DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

So there's this news bit going around. In any other industry, there would probably be monopoly charges thrown around.

WWE is already taking steps against outside promotions running events for WrestleMania 31 weekend in Santa Clara, California. As part of their deal running in the market, WWE has locked in a no-compete with all city-owned facilities int he area as well as several large hotel chains.

Promoters who usually run conventions and wrestling shows during WrestleMania week have been told that the non-competes won't allow any wrestling events to be held in those venues.

Credit PW Insider

So there's this news bit going around. In any other industry, there would probably be monopoly charges thrown around.

WWE is already taking steps against outside promotions running events for WrestleMania 31 weekend in Santa Clara, California. As part of their deal running in the market, WWE has locked in a no-compete with all city-owned facilities int he area as well as several large hotel chains.

Promoters who usually run conventions and wrestling shows during WrestleMania week have been told that the non-competes won't allow any wrestling events to be held in those venues.

Credit PW Insider

I mean I don't see why. Are indy shows the day before Wrestlemania harming Wrestlemania at all?

Seems pointless. There is no competition for Wrestlemania within wrestling.

Oh my god, when did this site become anti-WWE again. Now every little thing they do from here on out is going to be put under a microscope and dissected just because they didn't give Daniel Bryan the big push. What's next, you guys are going to change your hostile opinion of Davey Richards?

I could be 80 some day and suffering from dementia, but the pre-match "THIS IIIIIIS STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING" announcement will be burned into my brain, and not the shitty Michael Buffer one either.

• Like 2

Shit, I forgot about Fink's "The UNDERTAKER" call. 

Clearly they're trying to elevate "SHAAAAAAAAWNNNNN CEEEEEEEEEENAAAAAAA" to that level, and it will never work because his fucking name is John Cena.

Oh, and while I don't have much to add to the DB snub talk, I did want to throw this out there. There's about a 1% chance of this being the case, but I feel like a lot of this is manufactured. It's giving WWE's writers way too much credit, but this is elevating DB way more than chasing for the belt alone would do. It's like someone figured out that the more DB is portrayed as being held down, almost becoming the living version of CM Punk's pipe bomb promo, the more he gets over. After Royal Rumble, things are at such a fever pitch that it's conceivable that they'll pull the trigger on DB sooner rather than later. Logically, this works, but WWE is rarely known for being logical. So more than likely this is vindictive booking at it's best/worst, but part of me holds out hope that someone came up with a different way of pushing DB. It's almost Paul Heyman-esque.

Credit PW Insider
I mean I don't see why. Are indy shows the day before Wrestlemania harming Wrestlemania at all?

They are trying to discourage smarky indy fans from attending the show and ruining it with chants voicing their displeasure.

Maybe they should hold Wrestlemania in Denver and subsidize weed sales to get the smarks to mellow out during the show.

Credit PW Insider

They are trying to discourage smarky indy fans from attending the show and ruining it with chants voicing their displeasure.

I can't imagine that'll work. I also don't really think the indy fans can ruin it. Even with the crowd last night the Rumble was fun, And an amazing, hot crowd wouldn't have saved Cena/Orton.

And hey, maybe Daniel Bryan isn't just over with indy fans?

I don't get why the city would agree to it. "So when you come other companies come and rent areas and bring in money to the community too? You're right we don't want any of that happening."

"Sign the no-compete agreement or else no Wrestlemania or other WWE events in your market" is the usual threat to get the city to agree to the deal. It's like "give us a stadium or we take our football team elsewhere".