DVDVR Message Board

Raw 2-17-14

MGFanJay

Almost the whole show was really, really good.

I really liked the slight (or maybe full) Christian turn. And it gave Bryan a really good way to save face when he doesn't win the Chamber match via a busted shoulder, if that's how they're going to have him not win the EC. Christian's such a great professional wrestler. He just knows how to make the right facial expression and gesture and time his sports perfectly to get over as either a face or a heel.

I really liked the Santino/Emma near kiss tonight. Great goofball wrestling. I love they're building towards a Santino/Emma vs. Summer Rae/Fandango tag match. If you haven't seen their match on NXT, you missed a flat-out classic. I'm not kidding. It was one of the best matches of the year. It was a straight up comedy match that was as well-worked as any comedy match in recent history.

The Shield/Wyatt stuff is just some great planning. First there was The Shield promo where they had Ambrose and Reigns get into it a bit. And then Roman takes down Henry to further cement himself as THE future star of the WWE while Ambrose acts like a total lunatic brat and beats Mark Henry when he's down. Then there was a --shocking -- money Wyatt Family promo into another terrific showdown between the factions. Man, there hasn't been build for a feud this great in years. It may have even topped Rhodes Boys vs. The Shield for me at this point. It's just six bad dudes wanting to do bad things to each other.

I really liked Swagger/Kofi, too. That was a good little match. I like how Swagger was "reborn" by Zeb slapping him in the face a few weeks back. That gets Zeb over as a Bobby Knight coach really well. The Big E. squash was fun with Zeb insulting him the entire time.

Naturally, my dog was barking a lot during Cena/Cesaro. She's the best dog but needs to time her bathroom requests around commercial breaks during MOTYC type matches. I can't wait to see this match again. I'm not nuts in saying it felt like it has a place in some "Top 50 Raw Matches Of All-Time" list? I thought it was that great. Cesaro might be the best in the world. That dude is a freak. He's super strong AND agile AND great in all the little things AND also has one of the best spots in the Giant Swing. Cena's at his best when he gets to work like an ace taking on "the next coming" type and tonight showed that. I thought how he finished the match was one of the best endings to a Cena match I can remember. It also shows that while Cesaro might be THE strongest dude, Cena's not too far behind in that department, either. Just an amazing stretch of pro wrestling. I'm really excited for the Cesaro/Bryan/Wyatt triple threat match to headline WM 32 or so.

Man, Batista is just the absolute worst. I was really hoping that ADR was going to say something about his awful belly button tattoo. I thought that was the direction we were headed.

The Wyatts/Sin Matadores match was decent but nowhere near as great as their Main Event match from last week.

Titus has really turned it up since his turn. The dude just crackles with charisma and energy. Hopefully he transitions from D-Young into a good feud with someone who can really work and get him over. I love that dude.

Good work on Sheamus and Orton for holding the crowd's (and my) interest in what's otherwise a total DOA match. The table spot and Sheamus getting fired up and Orton's stalling really kept the crowd from dumping all over that. Orton's heel stalling and taunting are next level stuff.

I loved the Royal Rumble Go Away Show ending. It ties into this year's bizarre WrestleMania season so well. Usually by now we know what the show is going to look like. Now, we don't. But there are so many really talented guys right now with everyone's spot up in the air. Great to see.

I'm all in on Corporate Kane, if it means more focused limb work. What a fantastic segment from the Bryan/Christian match on. Love the look too, like an Anti-Biker Taker run. They need to let him go in boots, though, it must be super uncomfortable to wrestle in dress shoes.

Cesaro being able to flip out of the AA is crazy. Punk sure as hell always had trouble doing it.

Speaking of Punk hope his fans feel free to hijack that Chicago show. Will take awhile to lose the shine from that Cesaro/Cena match and a freaking this is awesome chant during a Cena match. One of the rare times I actually was glad to hear that chant start.

Most of me was enjoying the hell out of that match, but a part of me was wondering what sort of reaction it would get in Chicago, if CM Punk fanboys would try to ruin it.

And they wonder why their PPVs don't do as well as they want.

For free we get MOTY candidates like Cesaro-Cena but on ppv we get boring shit like Orton-Cena part 54.

The buildup for Elimination Chamber has been better than for any PPV in recent memory.

Whether Cesaro becomes a full-fledged superstar is up to The Powers That Be as well as 100 whims, so that's impossible to determine. But he has definitely got a spot as a chief mechanic in WWE.

If his ceiling is being Greg Valentine or  Arn Anderson or Stunning Steve Austin or Christian, that's fine. Because that's at least tangible.

• Like 1

That was an amazing Raw. Not sure what I can add to the Cena/Cesaro talk, but damn, those are two cockstrong bastards. Can't believe that was on free TV. I don't think I FF'd anything but the backstage Batista stuff, Kofi/Swagger and the main event before the run ins. Just top to bottom solid.

Whether Cesaro becomes a full-fledged superstar is up to The Powers That Be as well as 100 whims, so that's impossible to determine. But he has definitely got a spot as a chief mechanic in WWE.

If his ceiling is being Arn Anderson or Stunning Steve Austin or Christian, that's fine. Because that's at least tangible.

His ceiling:

MARCH MADNESS FINALS!!!!!! FUCK PUNK!

Antonio Cesaro: The Big Swing: =========                       37%

Daniel Bryan: The Big Kick: ============================ 63%

Jaedmc posted April 1, 2014, 12:07

"Seriously, fuck you guys."

