DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

on another subject, according to Owen Hart's wikipedia page (i know, i know), Triple H's 'the Game" nickname was intended for Owen. is there any truth to this? it seems unlikely to me but still possible with the timeline. a friend pointed this out to me and i immediately questioned it.

My favorite was that 2 week period about 5 or so years ago where he tried to get over calling himself The Destroyer as in Conan. That was hilarious, I wonder how the conversation went between him and whoever telling him it's absurd and not working.

His actual ring name is a nickname!

This actually bugs me when I remember to think about it.

When was the last time Triple H was actually called Hunter Hearst-Helmsley on a WWE broadcast?  How long has it been since the "Triple H" shorthand was actually explained?  Before the kids they count on buying John Cena merchandise today (and Roman Reigns merch tomorrow) were even born?  Because I literally don't remember the last time I heard "HHH" function as an acronym (admittedly I haven't watched regularly in over a decade), and I periodically wonder if the unwillingness to explain the reference has hurt audience immersion, because "Triple H" makes no sense unless you were watching in 1997 when they last bothered to say what the 3 H's stood for.

He's occasionally still called Hunter. Don't think the other two H's have been explained in years.

"Helmsley" actually comes up on occasion too but that's the weird thing:  it only seems to be uttered in reference to Stephanie, who is "Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley" on screen (some of the time, at least).  This at least makes it easy for a newer fan to infer one of the 3 H's denotes "Helmsley".   But actually confirming it, let alone solving the riddle of H1 and H2, would require this newer fan to actually research through the archives of old WWE broadcasts.  Which the network theoretically makes very doable but for all I know Vince has had one of his Orwellian fits and gone back and censored all utterances of HHH's full name from the In Your House ppvs or whatever.

They should do an angle about it:  have it turn out that Triple H HATES his full name for some reason and there's actually been this conspiracy to repress it and that's why no one's said it on air for years.  Instant rebel babyface push for whichever guy they decide to have blow the lid of this conspiracy by ALWAYS referring to him as "Hunter Hearst Helmsley" just to get his goat.

Holding Out For a Hero has a special place in my heart because it's in Short Circuit 2 when Johnny 5 goes badass after the heels give him a beatdown.

They should show that scene at the Performance Center when teaching the kids how to make a fiery babyface comeback.

• Like 1

Holding Out For a Hero has a special place in my heart because it's in Short Circuit 2 when Johnny 5 goes badass after the heels give him a beatdown.

They should show that scene at the Performance Center when teaching the kids how to make a fiery babyface comeback.

They pretty much already have the "being robotic" part down.

• Like 1

They pretty much already have the "being robotic" part down.

W4UMvPM.jpg

• Like 2