DVDVR Message Board

Raw 2-17-14

MGFanJay

Thinking more about it, I guess it's not so much his appearance as his character. Top players don't seem to have strict gimmicks anymore. Bryan's scruffy, but he's a person and not a swamp monster.

I really think Bryan needs to shave his head again, but that might just be coming from the first gimmick I saw him in (with the cape, etc.)

He should have a long-running feud with HHH similar to Paul Jones and Jimmy Valiant, where HHH just sends guys against him and induces his allies to turn on him.  At some point, he needs to lose a match with a stipulation that he must shave his beard.

Question for you all (think I might know the answer with the posts in this topic), the 2014 Match of the Year so far is?

Cesaro vs. Cena easily. It was just as good as Cena/Punk on Raw from around this time last year. That remained in my top 2 matches for 2013..

• Like 1

That was quite the show.  Everything (except the Diva's title match) got at least a segment and everyone was made to look good and/or going to kick someone's ass on Sunday.  

I really think Cesaro is going to knock off one of the big names in the Chamber before walking into an RKO/AA/"Move That Beat John Cena".  

Also, I could watch this gif over and over and over...

QNXEl7x.gif

I really think Bryan needs to shave his head again, but that might just be coming from the first gimmick I saw him in (with the cape, etc.)

If he must shave, he has to go back to the handlebar mustache.

I think it's really easy to see how much Cena loves working with this new crop of guys. They're all so different from everyone he's waged battle with for the past few decades. There hasn't been anyone like Cesaro in ages -- a dude THAT strong who is also ridiculously athletic. Cena defending the gate from these new barbarians is really great and a way to extend his career. Good matches and pinfalls against that dude really matter a lot in terms of making someone.

I'm wondering if last night's match changed any more WM plans. Cesaro doesn't have anything set for WM, does he? Cesaro beating Cena at Elimination Chamber and then looking to even up the score would be such an easy chase and they'd tear the house down at the big show. There's no way Cena's getting less than 30 minutes. Maybe they can stretch out The Wyatts vs. The Shield for another few weeks for a final blow-off match before pulling the trigger on The Shield's blowoff.

Eh, I hate fantasy booking. But man was that match last night terrific.

That was quite the show.  Everything (except the Diva's title match) got at least a segment and everyone was made to look good and/or going to kick someone's ass on Sunday.  

I really think Cesaro is going to knock off one of the big names in the Chamber before walking into an RKO/AA/"Move That Beat John Cena".  

QNXEl7x.gif

What is going to happen when uppercut meets Superman?  Can someone pre-GIf that?

QNXEl7x.gif

What is going to happen when uppercut meets Superman?  Can someone pre-GIf that?

1277899829_termionator-2-bomb.gif

• Like 7

Funnily enough - Pete claims there was a Batista "Boo This Man" sign on RAW last night

I saw that sign too. 

I'd have to watch them back to back but both Cesaro matches are pretty much even IMO. In the Cena match Cesaro got the huge reaction, but in the Orton match Cesaro won. I almost want to give it to the latter but don't think I can. Those two are gonna be fun to compare on Will's 2014 comp.

Question for you all (think I might know the answer with the posts in this topic), the 2014 Match of the Year so far is?

Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt, but we're not even through the 2nd ppv yet, so it's kind of empty at this point.

Cesaro vs. Cena easily. It was just as good as Cena/Punk on Raw from around this time last year. That remained in my top 2 matches for 2013..

For me, it's between those two matches you mention. Can't go wrong with either. Both are terrific.

*shrugs* I liked Edge's version of it. He did crazy eyes well.

A fellow Edge fan!

• Like 1

Man that was one of the best Cena-specific performances since he put over Ziggler in that Ladder match.

Why Cesaro was awesome: 

His grapple stuff is slow and purposeful. He doesn't just float into holds. Watch him work his way into that over the shoulder arm breaker. It's a process, and by making it it's own sequence of events he makes Cena look like a tougher opponent AND makes the move mean something. Cesaro makes all his work in the match meaningful to the point where he can get a Near Fall Heat off of a Giant Swing.  Also check out when he pulls Cena's head down over the top rope and lands to the floor. Instead of climbing up the apron he takes his time and walks up the steps like a fucking MAN.  

This match had a fair share of headlock and chinlock work, which most people shit on as rest hold stuff, but Cesaro and Cena turned them into power struggle stories. The middle of the match is John Cena trying to get out of a chinlock by putting Cesaro on his back and plowing him into the turnbuckles. Fails the first, which sets up for his success when they do it again. 

I really liked the story of Cesaro and Cena being machine like wrestlers who just want to dominate their opponent with power until it's over. Cena just so happens to have the magic bullet finish and big match experience. Great night for Cesaro. They really, after Elimination Chamber, need to start pushing him differently, because he could be a a Kurt Angle type guy that just eats and sleeps beating people up and dominating - and his in ring work makes people believe the character.

• Like 1

They really, after Elimination Chamber, start pushing him differently, because he could be a a Kurt Angle type guy that just eats and sleeps beating people up and dominating - and his win ring work makes people believe the character.

Kind of like someone else that has a similar gimmick and only works on a part time basis, sadly. 

And yes, there were Punk chants, but they died out fast.

I thought it was weird that Cole said the #5 spot wins the elimination Chamber the most, and that's partly because all three of Triple H's wins come from that spot. Feels less like an interesting stat more like pointing out how Triple H lays out his matches.

• Like 3