• Like 4

Just wish I knew why Cena had to backhandedly shit on Cesaro's SD win over Orton. That was random.

To protect the belt and remind us that Orton isn't the chump he's looked like lately? Made perfect sense to me.

And while Zeb is a great mouthpiece for Cesaro, the Real Americans shit needs to go. Him shouting about being the face of America was rough.

Cesaro/Cena was perfect, Cena is best working underdog and Cesaro is such a hoss. That suplex was insane, so was Cena's reversal at the end. They kind of buried Bryan to get over the other angles on the show but he can take it, as has been shown. Orton is working super hard again not to be overshadowed and the Wyatts/Shield fued is beyond great. That finish...

Roman Reigns has changed, man.

I missed the last half of the show doing husband ice-dancing duty, but I did see the Shield stuff and had plenty of twizzle time to think about it and I got to say I like how the turn is going. I can tell because I like Reigns, but I understand the heel here. I know a story is going well when I get the heel's side of things and that's what's happening here.

Dean is the same guy he always was. he didn't make a big show out of it. He just started pounding on the week's victim. Just like they always did. i think he even said "That's what we do!" Because that's. what. shield. does. right?

Right, Roman?

Five weeks ago, Roman would have been right there with him beating on Henry. The fuck? It was good enough for you five weeks ago, but now it's wrong somehow? This. is. who. we. are. At least, it's who Dean is. Same as he always was. That's just his nature. I guess maybe Roman wants to better himself!!! Start watching Downtown Abbey!!!! Maybe take a community college course on social work? Maybe you want to start selling more t-shirts? Sounds like a buch of BULLSHIT to me and Dean.

You are what you are, Roman. Join us, Roman. Embrace your nature, Roman! Eat the noodles, ROMAN!

Lost_boys_fan_art_the_lost_boys_movie_12

Note that Dean is morphing from one Kiefer villain (Ace Merrill) into the next one (David from THE LOST BOYS). Which makes Roman Jason Patric. FUCK JASON PATRIC!!! THERE IS A "K" IN PATRICK!!!!!! Also AFTER DARK, MY SWEET was disappointing.

Actually, now that I think about it, a better analogy is Otto from REPO MAN. You're just a white suburban punk like us, Roman (okay, Samoan suburban just go with me here). Always were, always will be.

Dean's all like, LET'S GO DO SOME CRIMES. LET'S GO GET SUSHI AND NOT PAY!!!!

a204b981993811e090c312313b10052d_small.j

"Man, Roman would have loved this, until he went all weak-ass."

Dammit. It's somewhere in there. Somewhere between Otto and Michael is Roman Reigns. And somewhere between "THEY'RE ONLY NOODLES, MICHAEL" and "I KILL PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!!" is Dean.

Which makes Seth Rollins a cross between

debbi.jpg and tumblr_mueyuk_LTnn1skvbcxo3_400.jpg

When Michael Cole dug into his bag of tricks and broke out 'controlled frenzy', I somehow knew that I was in for a VINTAGE Piranesi post later.

Raw was really good. Bad News Barrett smashing the Legos was probably the weakest segment, and 18 months ago that would have led to a 15 page Raw thread on here about how much charisma he has and how he should win all the belts.

Orton is working super hard again not to be overshadowed and the Wyatts/Shield fued is beyond great. That finish...

It's so great when the scripted lines the character says match up not just with the work in the ring, but with the actual reality of him needing to kick things up and figure out how to be interesting again.

RAW was mainly background sound while I was loading DVD's but that Cena/Cesaro match had me hooked minutes in. Best thing I've seen in WWE in ages (not that I watch much). Just an amazing match.

You should really check out some of the trios they have been running lately Sheamus/Rey/Bryan v. Shield from Smackdown 2 weeks ago and Matadores/Sin Cara v. Wyatts from main event seem like a couple matches you would really dig

Holy fucking shit, that Cena vs Cesaro match was insaaaaaaaaaane. Wow. WOW. What a fucking match. One year, Cesaro is going to hit 100 rotations on the giant swing in the main event at Wrestlemania and it will be AWESOME.

• Like 1

To whoever said the Wyatts/Shield match needs a stipulation, I don't really agree. That's going to be a hate filled brawl, and both teams have proved they can work six man tags without a stipulation. I do see shades of HHH/Orton from 2009, though. Hate filled feud, blow off match should have reflected that... but they had to do it within the confines of a singles match at WrestleMania.

Just a little bit of blood and lots of stiff shots should make that match steal the show.

Great stuff tonight. The initial match announcements sounded real good and they all delivered. Cena/Cesaro was the best, might be my favorite match so far this year.. just about a year to my 2013 MOTY in Cena/Punk. Enjoyed Christian/Bryan, Sheamus/Orton, and Emma too. Would like to see Swagger take the IC title but don't see it happening. Chamber should be great as well.

considering the sheer amount of riding on Orton in regards to not beating anybody in the gauntlet and never winning an EC, they're kinda stuck in-between giving him the EC or making him look like even more of a eunuch, aren't they?

I take the POV of "the people who go over on the last show are losing at the PPV".. and while this isn't the last show.. I think we can predict that Bryan starts the EC match,

Also not sure if they'd do the NAO/Usos switch at EC or hold it off until WM

I do see shades of HHH/Orton from 2009, though. Hate filled feud, blow off match should have reflected that... but they had to do it within the confines of a singles match at WrestleMania.

I just watched the HHH DVD doc and he talks about how that match flopped. A hate fueled angle that led to a match with the stip that made them have to wrestle a straight match that should have been a brawling riot.