DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Just watched the newest botchamania.

Anyone have a story about Mike Blackwell totally no selling everything the skyscraper's did to him?

You know, for all the older wrestlers who claim "I wasn't smartened up until my first match...I thought it was REAL!", I'd probably believe it if Blackwell said it.  It's too bad Dusty wasn't around to tear him a new asshole like he did that one jobber (Wee Willie WIlkins?) who tried to kick Bobby Eaton for real during a squash.

• Like 2

After listening to the Buddy Landell interview on the Colt Cabana podcast, I've been wondering about his story about getting a run with the NWA title.

Is it just me or is his story complete bullshit? Landell just didn't seem like a big deal in the NWA at the time. Granted I was a kid and only seeing what was on Crockett TV, but Landell seemed less important than Jimmy Valiant. Also, if Flair really needed time off (the reasoning behind Landell getting the belt), wouldn't they have given it to someone to even if the Landell angle shit the bed?

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking, what was the story behind Fuji turning on Demolition at the 88 Survivor Series and going with the Powers of Pain instead. Demolition were the tag team champs, so it didn't really make logical sense for Mr Fuji to turn on Ax & Smash. I know they wanted to turn Demo babyface but I think they could have gone a better way about it, although in hindsight I guess it was kinda clever, since it was a  double turn where the P.O.P. went from 'face to heels & Demo from heels to faces. 

Why wasn't Big Show in The Alliance?

i believe he and Jericho both made it clear they didn't enjoy their time in WCW and wouldn't support them in the inVasion.  

And Big Show showed his true colors when he joined the nWo a year later. 

This was surprisingly consistent for Big Show who had promptly left WCW in 1999 after being kicked out of the nWo. 

Why wasn't Big Show in The Alliance?

i believe he and Jericho both made it clear they didn't enjoy their time in WCW and wouldn't support them in the inVasion.  

And Big Show showed his true colors when he joined the nWo a year later. 

This was surprisingly consistent for Big Show who had promptly left WCW in 1999 after being kicked out of the nWo. 

yeah, Big Show should've known better. 

he joined in fall '96.

played second fiddle to Hogan. left/got kicked out in early '97 after not getting a title shot.

joined nWo Hollywood sometime in the spring/summer of '98. jobbed to everybody.

left WCW.

nWo reforms in WWE in 2002. Big Show joins. Big Show gets superkicked out by HBK like a month later.

So an interesting what if occurred to me today. 

What if Bruno Sammartino was totally soured on the wrestling business after getting blackballed by Vince Sr, and never returned at all? Who does Sr. go with as his star during what would've been Bruno's big run?

Bobo Brazil? Looking at 63 results, he seems like the obvious choice, but it was definitely a different climate back then and I don't know if they'd have done it. He was already competing against Rogers a lot back then.

Maybe they hot shot Gorilla Monsoon up to the top? He had just turned heel then, so probably not. Maybe if he never changed from Geno Marella....

Pedro Morales was a few years into his career at that point, but I wasn't alive, so I don't know how he was viewed then.

I doubt anyone has the 8 year run Bruno had.

Senior had him blackballed when Bruno tried to leave him for San Francisco.  It was only when Bruno was given a chance in Toronto years later and got hot that Senior took him back.

As far as who Senior goes with if no Bruno, the answer is most likely "Nobody and the company eventually patches things up with the NWA."

As far as who Senior goes with if no Bruno, the answer is most likely "Nobody and the company eventually patches things up with the NWA."

Well, sure, but that's no fun to think about. I prefer to imagine Gorillamania running wild.

Leading to a tell all bio by his wife accusing him and Bobby Heenan of secretly being "butt buddies", an awkward stint as host of American Gladiators whilst sporting some really ordinary tattoos, thus leading to the Gorilla Monsoon sex tape everyone was hankering for - "Will You Stop?!?!"

THE MAN IS A SAINT!

Back to Landell, I just don't see it. The JJ to Tully, Baby Doll to Landell thing, on the other hand, could be a possibility, but I know JJ's said that the plan all along was for Dusty to come to her aid. I don't see how Landell fits in there unless he was going face.

NO WAY was Landell ever considered an NWA World Champ, even transitionally. He was one of these dudes that was high so much of the time, he was never seen as anything more than a regional draw. He had no pull on the board and the NWA knew damn well Flair would never put him over, even if it was so he could "take a break."