DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Yeah it seems like with some of the stuff they upped in bulk, they forgot to edit some of the music out probably because they were rushing to get the stuff uploaded. This seems to be the one case where rushing to do something is actually a good thing.

Talking about "MSG Classics" in the KOT thread makes me think they should add that entire series to the "Old School" tier. It's 75+ hours of ready-made product... no muss, no fuss.

That, and the dozens of house shows that they prepped for airing on COD/247 and haven't added to the Network yet. Same with WCCW. Why in the world would you just stop in May for no apparent reason? Unless you had way too few people working on the project, so you couldn't really update multiple series at once...hmmmm.

I find myself checking back with the WCCW stuff over and over again. We're closing in on the date when Race beat Flair and the set up to Starrcade begins. While that doesn't affect WCCW much it does lead to a fun Harley Race NWA title defense against Kevin Von Erich. After Kevin loses, David charges the ring and sets up what WOULD HAVE BEEN his run against Flair. You'll see...when the Network updates the stuff I actually got the network for...someday...

I've been a little disappointed in the Monday Night Wars so far. Perhaps it's just territory that has been gone over too often already. It feels like a retread.

For what it's worth I'm enjoying it due to the new interview footage and some of the unseen archives, but yeah, it's all stuff I've heard for the best part of two decades at this point. 

I just have it on in the background when watching MNW.  The new stuff I actually watch from that isn't much anyway.

I echo the hope for more WCCW/ECW TV, especially ECW.  Once I catch up to the last one I'd really love to see how it was when things really got going from '96 on.  It'd be funny seeing their stuff from TNN and hearing them hyping up Rollerjam.

You know, on that discussion, when you think about it, having World Class as part of the launch line-up is kinda strange, no?

No WCW weekly television.  No pre-RAW WWF televsion.  No AWA, no Mid-South, no Mid-Atlantic.  But there's World Class...

Yeah it seems like with some of the stuff they upped in bulk, they forgot to edit some of the music out probably because they were rushing to get the stuff uploaded. This seems to be the one case where rushing to do something is actually a good thing.

There are definitely a couple of ECW ppv's where they forgot to overdub Lance Storm's music.

NITRO IS UP!

Can someone make sense of th  numbering system they use? The FIRST Nitro is listed as 79? Why? Anyway, I was supposed to go workout but I am watching Liger and Pillman. SMH

I'm plowing through Nitro today as well. I forgot how much shit Bischoff used to talk about the WWF. I'd also forgotten that they used to try to pass The Giant off as Andre's son.

Watched the first Nitro of 1996. Enjoyed a Savage-Arn match, then was surprised to see Regal go over Benoit in an unsurpringly good match

Are the Nitros that have Arn's mini-winning streak over Hogan up? Just like the ring steps are Brock Lesnar's weakness, ladies shoes were Hogan's kryptonite. Hot coffee was The Giant's Achilles heel.

Starting Nitro from the beginning, like I did with Raw. One minute into the second Nitro, Mongo drops a "Where's The Beef?" reference.

This is gonna be awesome.

"This is the biggest thing to hit tv since the old lady asked where's the beef."

I'll say this. Mongo had a lot of awful lines but he definitely put over the product and the guys in the ring. You can tell he had respect for those guys as athletes.

Starting Nitro from the beginning, like I did with Raw. One minute into the second Nitro, Mongo drops a "Where's The Beef?" reference.

This is gonna be awesome.

"This is the biggest thing to hit tv since the old lady asked where's the beef."

I'll say this. Mongo had a lot of awful lines but he definitely put over stuffing instead of potatoes and the guys in the ring. You can tell he had respect for those guys as athletes.

Yeah there are definitely worse than him, on all of the early Nitros I've seen he comes across like he's  at least paying attention to what's happening and pointing it out in a way that makes it seem exciting, like even his remedial-level " OH FLAIR HURT HOGAN'S LEG HE'S GONNA ATTACK THE LEG NOW" is frequently more functional as actual wrestling commentary than what you get in current WWE

I'm only two episodes into Nitro and I have to say I'm probably enjoying it more than I did the first time. One of the nice touches I'm really liking is having matches on the b-shows to determine who faces people on Nitro. It kinda gives an extra bit of importance to being on Nitro. The only knock I will put on the show is something I noticed is that a lot of the matches are on the sloppier side of things. Something that I never really felt was as prevalent in the WWE.

Glad to see Nitro on The Network. Should Nitro have its own thread? I feel like its going to need its own thread...I guess we'll see.

The first thing I noticed about Nitro is Eric Bischoff doing his best Vince McMahon cosplay from the gate. I have always liked Vince as the lead WWF announcer and being that  Bischoff was trying his best to sound like Vince (much like Donnie Osmond singing like Michael Jackson on "One Bad Apple"), I guess that made me think of Bischoff's commentary being 'good' at the time. Maybe not good, but definitely passable. I am 10 minutes into the Nitro 80 episode and Bischoff is really aggravating.

Watching Nitro retrospectively is a mind-fuck. Alex Wright vs. Sabu? Awesome.

Glad to see Nitro on The Network. Should Nitro have its own thread? I feel like its going to need its own thread...I guess we'll see.

The first thing I noticed about Nitro is Eric Bischoff doing his best Vince McMahon cosplay from the gate. I have always liked Vince as the lead WWF announcer and being that  Bischoff was trying to his best to sound like Vince (much like Donnie Osmond singing like Michael Jackson on "One Bad Apple"), I guess Bischoff's commentary seemed 'good' at the time. Maybe not good, but definitely passable. I am 10 minutes into the Nitro 80 episode and Bischoff is really aggravating.

Watching Nitro retrospectively is a mind-fuck. Alex Wright vs. Sabu? Awesome.

I never found Bischoff to be a good announcer. He was always irritating as hell to me. Calling a dropkick a "back leg round kick" and dumping on the WWF at ever opportunity.

Sabu was so out of place in WCW at that point. Awesome as fuck but he definitely didn't fit in.

Nitro 80 was 45 minutes long.

- Recap of Hogan/Luger confrontation from first Nitro Episode

- Alex Wright vs. Sabu

- Ric Flair promo

- Sting vs. VK Wallstreet

- Macho Man vs. Scott Norton

- Hogan vs. Luger for The WCW Championship

I don't want to derail the thread, but I never understood why TNA would tape multiple episodes of Impact in one night and have a 4-5 hour show to film two episodes when in all reality TNA could have done just 2 hours of filming. Nitro was lean and mean. In 45 minutes I got to see:

- An awesome young talent in Alex Wright.

- THE STARS~!

- The biggest heel faction in WCW.

- WCW World Heavyweight Title Match!

- The debut of I.R.S..

- The continuation of the "Who's Side Is He On?" angle.

- SABU~!

Again, a very trim 45 minutes and it kept me entertained, interested, and I want to see episode 81 in order to see what the hell is going on with Hogan, Sting, Savage, and Luger.

It's amazing that its 2014 and I feel that the two biggest American wrestling promotions can learn something from WCW Nitro circa 1995. It will be interesting watching all the Nitro's and seeing exactly where WCW jumped the shark in its formatting, because I am so far digging the lean and mean wrestling show of the mid 90's.