DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble

Brian Fowler

Did something happen with Daniel Bryan outside of the wrestling bubble that could prove that he can draw in the casuals like Batista can? 

Did I miss one of the straight-to-DVD movies that Batista did to make him a name outside of the wrestling bubble?

• Like 1

Did something happen with Daniel Bryan outside of the wrestling bubble that could prove that he can draw in the casuals like Batista can? 

Can you fix your stupid fucking signature?

Can you go back to the Muppet?

Did I miss one of the straight-to-DVD movies that Batista did to make him a name outside of the wrestling bubble?

He's going to be in the biggest movie of the summer. 

I used to buy every PPV. This was quite a few years ago now. Then it went down to 4-5. Then it went down to 2-3. It's not an economic situation. I have more money now than I did then. Royal Rumble USED to be a can't-miss PPV for me and Id either have people over or pitch in at a friend's house..  one way or another we would all get together.

I didn't bother with the Rumble this year or have people over or anything. I watched it "elsewhere" while I had the Grammys going on the TV. Why? Because I couldn't shake the feeling that Batista was winning. We all figured as much. I'm not going to pay to watch some bullshit. If they would have called an audible I would have been somewhat disappointed but you know what? I'd rather be disappointed with more money in my pocket than disappointed with less money in my pocket.

If the bullshit continues..  I'm probably out on WrestleMania as well. I hope others feel the same way.

Do you post in the Movies sub-forum at all? GotG has the potential to be a big bomb, but yeah, it could do gangbusters business wise. Biggest movie of the summer? GTFO. And like someone said earlier, he's probably the 10th biggest star in that movie. The chick from Dr. Who is more popular than Batista to casuals.

Do you post in the Movies sub-forum at all?

That was a pretty sweet teaser. You didn't like it?

Not saying that Cena/Orton is quality entertainment. But it doesn't really send much of a message when you spend hundreds of dollars, shit all over the matches, and then keep spending money on the fed. If you don't like it, send them a actual message and stop this Cubs Fan "we'll buy tickets no matter how little the org merits our money" bullshit.

They are probably making people do six-month commitments to the WWE Network to avoid people throwing hissy fits and cancelling their subscription after a PPV that they hate. They've found a way to suck money in from people who hate how Daniel Bryan is being used.

and guaran-fucking-tee that the people willing to cross state lines for PPVs are going to whine and take sweet comfort in the WWE network.

You can't feed the machine and then bitch about how it functions.

Crowds like tonight are the fucking definition of the people mentioned in the Brian Pillman Smart Marks promo. They'd seriously spend their last 20 dollars on the WWE and then yell about how unhappy they are

They clearly paid to see one guy, and they didn't get what they wanted, so they let the company know it. What's wrong with that?

This idea that these anti-status quo fans are just going to keep giving WWE their money is ridiculous. In a given week, that's 1-2 million less people watching RAW on a weekly basis than there was when Cena's run on top first started. The PPV buyrates now are in some cases almost half of what they were during that time period.

The idea that people are just going to keep watching and complaining is ridiculous. Millions have tuned the WWE out and if they keep jerking around their fans like this, I'm sure there's more to follow.

how much money could I make selling "If Daniel Bryan loses, we complain online" t-shirts?

if we're talking ratings, they're in the 3s this year, they were in the 3s last year, the 3s in 2012, the 3s in 2011, They've topped 4 a few times in the last 4 years. They've down to their base by now and it's stayed consistent for a few years. Not going to guess what it proves that their ratings are lower than they were in 2005 when Cena was coming up.. no kidding? no Rock for 8 of 9 years, no Flair, no Michaels, no HHH wrestling, no Undertaker for 48 weeks a year, a change in the focus of the fed towards PG which brings aboard new fans at the expense of others.. of course some of the fans are checking out. That's not a thing that happens because of a lack of Daniel Bryan, it's an economic thing that is no surprise when you have one fed with no solid reason to push for 4s or 5s every week.

