DVDVR Message Board

Loving all manner of Podcasts at the moment. I really liked Jericho's with Bret. Austin really needs to do his follow up with Bret, ideally going into their feud. Bret's book was excellent in covering that period, and I'd like him and Austin to go through it together. 

I don't find Colt bitter to be honest. Although he seems more at home with indy wrestlers than the likes of Scot Hall, Austin etc. 

I wouldn't hold it against Colt if he has been wounded a bit by some of his experiences in wrestling. Overall he is still an upbeat guy. Strange that I think he gets more fun out of a couple of minutes with Punk and Compton (or whatever close buddy he has nearby) than he does in 50 minutes of interview. 

And if he was still holding a grudge, I don't think he would have gone done and auditioned for an announcer's gig.

With all of these shows starting within a short time from each other, they do seem a tad incestuous, appearing on each other's shows to get the work out.

You would think if they wanted to go that direction that Colt would be about the 4th or 5th person they offer it to.

The WWE podcast, hosted by Steve Lombardi

I don't know how good a host he'd be, but he's been around forever and worked pretty much everybody up until 2002 or so. Could do worse.

You guys know they'd have the fucking Miz host a Network interview show.

The problem with Colt is that he doesn't get into the minutia of stuff. Like, with Ambrose, it would have been nice to hear how The Shield was pitched, how that evolved, how they were able to interact so well, especially because it wasn't a gimmick they fine-tuned in NXT.

Austin's better at getting into the analysis of wrestling. Colt keeps it kind of light and breezy.

But, fuck...it's kind of cool to hate on Cabana but he's the guy that really showed that a wrestling podcast can gain some traction. Shit, when he was in WWE he was the one sounding the horn about using Youtube more and look at that now.

Oh somewhat related, but there's a Cornette podcast where he goes into the ROH stuff with Steen and Davey that's pretty fucking incredible.

Eh, the oversaturation is a big issue in the comedy podcast world and they seem to do okay. I mean, if you listen to Maron and Nerdist you're gonna get a lot of overlap. I would think that, like in the comedy world, the wrestling ones need to pick up a distinct identity.

I mean, