Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread


Recommended Posts

I’m watching “The Monkees” which was a hilarious TV show ??? Apparently what killed the series wasn’t it’s lack of quality, but the fact that people turned on it when they learned that The Monkees didn’t write their music and really weren’t even a band.
 

Watching shows like this that I remember from around the same time that I used to watch syndicated wrestling as a youngun, especially with it being Sunday afternoon, takes me back. And today is the first day of the time change which makes it a little more dramatic for some reason. Low and behold if Worldwide magically came on this TV next I might cry lol!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What was the difference between the UWF tv show (directly after the Mid-South to UWF switch) and Power Pro from the same period? Is it an A/B show situation? Syndication vs. local market?

I grew up in PA, watching UWF in syndication. Which of these shows would that have been?

Wanting to revisit the weekly tv, but trying to make sure I know what is what. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Why did early 90s WCW commentators care so much that Marcus Bagwell went to "Sprayberry High School"? It gets mentioned all the time! I don't think there are any other wrestlers where I could tell you what school they went to

Because Bill Watts and Jim Ross treated anyone that played football as someone special, even if they only played high school football in suburban Marietta. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just bigging up his athletic background, which was the old regional way of giving someone credentials.

Along these lines, was there a better choice than Ron Simmons to take that upset victory from Vader in 92? It's safe to say that, as important as the win was historically it absolutely bombed, and though Ron Simmons had unmatched athletic credentials charisma-wise and in-ring wise he wasn't the right person for the role.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

 I don't think there are any other wrestlers where I could tell you what school they went to

I know what school Xavier Woods went to.

Spoiler

Sprayberry High

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could tell you that Sting went to Saugus High School (Yeah, that Saugus High School).  Before a new school opened, I was supposed to go there too, and my principal told me Sting was a student there, knowing I liked wrestling.  Turns out he went to school with a few of my friends' dads.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Why did early 90s WCW commentators care so much that Marcus Bagwell went to "Sprayberry High School"? It gets mentioned all the time! I don't think there are any other wrestlers where I could tell you what school they went to

My favorite stupid wrestling trivia is that Curt Hennig, Rick Rude, Barry Darsow, Tom Zenk, and John Nord all went to high school together in Minneapolis.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

Just bigging up his athletic background, which was the old regional way of giving someone credentials.

Along these lines, was there a better choice than Ron Simmons to take that upset victory from Vader in 92? It's safe to say that, as important as the win was historically it absolutely bombed, and though Ron Simmons had unmatched athletic credentials charisma-wise and in-ring wise he wasn't the right person for the role.

It bombed because the whole thing was badly booked and they still kept Sting as the #1 face. The hot shot angle putting the belt on Simmons was fun but there was no build up and they had him feuding with The Barbarian who was a mid-carder and Cactus Jack who was moving down the heel ladder, either start the feud with Rude early(they were supposed to work Starrcade) or have a feud with Vader.

With the exception of Flair,  WCW/JCP never seemed to book babyface champions right. Simmons should have been booked along the lines of Bruno and Backlund, grateful and humble but will go into raging ass kicker mode when pushed too far. Have Vader and Harley beat up Teddy Long or some rookie Simmons is mentoring and use that as the jumping off point for Halloween Havoc and possibly Starrcade.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn’t sure about my timelines as to whether his run was aborted due to Watts being fired or he just lost faith in him.

I remember it being a huge shock and mark our moment when I saw the highlights of the win on TV, but no real follow up 

Edited by BurningBeard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

I wasn’t sure about my timelines as to whether his run was aborted due to Watts being fired or he just lost faith in him.

I remember it being a huge shock and mark our moment when I saw the highlights of the win on TV, but no real follow up 

Did the full Simmons/Vader match ever air? I only remember seeing it in clips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Did the full Simmons/Vader match ever air? I only remember seeing it in clips.

I mean, here is the thing...

I never religiously watched WCW then (WWF kid), so I dunno if this got the same treatment as Hart/Flair at the time.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Zimbra said:

My favorite stupid wrestling trivia is that Curt Hennig, Rick Rude, Barry Darsow, Tom Zenk, and John Nord all went to high school together in Minneapolis.

 

11 hours ago, AxB said:

I thought Nikita Koloff and Brady Boone did as well?

I believe there was one more wrestler who wound up a referee as well. And they all graduated in a two year period. Robinsdale High School.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What was the story behind Shinya Hashimoto's trip to the US in 2001?  I always thought it was weird that he made his first trip to the US in over a decade to wrestle Steve Corino and Gary Steele a couple of times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Zimbra said:

What was the story behind Shinya Hashimoto's trip to the US in 2001?  I always thought it was weird that he made his first trip to the US in over a decade to wrestle Steve Corino and Gary Steele a couple of times.

i am interested in this too. i always assumed it had something to do with an NWA World title reign, but i have zero basis for that speculation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

i am interested in this too. i always assumed it had something to do with an NWA World title reign, but i have zero basis for that speculation.

Yeah, I think it had to do with the NWA/Zero-One partnership, it's just super odd since as Happ mentioned Hash didn't have a history of working in the US and the NWA in 2000 wasn't exactly drawing the kind of crowds that would justify flying him in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...