I just have no reason to take people seriously who keep handing the WWE their money and then bitching that they just got suckered again. The definition of Marks

But.. they're not continually handing WWE money over and over again. What part about this are you not getting? PPV buyrates now outside of Wrestlemania are roughly half of what they were in 2005-06 when Cena/Orton/Batista all ascended to main event status. That means half the people who used to give them money on a monthly basis are actually NOT doing so anymore. 

They also aren't watching RAW anymore. Your excuse really makes no sense. Yes, Flair/Undertaker, etc. are all basically gone, but Cena and Orton were supposed to be the new guys to keep it going.

OVER ONE MILLION less people are watching RAW right now every week than they were when the Cena/Orton/Batista era began. Half their PPV audience has vanished since that same time period. I have no clue what the live attendance numbers are like, but from the few I've been to over the last couple years, I can't imagine they were this bad during the mid 00's. Spin these numbers anyway you want, but they're pretty much undeniable proof that your "people are going to keep watching and still complain" talking point is pure horseshit.

So?

How many products get judged on their numbers compared to 8 years ago as opposed to more recent frames of reference? Bush was President when Cena became a name, people used MySpace back then, lots of stuff changes in 8 years

Let's just say that a lot of the one million 2005 people not watching now left the ship a long fucking time ago. They've been pretty consistently between 3 and 3.5 for most of the Obama administration. They bled a bit in the later 2000s and they stablized their audience.

The WWE audience are kids and people who swear their next carton is their final carton. What you guys are doing isn't exactly working

When products are giving you essentially the exact same thing now that they gave you 8 years ago then yes, it is quite fair to judge them on the numbers. If the same two teams played for the Superbowl every year, I don't know that the NFL's ratings would be as ridiculously high as they are now.

Dude, the numbers across the board are worse than they were when Cena got on top, and they're worse than they were when Obama took office if that's the barometer you'd rather use. Again, spin it however you wish. The numbers bear out that you're dead wrong in whatever point you're trying to get across.

Best part of tonight was Tortio and the guy that held the WWE title for 400+ days selling for him. Take that Rip Rogers. The Brock thing was cool until the beatdown lasted forever. Kofi also proved why he's still employed with his performance tonight. Can't wait till he finally fails at one of those jumps.

Godzilla?

• Like 3

I'm assuming that's a rhetorical question. Here's a non-rhetorical one: at what point does the shrinking crowd of WWE programming no longer include the mythical "casuals" that only know about Hogan, Rock, Austin, and apparently the most confusing addition to a movie about superheroes nobody has ever heard of headed by some guy from a TV show and a CGI racoon voiced by Bradley Cooper? Follow-up question: at what point do the "casuals" laugh along with the wrestling fans at Bautista?
  • Like 1

I don't know that I've ever heard the name "Dave Batista" uttered on Sportscenter. There's a start.

• Like 1

If WWE was booking Breaking Bad, the second season would have had Walter White killed off and replaced with Antonio Banderas the jaded ex meth head high school football coach who's out to seek vengeance on a Mexican meth kingpin played by some white guy because, you know, ratings.

People like to watch good television. If you build it, they will watch the fucking thing.

I was watching Sting destroy the nWo on a weekly basis in 1997 before this show. Even knowing how it turned out, it was enjoyable as fuck. I spend more time watching old wrestling on DailyMotion or YouTube than watching WWE shows, and it's because no matter how good the wrestling is (and it is consistently good), the shows outside of NXT are just so unsatisfying from a storyline perspective. I'd rather watch '85 NWA most times (and I do). 

I typically don't spend any money on WWE. I'm not a Nielsen family. Really, I am still hyped about the WWE Network, but that's for the old stuff, not their current programming (except for NXT, which I will be happy to get). 

I don't know that I've ever heard the name "Dave Batista" uttered on Sportscenter. There's a start.

You mean this?

If that's the case then we should fire everyone on top, and hire every artist that was on the ESPN Jock Jams albums.