DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Where is Masters working right now, the indies still? You would think he would be a lock for AAA, and might even be able to get something out of the stiffs in their heavyweight division.

EDIT: I looked it up, apparently he worked a TNA dark match so you can cross him off that list.

Where is Masters working right now, the indies still? You would think he would be a lock for AAA, and might even be able to get something out of the stiffs in their heavyweight division.

EDIT: I looked it up, apparently he worked a TNA dark match so you can cross him off that list.

He is working the Mid South Fan Fest show (where you can buy my new magazine)

Okay, I'll ask.  Why is Rocky Johnson still working matches, much less doing indy shows?  Surely he doesn't need the money.  I'm guessing he likes the business that much and can still work and is still in decent shape.

Because promoters are still paying him I would guess. I'm sure he's probably not wrestling a style that is too demanding, it's probably more come see the Rock's dad kick a dudes ass and bring in a couple more people to the show, he gets paid to come do some punch and kick stuff probably doesn't bump and gets some money and it's probably more fun for him than sitting at home watching his sons movies.

Because promoters are still paying him I would guess. I'm sure he's probably not wrestling a style that is too demanding, it's probably more come see the Rock's dad kick a dudes ass and bring in a couple more people to the show, he gets paid to come do some punch and kick stuff probably doesn't bump and gets some money and it's probably more fun for him than sitting at home watching his sons movies.

On the Texas episode of "Legends", they showed clips of a 6-man tag with Fritz, Mike, and Kevin Von Erich. Fritz didn't do much, but the Freebirds sold really well for him and it popped the crowd like crazy.

Probably the same for Rocky J.

On the Texas episode of "Legends", they showed clips of a 6-man tag with Fritz, Mike, and Kevin Von Erich. Fritz didn't do much, but the Freebirds sold really well for him and it popped the crowd like crazy.

Probably the same for Rocky J.

But that was at the Texas Stadium show when Kerry beat Flair.

Not just working a random indy.

Backyard deathmatches would probably be more fun than watching Tooth Fairy.

If I wanted to see why Nikita Koloff is a good wrestler, what matches would you all recommend? I am decidedly not a fan of Koloff, especially after running through '85, '87, and '89 NWA shows. I don't get it at all. I won't hold the early '90s AWA stuff I saw from him because those shows are hard to watch in general.

As a character in '85, Koloff is timely, but his gruff Soviet voice makes him a pain to listen to in promos and as a wrestler, I just lose interest in most of his matches. It also kinda hurts that while he throws a pretty awful looking clothesline as a finisher, Windham is throwing like the most beautiful flying lariat I've ever seen as a finish. Comparatively, I don't know why they'd let two guys have similar finishes where one just looks so much more convincing than the other. 

I know that people here have stated their respect for Koloff's work, so I'm sure I'm missing something. 

I find myself less interest in long epics and instead preferring a well worked 20 min match. I've only just recently realized that fact. Maybe it's a case of not wanting to spend 40 to 60 minutes on one match when there's so much that I have yet to see - and only so many viewing hours in a day. Plus, in so many cases, the match did not really need to be 45 minutes long.

Brock on @Midnight would be the best. Just imagine how quickly he would target and rip the head off of Brian Posehn just because he was the largest other animal in that space:

Hardwick: And Brock, what do you think of Keyboard cat...oh

brock.jpg

Soo...you answer is the slaughter and display of Brian Posehn's head as a totem to ward off all other challenges.

Judges????? judges???? anyone??????

I had to put my phone down and run to the bathroom, because this Lesnar on TV discussion made me almost piss my pants from laughing so hard. Well done, gentlemen.

• Like 1

This segment from RAW with DX in blackface as The Nation is not funny -- it's actually pretty damned offensive. Also, it's goes on way too long.

More important, it just feels like the wrong tone. I believe the best promo doesn't bury your opponent. But maybe that's just too old school of me. I wasn't watching during the Attitude Era, but looking back it seems so ridiculous all around.

This segment from RAW with DX in blackface as The Nation is not funny -- it's actually pretty damned offensive. Also, it's goes on way too long.

More important, it just feels like the wrong tone. I believe the best promo doesn't bury your opponent. But maybe that's just too old school of me. I wasn't watching during the Attitude Era, but looking back it seems so ridiculous all around.

It's pretty offensive for the most part, but Road Dogg's D'Lo Brown impression is hilarious.

At that point it solidified the Nation as the good guys for me. It seemed like bullshit the Nation did not retaliate, since between Trips, Chyna and Rockabilly they were easier targets. 

Or even come down there in the middle of it and beat them up.

People have talked on Austin's show before how HHH would go off script simply to try and fuck Rock over. Having him bury him shouldn't surprise people.

I can certainly understand that. I don't hate Hunter – but I strongly dislike his work during this period. I just don't think he was funny, and he thinks he was. Plus I don't think he was "edgy"; I think he was just a bully.

Nash and Hall were the same, with those endless self indulgent NWO segments.

It looks like the network will be running the Monday night wars come this summer, which I imagine will be the same as the old 24/7 where they posted Raw and Nitro. I'll watch them in order at that time, so I'll have more context. We'll see if I change my mind. I'm always happy to be proven wrong when it comes to particular wrestlers or eras.

• Like 1

They retaliated by trying to gang rape Chyna in the ring like a week or two later. Shawn made the save.

I don't remember that at all. I remember sometime in 1999 them ending a RAW very randomly with Billy Gunn and X Pac attempting to rape Stephanie. But it was revealed the next week in passing that it was just an impersonator they hired to screw with Vince or soemthing.

The Attitude era is very weird and disturbing in heinsight.