DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

How in the actual fuck do people live in places like Arizona, Texas, or Mexico, if it was that hot for like 3 days I might actually die and it's been like 2 months solid.

I barely go outside, but my co-workers in the field start their on-the-ground work as close to dawn as they can safely see (usually driving before dawn) and stop by 1 pm or when the heat index is 110, whichever comes first.

The slow, steady climb of heat combined with the climate weirding of the severe winter storms is one of the main reasons I’m moving north. This state isn’t going to do anything that goes against the almighty oil and gas industry nor will they ever give up their “sovereignty” and connect to one of the national grids. There’s also the fact that the SW, including much of Texas, is drying up.

• Like 3

Don't think we have any Hawaiians on the board currently, but if you've ever been to Maui...  

Chances are the places you visited are on fire right now. 😕 

• Sad 8

We had monster storm come thru here Monday. Some places still without power this am. Not sure if it was worse one we had in April; don't recall hearing about any tornados this time, but lots of trees and wires down. 

• Sad 1

A number of friends of mine are headed to Korea this week for the Rubik's Cube World Championship. There's also a typhoon in the area. Tons of flight cancelations and delays that are wrecking the plans of my friends. Good chance that v they miss the competition entirely. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Don't think we have any Hawaiians on the board currently, but if you've ever been to Maui...  

Chances are the places you visited are on fire right now. 😕 

I travel to Lanai frequently for work and take the ferry to/from Lahaina. That’s how all the regulars in Lanai get to Maui to do errands and whatnot. Really awful stuff. I was last there in May. 

• Sad 2

Reports are Lahaina has essentially been burned to the ground.  Everything's gone.  

Last I heard it was 36 dead with more to come possibly.  Just horrible.  

• Sad 4

On 7/13/2023 at 2:35 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Cortana?    I'd like to see the most Chicago picture ever taken:

On 7/13/2023 at 5:47 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I have a real close friend that was born in Elgin and he'll crack up seeing that

I'm just catching up on this thread, but these made me laugh. I have a friend in Elgin who brought up the storm the day after it happened, but a line at Portillo's like that doesn't surprise me. Portillo's fucking rules. It's not Mr. Beef or Al's Italian Beef, but they're still the shit. People in Chicagoland don't give a fuck, mainly because there is this sense that tornados don't just blast through the area like that. We're more used to straight line winds or microbursts. 

And coincidentally enough, I was planning on having Portillo's tonight. Sans tornado though.

• Like 4

On 8/7/2023 at 4:05 PM, The Natural said:

July was really wet and early into August, it's cold here. Summer is non existent. Had to wear my big oversized Batman thermal hoodie last night/today.

It's now very hot. British weather for you.

• Like 1

The Portillos indeed hit the spot.

And then I went to my WaPo app to read about all of the shit in Maui and I just felt...like going to bed. I'm going to be fourty fucking three this year. We've been talking about global warming since I was in elementary school. THAT WAS IN THE MID TO LATE 80s! And still, fucking still, there's this debate on whether or not it's real. This disingenuous fucking debate about the reality of global warming and climate change. It's fucking maddening. Just look around. Look at how you don't just get a light gentle rain or rainstorm anymore. It's a fucking monsoon every single time. I'm not in a flood zone, but whenever we get showers now, I have to worry about how the bottom of my street (I'm halfway up a hill) starts flooding and if it's "showering" for more than an hour, the whole bottom of the street turns into a pond and the water starts creeping up the street because shit can't drain fast enough. And that's here in fucking Wonder Bread, plain jane, boring South Bend. What, is it going to take ND stadium looking like a fucking lake for people to say, shit, something is wrong? 

I work in insurance. Or at least I do for another month+ unless I secure another role here. There's shit I can't talk about that goes into insurability and how much we're paying out on losses, how frequently those losses are occurring, and where we're looking to pull out of. We're a pretty liberal, science believing company so it doesn't really matter what we think, but this is industry wide. Put some of these fucking insurance companies on Sunday morning talk shows to talk about WHERE it's insurable, not so much WHAT is insurable, and people should be able to connect the dots that talking about the WHERE really means where it's inhabitable. 

Like, having to convince people that climate change is real and it's happening in front of our eyes and the planet is actively, more so than any other period in our existence, trying to wipe us out is fucking maddening. Then I see the shit that's happening in Hawaii and yeah, it just makes me want to go to bed.

This fight and battle to convince people to open their eyes is so incredibly arduous and soul draining. 

• Like 2

Death toll is up to 96.  That number is probably going significantly upwards as they're just now beginning to search buildings.  

Also...

Pieces of human garbage.  

• Sad 5

In today's "Hey that shouldn't be happening there" news:

Hurricane Hillary is expected to hit San Diego & Los Angeles area late this weekend with Tropical Storm force winds and a potential of up to 10" (~250mm) of rain could fall in 2 days.  

In 170+ years of record keeping, there has never been a tropical system make landfall in Southern California. 

Wildfires have caused the evactuation of Yellowknife, the largest community in the Northwest Territory.

I'm honestly at a point where I just insta block any climate deniers I find on social media, the stuff going on the last couple years is actually insane. We are getting once in a decade global events weekly right now.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nwt-wildfire-evacuation-yellowknife-1.6939771

• Sad 1

The town 15 miles west of Spokane is on fire. This led to the closure of 13 miles of I-90. The smoke is blowing east leading to an air quality measure of 367. That's really, really bad if you're not familiar. My mom's neighbor has a device to measure it in her yard and it measured at 449. The scale only goes up to 500.

Edit: It's up to 455 officially now. 

Edit: And now 481.

Edited by Tabe
  • Sad 1

They need to start passing out gas masks. Fuckin' hell. 

Thankfully the smoke from the wildfires in Canada haven't wafted down here again... yet. Of course we do have a heat advisement that started this morning instead. I for one am kinda feeling lucky to be done with my job lifting things inside off hot tarmac at the moment.

West Coast Hurricane and now an earthquake ? 

A moderate earthquake just occurred near #Ojai CA.  There is NO Tsunami threat for southern California.  Again, a Tsunami is NOT expected. #cawx

Edited by odessasteps

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They need to start passing out gas masks. Fuckin' hell. 

We topped out at at least 511 - turns out the scale doesn't stop at 500. That's an all-time record for Spokane. 

Winds have shifted or something and we're down to 181. That's still "don't go outside" territory but not nearly as bad. 

• Sad 2

It's supposed to get into the mid 90s today and this being this area of the midwest, it's always miserable and humid whenever it's hot. I took my dog for a walk this morning when it was only 72 and came back just sweaty and gross. 72 and it the humidity feels like it's 90 already.

22 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I hate everything my home state has become: 

I worked with a guy that would have done that - I think.  When I was teaching in Craig, CO, this dude rode his bike to the school every day.  EVERY.  SINGLE.  DAY.  18" of snow overnight?  Bro was riding his bike.  -25F temps?  Bro was riding his bike.  Torrential downpour?  Bro was riding his bike.