DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

What I don't get with Paul Westhead is this: He takes over McKinney's team and keeps the fast break offense and wins a title.  Then he slows things down to "put his own stamp on things" which is dumb but I get.  What I don't get is why putting his own stamp on things meant slowing it down?  Everywhere else he coached, Westhead's teams rank like crazy - Loyola Marymount, the Nuggets, etc.

Westhead's system is predicated on each guy on the court running to the same exact spot on the basketball court on every fast break. And then, from the first pass, there are a series of options that can happen, but the first option is to take a jump shot if available. The second is to dump it into the post. It's a ridiculously simple style of fast break basketball. That has its advantages in a lot of ways, but at the same time it's easy to snuff out. The Lakers also had a young Magic Johnson, the most creative passer in basketball history at that point in time (and maybe still), and he was limited because the freelancing of his game on breaks was essentially taken away from him. Getting the ball to Kareem was always a good idea but trying to get him to sprint into position was probably a bit problematic.

[...]

Thank you so much for that detailed response.  Great read and very much appreciated.  Paul Westhead, by all accounts, sounds like the basketball version of Mike Leach, the weird but brilliant football coach for Washington State (and previously Texas Tech).  

Just for fun, here's the game where Troy State scores 258 points

WOJ!

Also, I am now wondering how amazing Magic would be in the modern NBA with no hand checking and zone defenses now being allowed.

Magic is a really tricky player to compare to the modern era.  He was amazing in his era, but the idea of a 6'9" perimeter player is not as much of a anomoly as it was in his era.  He wasn't a great shooter, was average athletically and was a poor defender and it is hard to hide a 6'9" guy who can't defend his position.  He would be matched up against guys like LeBron, KD, George, and Melo, and those guys are all just tough matchups for Magic.  He won't be quick enough to match up with Paul, Westbrook, Parker and the other elite point guards, or strong enough to deal with guys his size.  The league is so pick-and-roll heavy right now i think it would expose his biggest weaknesses as a player.  On offense he is an average shooter, so teams can go under the screens to defend his passes and live with him shooting from the perimeter.  On defense they'd put him in situations that will make him defend guys he has no chance to guard.  A lot of guys in the league right now would give him fits.

On the other hand, Magic has some of the most insane court vision in the history of the league.  He is also a super competitive guy who understands how to play basketball like few players we've ever seen.  What would happen if he was the point guard of the Pacers this season?  They would have a guy who can handle the ball so George and Stephenson can run the floor and not be responsible for setting up their non existent offense.  Who would be better at stroking Hibbert's fragile ego than Magic Johnson?  There is no way he gets to the point where he falls apart like he did in the playoofs if Magic is on the team.  David West would probably be the best served for playing with Magic, because no one was better at getting the ball into the post than Magic.  He would also be great on the Thunder.  If they moved Westbrook to the 2, and hired a coach that actually ran plays, how do you stop that team from blowing your doors off every night.  The team that would be the best for him would be the Clippers.  Magic running the fast break with Blake and DeAndre would be devastating.  They'd have three 6'9" guys running full speed down the court with the best fastbreak passer in the history of mankind.  Get a couple of guys who shoot the corner 3 and I don't know how to defend them.

Latest rumor...

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine 

One source insists nothing imminent, but I'm told Pistons and Kings have discussed a trade that would send Josh Smith to Sacramento

I imagine Brian Fowler spitting soda at a computer monitor as he reads that.

A Smith-Gay-Cousins frontline would be interesting...

Also Rondo for the 8th pick...

Imagine a Rondo-McLemore-Smith-Gay-Cousins lineup. Teams would just dare Rondo & Smith to shoot. Then they'd just wait for the Cousins meltdown.

Edited by AlfredoE

I...  You mean someone might actually take Smith's contract?

And even give the Pistons something in return for him?

Seriously?

No, seriously?

Cause if we can clear the triple big logjam by moving him, then by all means resign Monroe.

• Like 1

I can't believe people are talking so much about Lebron when there is a fraction of a chance that Josh Smith and Cousins might be on the same team.  Throw Rondo in there and we have the news Kings of the West.

This would make up for the Shield breaking up.  Believe in the Kings.

• Like 1

I have zero belief that a team with Josh Smith, Rudy Gay, Demarcus Cousins, and Rajon Rondo would do anything but implode.

That being said I really, really want to see it because it would be a magnificent trainwreck.

2013-2014 Boston Celtics Season

THIS SEASON IS A PASS. THE FUTURE'S BRIGHT THOUGH. WE HAVE ALL THESE DRAFT PICKS. AND WE HAVE RONDO. IT WILL BE AWESOME!

2013-2014 Boston Celtics Offseason

Draft Oden 2.0 and trade Rondo.

Fucking shoot me.

A Rondo/Rudy/Cousins/Josh Smith team becomes the best League Pass team in eons because the chances of the team fist-fighting or the head coach literally quitting in the middle of a game will be at all-time highs.

Tim Duncan took his option so at least one more season with Timmy in the same team he started with in what will probably be another 50 win season in the West contending for a championship. I love consistency. 

I...  You mean someone might actually take Smith's contract?

And even give the Pistons something in return for him?

Seriously?

No, seriously?

Cause if we can clear the triple big logjam by moving him, then by all means resign Monroe.

Really. 

God bless whoever bongs out harder than Joe Dumars. 

If we can get Rondo, J Smoove and Boogie on the same team, I think Adam Silver needs to somehow force the Cavs to trade them Dion Waiters.

I feel bad for Josh Smith in that situation.  J Smoove seems like a decent guy, who is just a bone head.  Those other guys aren't bad guys, but they will punch you in the face.  That doesn't bode well at all with the guy whose most reconizable trait is his questionable decision making.