DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm something a hurricane nerd.  Growing up in South Florida will do that to you.  When I tell you, I have never ever seen anything like this...

Basically Acapulco got blindsided overnight by a Category 5 hurricane named Otis, with sustained winds of 160MPH  When I say blindsided I mean, literally 24 hours before landfall, it was a tropical storm and not supposed to get much stronger.   Then it hit a small patch of 92F/33C temperature water and it did this:

Acapulco has never been hit by anything higher than a Category 2.  The initial reports are horrific and will probably have total damage will into the billions.

Climate change is fucking real.  Heaven help Houston/New Orleans/Tampa/Miami/New York when they face down the barrel of this gun.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I’m fairly annoyed that the trees on our yard lost relatively few leaves in October and instead decided to lose everything all at once when wet, cool weather set in.  Amount of leaves this morning in yard looks like more than I cleaned up during the first 29 days of the month.

Truthfully, this looks like a job for whatever lawn service I decide to call during lunch.

Man, it's been cruising along in the 70s for weeks, and today has been like getting thrown in an ice bath. They forecasted flurries (though who knows if they'll show). 

I only complain because it's Halloween and that FUCKING SUCKS for the kids. So many Halloweens ruined by having to wear a coat over your costume...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2013 at 12:09 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

This Weather Sucks

yes. yes it does.

currently -5° but "feels like" -20. We got 12+" of snow on Tuesday and another 10+" on Friday. According to the local weather:

"Tonight (WIND CHILL WARNING): The wind calms down a little bit down to around 5-15 mph out of the west. This helps with the drifting snow, but also allows temperatures to plummet. Lows are expected to be anywhere from -18 to -23 degrees. Wind chills with just a little bit of wind are around -35 to -45 degrees. Skies are partly cloudy. Bundle up and stay warm tonight!"

Tomorrow's high temp is expected to be -2°.

We got lucky in Central Illinois and missed the big big snow. My buddy in Des Moines got hammered. His job is transporting medical patients. Oofta. It's still negative degrees with wicked low windchill, but that's better than getting buried (I say now, before I have to wear thermals going out to group tomorrow morning). 

Southeast New Mexico is under a windchill warning until later on this morning. It's presently 8 degrees outside, with the high temp today being a whopping 38. Just for context, a typical winter temperature down here is still pushing 60.

Edited by Mike Campbell
  • Sad 2

A friend of mine who moved from here to Philly was blabbing about how happy she is to have moved away from midwestern temperatures. I told her global warming doesn't just mean "hot", it means "schizo" and she was gonna get it anyway. How can someone that lives in New England say they don't get low temperatures, anyway?

As far as our hotter-climate friends I feel for you. Hopefully your power grids aren't built in the fashion of Texas'. Invest in thermal underwear. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Meanwhile, NYC is getting its first measurable snowfall in almost two years.  And because someone got a burr up their ass about my job technically not being a telecommuting eligible one, I'm ... not thrilled. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Apparently, Tesla's cannot work if they're exposed to below freezing temperatures. The batteries need to be kept warm, so they'll drain power heating themselves, and then when they're out of power, they're permanently unable to ever function again. They're no longer batteries, they're basically frozen bricks.

Oh, and letting them get frozen is a violation of your warranty, so Elon doesn't have to pay for repair or replacement. You should have left it plugged in all night and all day, and not driven it to work and parked it there.

• Haha 1

I shouldn't laugh, but "masterful gambit" indeed. They mentioned the batteries on the news but not that they become totally useless. That's like making a car that when it runs out of gas, the tires just fall off! 

Side note, our heat went out today. 🥶 Thankfully the handiman came in record time; they had to order a part that'll be here in a couple days but we can keep it fixed until then. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Nothing like shoveling out your car and getting to work  only to find they canceled night shift while I was in the car. Now presumably working on my scheduled day off to get back my hours. 

• Sad 1