DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

This special was excellent. Seeing CZW(!!!!) footage on a WWE program was...something. I'd really like to see WWE do one of these specials for, at least, every major PPV. This, Warrior, and Bryan are on the short list for best docs WWE has done. As an aside, I was surprised that Terry Taylor was working down in NXT, I had no idea he was back with the company.

I just liked seeing Dean Ambrose, chaotic good character. He's like a violent, wet-haired wrestling version of Larry David on "Curb." He has a definite ethical construct that he lives by; it's just that he seems to be the only one who understands that construct.

They made Dean look so cool in this. Fish eye shots in the desert, his promos, damn!

My wife was excited to see Rollins doing cross fit, she's a cross fit geek.

It seemed like less was said about Reigns but what was said was "this is our guy!" Which, I'm sure Dean will throw a wrench into that to the point they can't ignore his heat.

Czw and Dragons gate footage was choice. Deans "joker" promos are so good.

I hope one day these dudes do get all back together for another run. Or in like 20 years they could do a king of the trios...

Now I'm really sad that Davey Richards didn't get signed, because the idea of Terry Taylor, of all people, giving him hell every day would have been so worth it.

It wasn't just Terry in reality. Seth really was uncoachable at the time to the degree he poisoned the well for Indie wrestlers for a long time in Developmental.

Gabe was looking ooooold. Dude's only 41 and looked 50.

It was shot in super HD in fairness.

Now I'm really sad that Davey Richards didn't get signed, because the idea of Terry Taylor, of all people, giving him hell every day would have been so worth it.

It wasn't just Terry in reality. Seth really was uncoachable at the time to the degree he poisoned the well for Indie wrestlers for a long time in Developmental.

I believe this, but the documentary positioned it as mainly Terry Taylor and that's a role I love for that exact person for a ton of reasons. 

Was it just me or is Reigns 10 times more likeable when he isn't reciting silly lines written for him by hack "writers"? Also I love that Seth seems like an arrogant prick in real life. That guy isn't going to accept anything less than being a main eventer. The Shield and subsequent handling of their careers so far is the best thing WWE has done since 2000.

And the point of my coming into the thread: watching an infomercial for the Dean Martin Celebrity Roast DVD set, I'm thought a WWE series along those lines could be the most epic thing ever. Get a bunch of legends totally into their cups to verbally destroy one of their brethren, have Nash host the proceedings, shoot it before a live crowd, etc. 

Of course you should get a bunch of old pro wrestlers liquored up and start talking shit about each other, what could possibly go wrong?  I'd love that show, but it would only last until someone said the wrong thing to Harley Race and he decided to beat the living shit out of everyone including the fans.

Turn it into a combo roast/Gong Show type deal, except instead of hitting a gong, it is Harley deciding he's had enough and beating the shit out of someone.

Even better, Harley rings the gong before he beats the shit out of someone.

It would be cool if they had more access to the roh library.

Yeah but if they had more access to the ROH library then chances are the WWE has more control over ROH.   Not sure if you want that

l

It would be cool if they could own an active promotions tae library without that promotion losing money on the deal. Like if they could sell them their 02-09 stuff, then in 2019, they could sell their 10-14 stuff. But they wouldn't actually have any control on how the company is run. At the same time they could allow roh Tv to be aired on the network for more current exposure

With all the tape libraries they have, they're missing out on a "Before They Were Stars" type show. Like Mick, Bossman, Bundy etc doing job duty before they hit it big.

Great American Bash '99 -

Good fucking God what a dreadful show overall. You've got Thunder-level matches throughout, goofy bullshit that makes no sense with Flair-Piper, goofier stuff with Sting-Steiner, a good-wish World Tag title match that just refused to end, and a maybe 10 minute Nash-Savage match with no real action. Madusa and Miss Madness worked harder than the guys did, and then SID RETURNED to close the show.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/08/wcw-great-american-bash-1999.html

Screens -

d51367346123481.jpg

f84e08346126267.jpg

df6eb3346127350.jpg

Everyone needs to watch the promo video with Nash and Macho which is the funniest thing I've seen in years.  Macho Man is at his crazy peak and everything he says comes out of nowhere and makes little to no sense.  Seriously take 5 minutes out of your day to watch some comedy gold.

Meltzer was saying the same thing about Reigns after the SummerSlam media scrum.

And Claudio.

I bet people did not expect to see Les Thatcher in a wwe doc.

Seeing Drake Younger / them acknowledging the existence of a ref was just as strange.

WWE should really do one of these each month for a different wrestler.  Even if it's just a half hour profile, it'll really help them develop their character.  Show a 5 minute edit on Raw and promote the full length version on the Network.

The Shield special is an example of where I really where I think the Network truly has a chance to develop its identity. Yeah, us here on the message boards may bitch about the lack of archival footage, but in the end I truly think they should place more time/effort in the development of "30 For 30" style specials if they really want to get the masses/average WWE Universe member coming back to the Network for more. Monthly specials similar to the Daniel Bryan Road to Wrestlemania, the Warrior tribute series, and the Shield special. Fly in Jim Ross once a month to do a "Greatest Rivalries" sit-down interview similar to the Bret Hart-Shawn Michaels DVD from a couple years back. Or like the "Before They Were Stars" idea I saw mentioned somewhere - sure they probably have enough footage in their own library, but I can't imagine that ROH, indy fed, or Japan fed wouldn't mind licensing out one match for a nominal fee for something like that if they want to do one on Daniel Bryan.

• Like 2