DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

If the previous Best of's are any indication, then there will be more than just wrestling matches on that set. 

Plus, why shouldn't Hunter, and Steph get top billing? Some of the biggest, and most dramatic stories in the WWE this year revolved around the most powerful couple in the industry. 

My list of wrestlers that could get over if treated with any respect by WWE:

1. Every Wrestler

This comment really deserves people throwing out names of alleged heat sinks. Who believes Curtis Axel would get over if WWE "respected" him by letting him use the last name Hennig?

If pushed properly, Axel could get over. However, his first program was with Triple H, who doesn't know how to get talent over.

They need to find something different character-wise for these second generation stars other than "he is the son of a legend.. now watch him wrestle!"

• Like 1

What about Sylvan Grenier could he have gotten over after La Resistance if he was treated with "respect"? Or what about the Cheeseburger dude from ROH if WWE brought him in and treated his with respect would he really get over? While I think that some wrestlers don't get used to the best of their abilities there are some people who just aren't going to get over on TV no matter how you treat them.

LyEcNVx.jpg

Thank God that top billing on this DVD are a couple people that between them wrestled one match last year.

I'm amazed that there is a ratio of barely four matches per disc, the rest being skits.

What about Sylvan Grenier could he have gotten over after La Resistance if he was treated with "respect"? Or what about the Cheeseburger dude from ROH if WWE brought him in and treated his with respect would he really get over? While I think that some wrestlers don't get used to the best of their abilities there are some people who just aren't going to get over on TV no matter how you treat them.

Paul Heyman made people believe a 5'6" pudgy guy from Brooklyn was the most dangerous man on the planet for over 5 years. To the point he became a commodity that went over an olympic gold medalist. A good booker can find a space for talent.

If pushed properly, Axel could get over. However, his first program was with Triple H, who doesn't know how to get talent over.

They need to find something different character-wise for these second generation stars other than "he is the son of a legend.. now watch him wrestle!"

See: Cody and Dustin.

However, The Usos run counter to that point. Those dudes are getting really over. They're doing that by being really, really good and exciting. They also have an awesome entrance.

Axel's fine for what he is. He's not a main event guy. But he's a credible mid-card guy and competent worker. He's got a role. I don't think he's disrespected at all.

Axel's fine if you keep him in a tag-team. Solo? Not so much. Just glad they got the IC title off of him. I really hope WWE stops this "Let's put a belt on him and see what happens" booking they've had over the past few years.

See: Cody and Dustin.

However, The Usos run counter to that point. Those dudes are getting really over. They're doing that by being really, really good and exciting. They also have an awesome entrance.

Axel's fine for what he is. He's not a main event guy. But he's a credible mid-card guy and competent worker. He's got a role. I don't think he's disrespected at all.

The key for the Uso's IMO is that they don't really shove in your face the fact that their dad is Rikishi. I know they mentioned it when they first debuted and it's kind of just generally known, but it isn't a constant "look at these second generation superstars taking after their father!" like with Ted DiBiase Jr, Curtis Axel, Randy Orton and Cody Rhodes earlier in their careers. And it's not like the Uso's share a last name on TV with him or try to mimic things he did in the ring.

Plus they've always kind of had their own "thing" - a unique look, a phrase the crowd could chant along with, and yeah they're exciting in the ring. 

So what if he did sign for I don't know... I'll pretend he signed for 18 years. Outside of a Hall of Fame induction how much money can they really make off of someone who worked for another company 14 years ago, and isn't all that known by the WWE fans of today? 

For large chunks of his career Grenier was worse than Taz would be right now.

For large chunks of his career, Grenier was worse than the chair Taz sits in right now.

That's an insult to that chair! It works hard for what it gets and it doesn't get much. Also, it's probably better than current Taz in the ring.

You know who would get over in WWE? Jun Kasai. Even if he can't work hardcore. People would just flip over how he looks, and it's not like the dude can't wrestle. The goggles into the splash would be so over.

Nothing will be more over than when they find out he's doing it to celebrate Japan's part in Pearl Harbor. Sort of.