DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

I mean, I'd love KENTA in the WWE if he doesn't get relegated to yet another asian stereotype gimmick. It would justify bringing my autographed picture of KENTA out of storage so I don't have to explain every time who he is, puro, and everything else. But you know he is the next Kenzo Suzuki. Crap, watch us get Suzuki/Dupree reborn as KENTA/Devitt. Only instead of Fifi, Devitt has Hornswoggle. Look at 'im!

Inspired by the KENTA rumblings my list of puro guys who could get over in the WWE if treated with any respect. In order.

1. Okada - He would be great, I think his style would translate perfectly and his gimmick would translate even better.  Okada coming out at Wrestlemania with money falling from the sky while he is wearing about 100 gold chains would get over huge.

2. Ibushi - I'd like to think he would get over, but other than Rey not a lot of smaller flippy guys have really got over.

3. Shibata - I'd love the idea of Shibata coming in as a shit kicker who comes in and smashes fools, but Brock has the legit shoot guy thing on lock right now.  Shibata would have to be booked as a guy who kicks the asses of people who have 40-50 lbs. on him, and I don't think WWE would book him that way.

4. Tanahashi - I think he gets over eventually, but he's old and small, and I can't think of any reason whatsoever for him to ever leave Japan.

5. Nakamura - I love his character, and I think it would translate, but there is a chance people just wouldn't get it.  I think they would need to give him either a sleazy manager (Sylvestor LeFort?) or a slutty looking valet that would participate in very awkward PDA.

6. KENTA - I thik he would work if he didn't have all his signature spots taken already.  He just comes across as someone who can kick your ass.

7. A Dragon Gate trio - From the Dragon Gate I've seen, I think that they could get over, but they would need to spend a lot of time in NXT and the Performance Center to learn basic psychology.  Dragon Gate USA has quite a few guys I think would get over.

8. Sekimoto - I don't have much knowledge of his work.

So I guess I'd rank them

1. Okada
  2. Tanahashi
  3. KENTA
  4. Nakamura
  5. Ibushi
  6. Shibata
  7. Dragon Gate Trio
  8. Sekimoto
  • Like 1

My friend in one of the promotions I work at has been making some silly comedy promo videos, mostly to humour the other boys. We do have a really good cameraman/editor though, which makes all our stuff visually look pretty great:

Why don't more indie promotions invest in a decent cameraman? I see so much stuff shot on phone cameras and poorly edited (if at all). Surely it makes your promotion look a lot better than bringing in an aging legend for one show. And I'm sure there's a surplus of flim students/graduates looking for experience, so I thought it would be a lot cheaper too.

Man, Cleveland has got to be the worst fucking city ever at trying to chant in unison during a wrestling show. I think out of about 20 attempts, the only chants they've been able to execute all together tonight have been "YES" (and they screwed up half of those) and "JBL".

That's because we're all a bunch of free thinkers.

If the previous Best of's are any indication, then there will be more than just wrestling matches on that set. 

Plus, why shouldn't Hunter, and Steph get top billing? Some of the biggest, and most dramatic stories in the WWE this year revolved around the most powerful couple in the industry. 

My list of wrestlers that could get over if treated with any respect by WWE:

1. Every Wrestler

This comment really deserves people throwing out names of alleged heat sinks. Who believes Curtis Axel would get over if WWE "respected" him by letting him use the last name Hennig?