DVDVR Message Board

Some contradicting info during the Cena interview. Cena states that he was the only one pushing for Edge as champion, when Edge on the Jericho podcast states that only Vince pushed for Edge as champion.

Cena also says he goes along with whatever and just tries to make it good, but Jericho and Edge both obviously knew that it was Cena's idea to practically bury the Nexus and Wade Barrett.

The Cena interview was really good, guys. He gets a little corporate-speaky at times but, for where he is, that's probably just second nature at this point.

Great talk about the crowd reactions, especially the way Cena sees it as being worse for his opponent when the entire crowd is cheering/booing him and not really paying attention to the other guy in the ring.

The usual spiel about guys need to not be afraid to confront McMahon with their pitches. This one of those weird talking points that so many ex-WWE guys, and even current guys, swear by, and others say it's a great way to fuck up your career. I think it just depends. I read somewhere that Titus went to Vince directly about the heel turn and apparently the company is on board with it, so I guess it has some merit sometimes.

Interesting talk about promos. Austin praised him for getting the crux of the angles/issues over and speaking well. Cena claimed that he's not scripted, and that Arn (who is his main producer) lets him lay out his own matches. Cena's material varies so wildy from the awful comedy to pretty good money promos that I would imagine if he's not scripted he is told to go out and pander to his primary audience a lot of the times. Either that or he knows that the bulk of the people buying his merch are children so he adjusts accordingly.  

I didn't take the Edge thing as a contradiction as Cena just said that everyone told him that day to refuse to drop the belt to Edge and he went ahead with it. He didn't claim that he was behind the idea or anything.

They didn't address the Nexus thing specifically so no idea what Cena would say about that. On the whole, though, as far as number 1 guys go Cena has always seemed to be like the most easy-going and most willing to work with different guys. Bret might be the only other guy, but we all now the stories about how difficult guys like Hogan, Shawn, Austin, Hunter etc. were with who they worked with, and who got over on them. Cena also claimed to not really be interested in creative or booking, which is interesting. Austin says he was the same way, and I guess your life is easier if you don't get tangled up in that stuff.

But yeah, I really enjoyed the interview. Cena, like a lot of the guys at the very top of his profession in any sport/medium, isn't going to go too off-message on an interview but it was a pretty good glimpse at his mindset.

• Like 1

I was waiting for "Hell son, I've been married four times, but every goddamn one of them knew how to use the right hamper, I gotta hand it to yah! I wouldn't know whether to shit or wind my watch if that happened to me, and that's all I got to say about that."

• Like 1

I thought his thoughts on the crowds was pretty good, and he came across as a guy who has thought a lot about how he's perceived and his place in the business.

I mean, I know he uses the "Universe" thing a lot, but that's not the end of the world.

Theres nothing wrong with being a company man its when you cross over to company stooge that theres a problem.

Why?

Cuz you shouldn't be running around telling other peoples business just to get ahead. But there's nothing wrong with keeping your head down towing the line and working hard to get ahead.

Theres nothing wrong with being a company man its when you cross over to company stooge that theres a problem.

Why?

Cuz you shouldn't be running around telling other peoples business just to get ahead. But there's nothing wrong with keeping your head down towing the line and working hard to get ahead.

Oh you mean a legit stooge I thought you just meant a guy who cares more about the company than other people.

Why?

Oh you mean a legit stooge I thought you just meant a guy who cares more about the company than other people.

A guy who cares more about the company then other people can be shakey ground I mean I dont think anybody involved in The Montreal Screwjob are evil people, they thought it was best for business because Bret wouldnt do the job for Micheals on his way out. Thus justifying to them that it was best for business to get the belt of Bret by any means even if that meant betraying Brets trust. It doesnt mean I agree with the decision, I believe Bret is a man of his word and wouldve dropped the belt to anybody but Shawn the next day on Raw. I think going to WCW with the world title was the furthest thing from Brets mind. But I digress.

It was a light interview - nothing you wouldnt have heard before (and if you did think you'd hear something new, more fool you) but I found the really interesting point is that he's trying to learn mandarin in order to expand the WWE into the Asian market. Like he doesn't give enough...

The guy is insane and obviously cares for the company, and situation in which he's been placed. He wasnt the top choice for the role - but he's put in so much work and effort, and took such a risk that he's got the top job. What he and austin said was right - the wrestlers are too afraid to take a chance as they've got no-where to really go afterwards.

The line about sinching in the stf was brilliant. You could tell cena was paying lip service to it. I can only think he doesnt sinch it in is either because A) he cant or B) if kids copy it they dont sinch it in.

• Like 1

Austin is the first guest on The Ross Report with Jim Ross on Podcast one.

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned but Renee Young is doing a history of Wrestlemania podcast on Podcast one, first two guests were HBK and Edge.

Maybe I haven't been listening in the right places but I thought it was refreshing to hear Cena talk in a somewhat semi-shoot manner and his thoughts on the crowd reactions were great.

Yes, the WWE universe style buzzwords were in full effect but he must do a shitload of the bigger talk show type interviews every single day and that kind of shit is instilled into him, being the company spokesman and all. He seemed legit happy and refreshed to be able to talk about the business on an informal level and all I took from the interview was that John Cena is a completely fucking affable dude.

It was a light interview - nothing you wouldnt have heard before (and if you did think you'd hear something new, more fool you) but I found the really interesting point is that he's trying to learn mandarin in order to expand the WWE into the Asian market. Like he doesn't give enough...

The guy is insane and obviously cares for the company, and situation in which he's been placed. He wasnt the top choice for the role - but he's put in so much work and effort, and took such a risk that he's got the top job. What he and austin said was right - the wrestlers are too afraid to take a chance as they've got no-where to really go afterwards.

The line about sinching in the stf was brilliant. You could tell cena was paying lip service to it. I can only think he doesnt sinch it in is either because A) he cant or B) if kids copy it they dont sinch it in.

I am stuck so far inside of the internet wrestling bubble, I didn't even think of this. Maybe some wise internet wrestling sage nerd justified it before you but I have never heard it. If this is the reason, it is a reason i am willing to accept. 

• Like 1

The best part of the Cena show was after the interview was over, when Austin was talking about Cena learning Mandarin. Just as you think he's about to put over Cena for being such a great company guy, Austin ties it back to those "gimmick characters", one of the best running gags on the show. Nearly veered off the road I was laughing so hard.

for the unaware, it's 23 minutes of intro and Q&A before we get to Dutch.

Don't do Stunners on concrete, Kids.

Highlights:

1) Why they put the Main Event 4th in Puerto Rico

2) Dutch getting advice for getting heel heat in Puerto Rico coming from New York Puerto Ricans

3) "Ray Gonzalez is the Ric Flair of Puerto Rico"

4) Dutch's Brody story

5) Dutch noting that nobody really knows who owns the Memphis footage