DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

The first wrestling show I ever went to was in 1981ish at the Hamburg PA field house. Each guy did multiple matches, mostly squashes. One of the job guys was Curt Hennig. I distinctly remember him jobbing to Snuka and Swede Hanson. At least I think I do. Does anyone have any other information on this, like was he ever on WWF television at the time?

Hennig was a regular squash guy in early 80s WWF. He was treated one step above the regular squash victims on commentary and put over as a promising young wrestler, and would usually get some offense in. Eddie Gilbert was in the same spot and he and Hennig teamed quite regularly.

There weren't any Irish wrestlers around. Danno O'Mahony was brought over to Boston in the 30s in order to capitalise on that city's Irish population, but after that, the next wrestler to come out of Ireland was Finlay. Wrestling basically didn't exist in Ireland.

The Bonnie Tyler album featuring "Ravishing" was released about six months after "The Wrestling Album".  The album took about two years to produce (another single from that album, "Holding Out for a Hero", was released on the "Footloose" soundtrack in 1984), and it appears Jim Steinman came up with the instrumental first, then slightly changed the melody and added lyrics for the Tyler version.

Actually, Wikipedia says Steinman was working on the Wrestling Album and the Tyler album at the same time.  So I guess he just figured the Tyler track could do double duty, maybe thinking nobody would care about a wrestling album.  To be fair, both the Tyler song and Hulk Hogan's Theme are pretty obscure.  Mainstream wise, Tyler was done by the time the album came out (Holding Out for a Hero was on the album but it had already been out for two years by then) and Hogan only used that song briefly.  I was a kid of the 80s and never heard "Ravishing" until recently when reading about its similarity to the Hogan song.

Jim Steinman can write like a motherfucker, though.

I was always surprised that there wasn't a Boston Irish kid floating around that could have gotten a push.

Well, Kevin Sullivan wasn't tall enough for that ride

I also wouldn't be surprised if Vince Sr. had a weird superiority complex towards Boston Irish people because of being New York Irish and all.

The Bonnie Tyler album featuring "Ravishing" was released about six months after "The Wrestling Album".  The album took about two years to produce (another single from that album, "Holding Out for a Hero", was released on the "Footloose" soundtrack in 1984), and it appears Jim Steinman came up with the instrumental first, then slightly changed the melody and added lyrics for the Tyler version.

Actually, Wikipedia says Steinman was working on the Wrestling Album and the Tyler album at the same time.  So I guess he just figured the Tyler track could do double duty, maybe thinking nobody would care about a wrestling album.  To be fair, both the Tyler song and Hulk Hogan's Theme are pretty obscure.  Mainstream wise, Tyler was done by the time the album came out (Holding Out for a Hero was on the album but it had already been out for two years by then) and Hogan only used that song briefly.  I was a kid of the 80s and never heard "Ravishing" until recently when reading about its similarity to the Hogan song.

Jim Steinman can write like a motherfucker, though.

That's wild to me, because Ravishing is shoot my favorite Bonnie Tyler song.

• Like 1