DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Rey is a great for sure. I'll never forgive internet dickheads for complaining for years that WWE only pushes hosses and then complaining about Rey being the WHC.

Were people complaining about Rey or the fact that he was getting squashed in non-title matches every week?

Yeah, my only issue with Rey's title reign was the booking. Which just made him look weak. And not plucky underdog weak, just weak.

I think the reason popular opinion turned against Rey is that he's not the high flyer he once was, even though he's just as good a wrestler. WWE always promoted him as an exciting high flying type but most of the stuff he still does now looks pretty bad (the seated senton is a crappy move, and that flying headbutt/missile splash thing isn't much better). He'll often go to the top rope and the crowd will sound excited, then deflated when he's not pulling off moonsaults or SSPs or whatever. It's not his fault , he's got no knees left, but I think the company could have done a better job of letting him change up his style and acknowledging it on air (not by saying "he got old" or anything, but just highlighting all his surgeries and how he's had to change it up). I remember him wrestling a few matches on Smackdown back in 2010 or so like he was Low Ki, tons of stiff kicks and the like. That would be good for him.

And while I'm not saying he's not an incredible worker, I really have to throw out the big knock against him.  

He was never, ever an effective heel.  The only two "heel" runs he had I can think of were Wolfpac Rey and Filthy Animals Rey.   Neither of which were anything above horrible. 

Steamboat was never a heel. He should have never been a heel. 

Also Rey was never in the Wolfpac.

• Like 1

Rey is a great for sure. I'll never forgive internet dickheads for complaining for years that WWE only pushes hosses and then complaining about Rey being the WHC.

Were people complaining about Rey or the fact that he was getting squashed in non-title matches every week?

Some were complaining about the booking, but just as many (if not more) were complaining about his size: "He's not a believable World Champion, he's too small" or "I don't buy him winning against bigger opponents".  It was really dumb and awful.  "I hate WWE and all their "hosses" [fast-forward to Rey's title reign] "They can't get the belt off him fast enough, I don't buy him as a world champ, he's too small."

• Like 1

Aye, Caley is right. That was Phantom Lord and his ilk.

I can't tell if you're hoping we forgot about you portraying 6'1" CM Punk as not being believable against a larger opponent or if you relish the thought of people pointing out your rank hypocrisy.

• Like 1

I can't tell if you're hoping we forgot about you portraying 6'1" CM Punk as not being believable against a larger opponent or if you relish the thought of people pointing out your rank hypocrisy.

Rey can believable execute his finisher against significantly bigger guys. CM Punk? Not so much.

• Like 1

Rey can believable execute his finisher against significantly bigger guys. CM Punk? Not so much.

Finishers=wrestling.

He won the first march madness you butts

When was this, that he won the DVDVRMB Being Bryan Danielson Trophy? 2010? That's ancient history grandpa! Quick, somebody, what's that translate into, in wrestler years?

So has D-Bry started to get some of the Rey backlash, now that he's got(conceivably) the Mania main event, just not in the way the IWC wanted?

No, people were calling for him and Brock Lesnar to work a program, which really boggled my mind. Not cause I agree with the "too small" bullshit.

Rey is a living fossil. He's one of the few remaining wrestlers from two distinct periods; late 90s WCW cruiserweights/mid-00s WWE.

His WCW work was cutting edge at the time, but the iwc has moved on somewhat from simply being impressed by movez. They're now a lot more into psychology, nuance and hurty-looking offense. His feats from this time get downplayed because of this.

And as much as people love Rey, some (including me) never really felt like his offense was strong enough looking to compete with heavyweights.

That's the main distinction between Rey and a Bryan, Bryans offense looks better than much bigger men. That's why it is realistic for him to compete with them.

Rey is like The Big Show to me yeah they've done a lot of memorable moments and matches and have done a lot for this business but they're both just kinda there for me. I loved them when I was younger don't get me wrong but there is nothing else for them today. They're at that weird few years when it's like they're over staying they're welcomed and are easing out if the ring but not fully retiring yet.

If I may get back to Nattie, I'm watching the Main Event match now, and her facials just scream "heel" to me.  She always seems to have that Funky Winkerbean-ish smirk going on.

A smirk as if she farted and is just waiting for someone else to notice and react negatively?

• Like 2

And while I'm not saying he's not an incredible worker, I really have to throw out the big knock against him.  

He was never, ever an effective heel.  The only two "heel" runs he had I can think of were Wolfpac Rey and Filthy Animals Rey.   Neither of which were anything above horrible. 

Steamboat was never a heel. He should have never been a heel. 

Also he was never in the Wolfpac.

I think you mean the Latino World Order.  However, Rey never did anything heelish with them, even though I'm pretty sure he was the last guy left wearing the shirt once the lWo imploded.

TNA is pimping the return of a former Knockout champion live on Impact tonight. Former Knockout champions not currently on the roster are Awesome Kong, Mickey James, Tara, Angelina Love, Taylor Wilde, and Winter. Taylor retired and I think Kong and Tara have said they will never return to TNA. If that's true, that would leave Mickey James, Angelina Love, and Winter as possibilities. This being TNA, that means that the former Knockout champion showing up will be Miss Tessmacher, who has been off TV for a few months, but is still listed on the roster

Just about to watch Paige/Emma for the first time. Is Emma's dancing meant to be silly? Or is she trying to be cool?

Or is it even possible anymore to not be doing something potentially goofy without being "ironic"? As in, if fans like it then it was intended -- but if they don't, it was some kind of parody?  (Santino can do it, but I think he's a special comedic talent in rasslin right now.)

Emma's dance is meant to be silly.  Like, she's kinda vapid and thinks she can dance, but she's an uncoordinated goof.  Her ring entrance is the same.  Her act is very much better served for the smaller, intimate audience like NXT.  It seems to be dying a death on Raw, because if you aren't familiar with her, it's like "Oh, another dumb broad who can't work", when in reality, she's actually really dang good.