DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I don't think LeBron would join the Nets only because they have a pretty dismal future and I think LeBron's going to look at that more closely if he goes anyway. I'm sure if you told LeBron in 2010 that by 2014 Wade would be done, Bosh would be unable to have two big games back-to-back, and the best they've added to the roster is Greg Oden....he'd laugh.

Plus, Deron Williams is just not good anymore. Period.

Good God, I want Kevin Love too, but not at the new price they're saying:

Both First Round Picks this year

Future First Round Pick (or multiple)

Sullinger

Olynyk

That's just absurd and you're gutting the team of two players that have a bright future.

Kevin Love is great to me, but he's not Kevin Garnett and we only gave up two draft picks and Al Jefferson who we were misusing anyway.

I read it was Love to the Celtics for the 6th, 17th, and either Olynyk or Sullinger (not both). That would be a pretty great deal for the TWolves.  I think it would be good for Boston as well, but I'm not sure how much cap room they have.  I would think adding Love w/ Rondo would mean they'd want to add another major free agent, but I haven't checked what their cap is like. 

I'm pretty amazed that if you would have asked me in December that the Lakers had a shot at either Randle or Smart with the 7th pick in the draft, I would be doing cartwheels at that possibility. Now, its even possible that they might pass on both for Elfrid Payton, who seems to be climbing up most draft boards. Lakers are bringing in Payton and Smart for a 2nd workout this week. Randle's in today.

What I heard is that it's the 6th, 17th, a future first rounder (maybe two), Sullinger, AND Olynyk.

Ugh.

Also, I don't really know who else out there could really do anything? We'd have to gut to land Melo and I don't even want Melo. Deng could be good, but I think the best scenario would be for Pierce to re-sign with the Celtics and take a 6th man role off the bench. He can mentor a lot of the young talent some more and we can build around Love-Rondo with Bradley, Sullinger/Olynyk, and even Green.

I'm not ready to throw the towel in on Green yet, but if it comes down to it, I'd rather send Green off than Sullinger/Olynyk.

The Celtics would have to do some salary dumps to clear cap space to sign Heyward to an offer sheet.  I don't think they are sending out a couple of picks with contracts to sign Heyward while having to renounce the full MLE and the traded player exception from the Nets trade.  A sign-and-trade might be possible.

As for a possible Love deal, I get the sense that Minnesota wants to get Boston to throw a Melo-like haul of everything they can offer and Danny Ainge is the kind of GM who will resist doing that.  There are a lot of Boston fans who think that a trade for Kevin Love will lead to using the TPE to get Omer Asik from the Rockets and possibly using some unguaranteed contracts to swap for Jeremy Lin so that the Rockets have the cap space to sign someone like Carmelo Anthony.  That would give the Celtics a starting lineup of Asik, Love, Green, Bradley, and Rondo.  They'd have the MLE and the BAE to fortify a bench that is likely to include Gerald Wallace (overpaid, but probably an adequate production level for your 8th or 9th man), at least one of Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk (I can see the Celtics giving up one but not both), and Vitor Faverani (who recorded a 12 point, 18 rebound game early in the season then disappeared).  I'd expect Brandon Bass and Joel Anthony to be candidates for use as trade ballast in a Love deal since they have expiring contracts.  The Celtics might use Bird rights to retain Jerryd Bayless or Kris Humphries for their bench.

My best-case scenario for the Celtics is that they trade for Asik and Love and use the MLE to sign a potential SMOY candidate who can team with either Sullinger or Olynyk to give Boston some solid scoring off the bench.

.  Dallas is a longshot as well, and to be quite candid, I don't want the Lebron media circus and bandwagon fans on my team. 

You don't want it, but I can tell you Dirk and Cuban would not mind.  Dirk is out here recruiting Melo (and Deron Williams in the past); he would blow a load if Lebron signed.  Okay, maybe that would be Cuban.

I don't know what kind of personal relationship Dirk has with Lebron, if any.  I know he and Cuban both hold plenty of ill will towards the Heat organization, and I don't know if Lebron is guilty by association.  As a PLAYER, yes, I would absolutely want Lebron in Dallas.  Do I want the headache that comes with him?  Not at all.  Melo would not bring that kind of circus(or defense).  With that said, the idea is so far out of reach, I've not heard it discussed as anything more than a "what if".

DougN, have there been any rumors or conversation from the Celtics media about them putting out an offer sheet on Heyward? His connection with Stevens is the only reason I ask.

I haven't heard any rumors, but I think most people have been talking about it since the start of the year. It's definitely been talked about on some Celtics forum I go to and the Celtics sub-reddit.

I'd love to see it, but I don't think it's on the Celtics radar tbh even though he is a free agent. Plus, I think they realize that if they get Love, well they have Green too and they can't unload on him and have invested so much in him that it'd be a waste for his career to have him be a Sixth Man....and it'd be a waste to have Gordon as a Sixth Man.

I think that's garbage IMO, but I think that's probably the mindset.

Have there been any officially-announced retirements besides D-Fish and Battier yet?

I finally watched the Bad Boys 30 for 30 last night.  Bill Laimbeer is pretty clearly a sociopath.

As a PLAYER, yes, I would absolutely want Lebron in Dallas.  Do I want the headache that comes with him?  Not at all. 

If Miami fans ever got a headache from Lebron all they'd have to do is take two of these:

Larry_obrien_championship.jpg

• Like 3

I don't know what kind of personal relationship Dirk has with Lebron, if any.  I know he and Cuban both hold plenty of ill will towards the Heat organization, and I don't know if Lebron is guilty by association.  As a PLAYER, yes, I would absolutely want Lebron in Dallas.  Do I want the headache that comes with him?  Not at all.  Melo would not bring that kind of circus(or defense).  With that said, the idea is so far out of reach, I've not heard it discussed as anything more than a "what if".

Cuban and Dirk are not stupid.  I highly doubt Melo and Dirk have any kind of personal relationship.  Plus, there are numerous rumors they are interested in signing Chris Bosh.  Whatever ill they have/had toward the Heat (or Wade/Lebron for making fun of Dirk) isn't going to prevent them from making smart basketball moves.  Cuban/Dirk won their championship against the Heat already, and they would like another.  If they got word from Lebron, he was legitimately interested, I'm sure they would be all over it.  They probably know now there's little to no shot at him, which is why we're hearing Melo and Bosh's names being brought for Dallas.

As for media circus, your owner is Mark Cuban.  To each his own, etc.

I just know that if I were a true Heat fan, I'd be at my wits end with the constant ESPN scrutiny of my team, and the bandwagon fans.  Like I said earlier, from a production standpoint, I wouldn't even think twice about signing Lebron James.  With that said, if I'm Cuban, of course I do it.  Championship trumps everything.  Signing Bosh would be absurd.  I've already seen Dirk try to coexist with another stretch big on the floor, and it was awful.

Bosh seems like he'd be a fit at 4 with the Rockets. He'd give Howard the space inside and wouldn't have to worry about rebounding. Maybe he accepts the iPad from Morey this time around. :)

I still think the likeliest scenario for Wade/Bosh/Lebron is to all opt-in.

Four Finals and two rings - you don't break up that band. And the story will be that they split because they couldn't handle the Spurs and none of those egos will want that going around.

I find it interesting that Birdman is going FA tho. I'd find it damn hard to opt out of that team.