DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

when did the Pipes knocking Vinny Mac happen, was that when he was on crutches after the motorcycle accident when he did the angle with Virgil/Ted DiBiase or after that?

Okay, somebody has to explain this to me. My first exposure to wrestling on TV that I remember is Roddy on crutches and DiBiase taunting/beating on him. What was the angle?

when did the Pipes knocking Vinny Mac happen, was that when he was on crutches after the motorcycle accident when he did the angle with Virgil/Ted DiBiase or after that?

Okay, somebody has to explain this to me. My first exposure to wrestling on TV that I remember is Roddy on crutches and DiBiase taunting/beating on him. What was the angle?

Piper was encouraging/training Virgil. And had a (AFAIK real life) motorcycle accident hence the crutches.

Piper was encouraging/training Virgil. And had a (AFAIK real life) motorcycle accident hence the crutches.

The motorcycle accident was kayfabe, in reality he had the first of many hip surgeries.

Um...I have a second question then.

Why was Piper's original team what it was? I'm assuming they were all friends of his?

I remember there was a rumor for a while that one of those guys he beat first was Goldberg before getting the Goldberg gimmick but I think it's actually Luther Reigns.

Here's a link that talks more about the segment and identifies the two guys who were on his team as Layton Morrison (mulleted kickboxer guy, who has an imdb page listing a long body of stuntwork) and Craig Mally (excitable boxer guy who has a scant imdb page but nothing much else on google).

i remember when that segment happened. i (and assumingly everyone else) kept waiting for an actual superstar to come out instead of these nobodies. i really believed that eventually someone like the Ultimate Warrior would face Piper and then join the team. instead, it was just some random boxer guy, and a kickboxer or something.  i had no problem with John Tenta, although i did find it weird they pretended we'd never seen him before.

Why is Terry Funk the ref in the Jumbo vs Bock AWA title switch? Going through the AWA TV from this era and was sorta surprised to see that. He also takes the biggest bump in the match, which isn't terribly shocking.

He's cuts quite a dapper figure as well. More refs should bust out the formalwear...

Jokes aside, why was HBK given so much time off in the 90s? I'm sure he did need injury recuperation and all that, but in an era where nobody got any time off, he had a great deal of down time. Is there any explanation as to why he was given so much leeway? Legit drug/physical rehab or was it just one of those things that is inexplainable?

Have a theme music question, how long did the Hulkster use this song as his theme

Also did Bonnie Tyler's version pre-date this song being used as Hulk's theme? or did the songwriter give it to her to be recorded after Hulk used in the WWF and for Rock & Wrestling. Are there any other songs which were later recorded by artists but were first used in wrestling promotions as themes or opening themes for TV shows?. 

• Like 1

The Bonnie Tyler album featuring "Ravishing" was released about six months after "The Wrestling Album".  The album took about two years to produce (another single from that album, "Holding Out for a Hero", was released on the "Footloose" soundtrack in 1984), and it appears Jim Steinman came up with the instrumental first, then slightly changed the melody and added lyrics for the Tyler version.