DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Wrestling would have been so weird if the concept of three way matches existed back then. Bret/Yoko/Luger at Mania X would have been a thing. Bret/HBK/Bulldog for the IC title would have been interesfing as well and probably a Flair/Savage/Warrior at Summerslam 1992

Warrior vs Hogan with Randy Savage on a pole match?  

11409%20-%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20laughin

Bro, that match would have the Vinny Russo seal of approval, bro. 

Wrestling would have been so weird if the concept of three way matches existed back then. Bret/Yoko/Luger at Mania X would have been a thing. Bret/HBK/Bulldog for the IC title would have been interesfing as well and probably a Flair/Savage/Warrior at Summerslam 1992

Bret v HBK v Davey Boy would have been good, not really sold on the other potential 3-way dances though. 

With the "cartoony" early 90's WWF, the stuff with Jake being blinded by the Model, then a year later having the King Cobra bite Macho & Taker locking Warrior in the coffin, that kinda felt out of place, but was actually probably the best angles they had during that time frame (apart from Nature Boy winning the 92 Rumble). I'm assuming it was probably Vince & a few others back then booking the WWF, but who was the mastermind(s) behind the angles I mentioned?. 

Late 91 had some surprisingly hardcore stuff from the WWF.  Aside from the aforementioned you had:

-Jake Roberts destroying Randy Savage with 3 DDTs then smacking Elizabeth in the face.

-The Mountie trying to murder Bret Hart by throwing a bucket of water on him then using the cattle prod

-An out-of-it Roddy Piper knocking Vince McMahon out with a chair.

-Marty Jannetty turning into a bloody mess after going through the Barber Shop window.

-and the long-forgotten angle where Jake Roberts disguised himself as a masked jobber so he could attack Sid and try to put his cobra on him (the precursor to the Savage incident)

I don't know who booked it, but I'd guess Vince let Patterson go nuts.  (or banana.)

• Like 1

With the "cartoony" early 90's WWF, the stuff with Jake being blinded by the Model, then a year later having the King Cobra bite Macho & Taker locking Warrior in the casket, that kinda felt out of place, but was actually probably the best angles they had during that time frame (apart from Nature Boy winning the 92 Rumble). I'm assuming it was probably Vince & a few others back then booking the WWF, but who was the mastermind(s) behind the angles I mentioned?.

Fixed. Coffins and caskets are not the same thing. It's a pet peeve of mine when the two are used interchangeably.

On the subject of Randy Savage, the retirement match against Warrior ... was he fully intending that to be his in ring swan song and moving on to other things, or was there a comeback in mind the whole time?

Pretty sure Savage was taking time off so he and Elizabeth could try to start a family.  I don't think the retirement was ever going to permanent.

you forgot Earthquake murdering Damien and serving him as Quakeburgers

Yeah forgot that. 

-Jake Roberts destroying Randy Savage with 3 DDTs then smacking Elizabeth in the face.
-The Mountie trying to murder Bret Hart by throwing a bucket of water on him then using the cattle prod
-An out-of-it Roddy Piper knocking Vince McMahon out with a chair.
-Marty Jannetty turning into a bloody mess after going through the Barber Shop window.
-and the long-forgotten angle where Jake Roberts disguised himself as a masked jobber so he could attack Sid and try to put his cobra on him (the precursor to the Savage incident)

I don't know who booked it, but I'd guess Vince let Patterson go nuts.  (or banana.)

I recall most of these, but when did the Pipes knocking Vinny Mac happen, was that when he was on crutches after the motorcycle accident when he did the angle with Virgil/Ted DiBiase or after that?. I guess it must have been Pat Patterson who booked the stuff unless it was Jake Roberts maybe since he was featured in the Macho & Sid stuff and also I just remembered when Warrior was locked in the room of snakes. Seems like there was a huge dark type of vibe going on with the snakes, the Warrior being locked in the coffin, Liz getting slapped & freaked out by Jake etc. Thinking of what WWE did under a PG framework back then, they could easily do some more cutting edge stuff now.  

Fixed. Coffins and caskets are not the same thing. It's a pet peeve of mine when the two are used interchangeably.

Ah OK. I presumed caskets & coffins were one and the same, since they both share the same general purpose. Plus the WWE often refer to them as caskets & have "casket" matches & I remember Vince saying that Taker locked Warrior in a casket rather than a coffin. So I was basing my assumption on that, also is there any real determinable differences between the two I guess because a coffin is traditionally wooden and designed to a certain specification? 

The Piper incident occurred on an episode of Superstars.

Ric Flair, doing his "Real World Champion" angle, walked to the ring for a jobber match when he made a U-turn to the announce table, where Vince, Piper, and Randy Savage are doing commentary.  Flair starts goading and challenging Piper, then clocks him with the "10 pounds of gold."

Flair beats on Piper with a chair and his boots (keeping the robe on the whole time) before the refs break it up.  A groggy Piper gets up, grabs a wooden chair and takes a swing of who he thought was Flair, but clocked Vince in the back instead.

Savage just stood there, as he was not allowed to "engage in physical altercations" due to losing the retirement match with Warrior at WM7.

JD

Here's something I've always wondered about WM3.  In the Hogan-Andre match, pretty much the first thing Hulk does is go for the slam.  They fall down, Andre on top, and Joey Marella counts three.  Was that just Joey being overenthusiastic?  I only ask because it seems like a perfect "out" for Andre so he could still claim to be undefeated.

I think it was always the out for the rematch.  Heenan was saying as much at the SNME the show after.  Considering how much the crowd freaked for a false two during Savage-Steamboat (fans thought Hebner landing on the mat was a one-count) there would have been a MUCH larger reaction if Marella hit the mat a third time.  And considering the camera angle blocked everything, he most likely stopped short at the last moment.

Warrior dropping the title to Slaughter was one of the last threads of rationale I clung to that wrestling just couldn't be "fake" as a kid; if it was predetermined why in the blue hell would they take the belt off Warrior and put it onto Slaughter's old crumpled up randomly reappearing ass? Ah, the innocence of youth before learning about the reality of buyrates. Also I thought Slaughter was a chump because he didn't have the big ass muscles his G.I. Joe cartoon character or action figure did.

The other thing is that summer we went to D.C. on vacation and stayed with my mom's aunt and uncle (who was retired from some branch of the military/secret service) and when me and my brother turned on wrestling my dad had to dismissively explain away the goofiness with this Iraqi sympathizer idiot and then basically explain what  an angle was (including all the death threats, etc., Slaughter goaded marks into) to this old guy who had never gave a crap about wrestling or understood the first thing about it.

Based on everything I've read about that the answer seems to be yes. According to various books, Vince always said the UK would Bulldog's territory and Davey went as far as dedicating his victory to his dying sister in the UK press. IIRC in Bret's book he said the finish was supposed to be something like him costing Shawn the match.

• 2 weeks later...