DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, Pete said:

I was at the ECW Arena for Heatwave '95. Temperature: 102. Heat index: 135. Yes, ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY-FIVE DEGREES. I came down with heatstroke and didn't even make it into the building. 🥵

Consider yourself lucky.  That might've been the hottest building I've ever been in.

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Consider yourself lucky.  That might've been the hottest building I've ever been in.

WOOF. As miserable as I was outside before heading home, I can't even begin to imagine how hideous it must've been inside. Didn't Scorpio literally come to the ring for his match with a huge jug of water?

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

I was at the ECW Arena for Heatwave '95. Temperature: 102. Heat index: 135. Yes, ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY-FIVE DEGREES. I came down with heatstroke and didn't even make it into the building. 🥵

Hmm, maybe moving to Philly isn’t a way to escape the heat and humidity of Austin.

8 hours ago, JLowe said:

Not sure if anyone here has ever experienced a heat index of 119 degrees F (48.3 C) but I do not recommend. Setting an all-time record for Austin, and it's only the first day of summer. No true relief in sight.

The old record was apparently set the day before.

Was helping run my son's baseball practice Tuesday, and it was just brutal.  Had one kid go down after about 20 minutes.  The rest of em looked pretty pretty rough as well.

Today was thankfully cut short by the wild ass thunderstorms that came through Manchaca.  Even our dipshit coach seemed to realize that having a bunch of seven and eight year olds standing around in a hailstorm wasn't a great idea.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robert C said:

The old record was apparently set the day before.

Was helping run my son's baseball practice Tuesday, and it was just brutal.  Had one kid go down after about 20 minutes.  The rest of em looked pretty pretty rough as well.

Today was thankfully cut short by the wild ass thunderstorms that came through Manchaca.  Even our dipshit coach seemed to realize that having a bunch of seven and eight year olds standing around in a hailstorm wasn't a great idea.

I didn't see any hail just a few miles north of y'all but the storm relief was highly appreciated by myself and my A/C, which ended up getting to rest most of the night.

2nd day of thick haze here and each day I've had to work on the outside of my home. It does faintly smell of a campfire. Makes me depressed more than anything. But then I just get pissed off ripping off siding and seeing carpenter ants. Fucking ants.

Actually, stupid fucking me for making a repair years ago and not properly sealing up gaps or the trim and letting water get behind the trim and siding all these years.

• 2 weeks later...

Today in, "oh god, we're doomed":

- A really bad storm that's been sitting over New England has caused flooding so extensive that the main dam holding back water from Vermont's capital, Montpelier, is only 6 ft. from overflowing. If this happens, the damage will be catastrophic and those who haven't evacuated are in deep, deep trouble. 

- Miami has now gone 30 straight days with Feels Like temperatures over 100.  That has never happened before.  Additionally, Ft. Lauderdale hit 115 on the heat index, another all time record.

- Also, there's an extreme water heat warning in basically all of South Florida's waters. Water temperatures in some spots in the Keys are higher than 97F (that's only about a degree or so below the hottest temperature ever recorded... on the entire planet.)

In Illinois we had smog thick as LA from the Canadian wildfires for three days. You could actually smell it. Then a freak thunderstorm destroyed trees from Springfield all the way down here to Champaign's area, we're still cleaning up and parts of Springfield have been without power for a week. 

...but then I turn on the evening news and say, hey, we're just fine! 

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Today in, "oh god, we're doomed":

- A really bad storm that's been sitting over New England has caused flooding so extensive that the main dam holding back water from Vermont's capital, Montpelier, is only 6 ft. from overflowing. If this happens, the damage will be catastrophic and those who haven't evacuated are in deep, deep trouble. 

Most of Montpelier is already underwater so that fucking sucks. We're about an hour forty five southeast of them in NH, but lucky not to have major problems unlike some of our friends who are just a short bit further west. We have a couple days without precipitation, today and tomorrow, but then there's another 4-7 consecutive days of on/off rain coming 😞

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 12:50 AM, SirFozzie said:

We had a tree come down in the today's storm (well, really BROKE, so from either wind or lightning strike). Thankfully, it JUST missed the house (and my bedroom!)

Oh, man. That nearly happened to me twice. Glad the tree was chopped down for that reason. Glad you're ok. 

We are going on 28 straight days in Austin over 100 Fahrenheit, most of which have been in the 103-106 range with heat indices closer to 110. It’s usually about 10 pm when the heat index drops below 100. At night, it’s not really getting below 80.

I’m pretty much broken now. I have so little energy and initiative, yet I have to pack our house to move at the end of the month, and take care of all the things associated with that. 

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, JLowe said:

We are going on 28 straight days in Austin over 100 Fahrenheit, most of which have been in the 103-106 range with heat indices closer to 110. It’s usually about 10 pm when the heat index drops below 100. At night, it’s not really getting below 80.

I’m pretty much broken now. I have so little energy and initiative, yet I have to pack our house to move at the end of the month, and take care of all the things associated with that. 

So glad to not be there for awhile. I’ve been in Tennessee all week. People here saying it’s hot when it’s 15 degrees hotter at home. 

Between all the fire warning texts and the news saying it’s gonna get even hotter next week, I don’t wanna go home.  

• Like 1