd and turned the game around.  Parker never even got back in the game in the second half.  Claxton played 23 minutes, had 13 points, 4 assists and was a +21.  I love basketball reference because I see on his profile that he basically parlayed that into a $3 million per year from the Warriors.