DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Anybody else remember when T showed up randomly in World Class?

Yes.  He was in Kerry Von Erich's corner when he took on Bam Bam Bigelow.  I also remember the classic Apter mag article about that match where Mr. T's great advice led to Kerry overcoming adversity to help beat Bigelow.  His great advice?  To get back in the ring and win by countout.

Yes.  He was in Kerry Von Erich's corner when he took on Bam Bam Bigelow.  I also remember the classic Apter mag article about that match where Mr. T's great advice led to Kerry overcoming adversity to help beat Bigelow.  His great advice?  To get back in the ring and win by countout.

can't argue with that advice.

Yes.  He was in Kerry Von Erich's corner when he took on Bam Bam Bigelow.

somebody please tell me that this match is available online. because a quick google search does not come up with anything.

How many matches involved a babyface just no selling Flair's chops in the corner? I'm watching a lot of his matches lately on the Network and I've been seeing it.

Tons of them. That was one of Flair's "go to" spots when he was working with a big muscled up Road Warrior/Lex Luger type. Very much Flair by the numbers.

Yes. He was in Kerry Von Erich's corner when he took on Bam Bam Bigelow. I also remember the classic Apter mag article about that match where Mr. T's great advice led to Kerry overcoming adversity to help beat Bigelow. His great advice? To get back in the ring and win by countout.

Mr. T's great advice to KVE? That advice had to begin and end with more cocaine.

Going back to the highest ratings, is there a way of working out with inflation which era of the wwf/e made them the most money?

From the numbers discussed before surrounding SNME, it would seem like the Hogan 80s early 90s era had a really big audience, but I don't know if they were raking it in at the time.

Did the Stone Cold/Attitude era make more profit for WWE, or were they spending a lot on promotion/competition with WCW at the time to capitalise?

I also feel with how the company is now, it's so much more global than ever before. Although ratings are down and it's not as mainstream as Attitude was, they seem more adept at squeezing money out of people and appear to be giving it much more of the hard sell than I remember during any other period or from the perspective of watching it on TV.

Yes. He was in Kerry Von Erich's corner when he took on Bam Bam Bigelow. I also remember the classic Apter mag article about that match where Mr. T's great advice led to Kerry overcoming adversity to help beat Bigelow. His great advice? To get back in the ring and win by countout.

Mr. T's great advice to KVE? That advice had to begin and end with more cocaine.

Always listen to your momma.

• Like 1

Going back to the highest ratings, is there a way of working out with inflation which era of the wwf/e made them the most money?

From the numbers discussed before surrounding SNME, it would seem like the Hogan 80s early 90s era had a really big audience, but I don't know if they were raking it in at the time.

Did the Stone Cold/Attitude era make more profit for WWE, or were they spending a lot on promotion/competition with WCW at the time to capitalise?

I also feel with how the company is now, it's so much more global than ever before. Although ratings are down and it's not as mainstream as Attitude was, they seem more adept at squeezing money out of people and appear to be giving it much more of the hard sell than I remember during any other period or from the perspective of watching it on TV.

Didn't the WWF have a relatively slim payroll in 1998 and 1999? I would imagine that they spent a ton in the late 80s modernizing their production for NBC. They were also paying a lot to the guys that they stole from the territories. I have to assume that the Attitude Era was more profitable. 

Factoring in inflation is tricky, but I would think with merchandise sales prob being about even, and ad revenue from their programming prob being close too, the Attitude era still had millions (if not tens of millions) coming from PPV sales and a thriving videotape/DVD market that just wasn't there in the 80s.

I would think the Attitude era wins.  The Vince of the 80s had the money to get back on network television.  The Vince of the 2000s had the money to put a football league on that network.

Factoring in inflation is tricky, but I would think with merchandise sales prob being about even, and ad revenue from their programming prob being close too, the Attitude era still had millions (if not tens of millions) coming from PPV sales and a thriving videotape/DVD market that just wasn't there in the 80s.

I would think the Attitude era wins.  The Vince of the 80s had the money to get back on network television.  The Vince of the 2000s had the money to put a football league on that network.

I could have sworn that Dave said Austin/Attitude Era merch sales were way greater than Hogan/80's boom sales if only because wrestling merch was way more accessible in the 90's.

Without inflation, the most profitable year was 2001, I believe.

The Invasion drew a considerable amount of money. Of course, they fucked up the follow up and started the great slump of the early 2000s but the idea drew very well. 

IIRC, the Invasion ppv was the biggest drawing non-big 4 ppv of all of the times (tm Santino).

Didn't WWF Shop become a thing in the late 90s? Ordering online was a game changer for merch sales I assume.

Also that. I remember seeing commercials for ShopZone and wanted to browse it so bad but I didn't get a computer until Christmas of 1997.