DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Regal has pointed out repeatedly that the issue wasn't that he "took liberties" but that the match went too long (yes, at 5.5 minutes) and was too competitive.  Regal's side of the story is that he was told to give Goldberg five minutes and be competitive, and when Bischoff began ripping into him, both the agent responsible (who, afaik, Regal has never named) and Goldberg remained silent, but that Goldberg apologized to him later (and then trashed him in his book...) so Regal just took the heat.

It's also not why he was fired, as he was around for several more months.

I flipped through his alleged autobiography a while back and he really came across like a mark for himself.  An example: He suffered severe injuries and almost bled himself out legit punching through a limo window with his bare hand.   You see, he turned down the safer method of breaking it with a lead pipe because "Goldberg wouldn't do that."  :rolleyes:

I feel like he held grudges against anyone who didn't treat him like a megastar, an NFL legend and the baddest dude on the planet.

I'm pretty sure the lead pipe came out of his jacket when he did the limo smashing bit, and then just kept going without it, and fucked himself up.

Yeah, according to Bischoff's book, as well as the Alvarez "Death of WCW" title, Goldberg was supposed to smash windows with a small lead pipe, but he dropped it.

I flipped through his alleged autobiography a while back and he really came across like a mark for himself.  An example: He suffered severe injuries and almost bled himself out legit punching through a limo window with his bare hand.   You see, he turned down the safer method of breaking it with a lead pipe because "Goldberg wouldn't do that."  :rolleyes:

I feel like he held grudges against anyone who didn't treat him like a megastar, an NFL legend and the baddest dude on the planet.

Yeah I got the same feeling about him. Although to be fair, it's hard to blame him too much given the situation. He went from Power Plant to World Champ and #1 babyface in less than a year, in possibly the most leniently-policed locker room in the history of the business.

• 3 weeks later...

Does Bret Hart's claim to have never injured anybody in the ring stand up?

(as far as it's possible to know, I guess)

In his own book, he recalls injuring Randy Savage's heel. 

On another Randy Savage note, how does he hold up as a draw? I remember that he is credited for having a good run on top vs. DiBiase around the country in 88-89, and that he gets credit for turning WCW house show business around with Ric Flair. In the pantheon of draws, he's obviously not Hogan/Austin/Rock level, but is he in the tier right below that? Who would some of his peers as a draw be, historically speaking?

• 2 months later...

"Tim White: Inept Suicidal Guy" was pretty funny in a weird "They just did whatever they wanted on the website back then and Vince doesn't even know about it" way. Fit a short time in 2006 they had an audio show of JBL and Cole shooting the shit at ringside after Smackdown tapings. It was totally shoot stuff and they'd bust balls and rip on dudes. Really funny stuff.

As WCW Champion, did Randy Savage have any title defenses that ended with him winning the match by pinfall?  I watched the 95-96 Nitro episodes and there's only DQ wins or losses against Luger, Giant, and Benoit and the two times he defended on PPV he lost to Flair (Starrcade 95, Superbrawl 96).  Did he have any title defenses on at house shows?

On the subject of the WCW World title, when the NWA title was brought back in 1992, was the idea of a WCW/NWA title unification already in the plans or was it planned to keep the titles seperate all along?  The tag titles were unified from the start when Gordy/Williams won, so it made me wonder if they wanted to do the same with the Wolrd title.

The Flair/Savage feud is credited for turning around WCW's house show business in late 95.

I've always felt that statement was VERY misleading.  Once Nitro started, there were virtually NO house shows until early 1996.  Almost all shows were TV tapings or PPVs.  And the first Flair-Savage feud was headlining all the shows in the summer and fall of 95 before Nitro started.  It's not as if they were a fresh new match-up. Nitro was making WCW a bigger name and people were starting to go to the shows as a result.