DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

A heel who got too cool was forever in danger of being embraced by the bloodthirsty ECW crowd. [?]

As "smart" as the ECW crowd wanted to believe it was, you needed someone with at least some portion of "go away heat" [?]

Justin was thus an ideal heel for the ECW crowd because his offense and promos would never appeal to their sense of cool. [?]

That was at least partly what I thought at the time.  I think.

Yeah, people crap on Credible's title reign, but they had no choice but to put the belt on him, really. The roster was depleted. Dreamer didn't want the belt, and his character wouldn't work as champion. Rhino had just arrived and needed to be built up. Corino had no credibility yet. Storm was on the way out. Lynn deserved a run, but he didn't have the personality to be a long term choice. RVD should have had a run, but Heyman was trying to work up to having him chase the title first.

From what I remember that Jado/Gedo Vs. Storm/Credible match was terrible and had to be heavily edited. As was the style at the time in ECW. Obviously I've never seen the whole match so I don't know. But that's what I always heard.

I can believe that.  I always wondered how long it actually went, because the 7 minutes or so finish they showed was really hot.  However, Jado and Gedo have always been somewhat inconsistent, so I can buy it being shit.

Actually Tommy Dreamer as World Champion could work if he had turned full heel and built a sort of Horsemen group around himself to protect hm as Champ. You basically turned the character into the what he hated most i.e. Raven. But after Tommy turns, who carries the torch as the babyface stanard bearer for ECW?

That's where my booking for ECW at that time period would ht a snag...

James

Well, it would probably also hit a snag when Dreamer refused the belt (he never wanted to be champion.  The win-the-belt-lose-it-same-night was apparently the only thing Heyman could get him to agree to).

I'd probably have hated a Tommy Dreamer heel run.  Personal preference aside, it'd be hard to get the ECW crowds to boo Dreamer.

Well, it would probably also hit a snag when Dreamer refused the belt (he never wanted to be champion.  The win-the-belt-lose-it-same-night was apparently the only thing Heyman could get him to agree to).

I'd probably have hated a Tommy Dreamer heel run.  Personal preference aside, it'd be hard to get the ECW crowds to boo Dreamer.

Would using it as a catalyst for the RVD chase had helped things?

Actually Tommy Dreamer as World Champion could work if he had turned full heel and built a sort of Horsemen group around himself to protect hm as Champ. You basically turned the character into the what he hated most i.e. Raven. But after Tommy turns, who carries the torch as the babyface stanard bearer for ECW?

That's where my booking for ECW at that time period would ht a snag...

James

The answer, of course, is Justin Credible.

Heyman never would have turned Dreamer. WWE.com ran an article a while back that talked about what might have happened if ECW had stuck around longer, and Dreamer says he thinks he would have eventually turned. But Heyman completely shoots the idea down, saying the Tommy Dreamer character only works as a face.

I sometimes wish that Heyman could have found a big money buyer like Sinclair or Panda Energy that would just give him lots of money to the company. I'd like to see where ECW would have gone after 01, especially as guys like Daniels, Styles, Danielson and the other early 00s indy guys hit the scene.

Over the years I've read several articles where they talked about the Steiners vs. Tatsumi Fujinami/Takayuki Iizuka match from Wrestle War 92 and they say that Iizuka was "never the same" after the match.

What are people talking about in regards to that match?  Did Iizuka suffer a neck injury or brain damage from the top-rope belly to belly suplex that Rick gave him at the finish?

I always assumed they meant "He was a great young prospect but the Steiners took complete advantage, beat the piss out of him, broke his orbital bone and after that Iizuka never had the same confidence or drive to reach his potential"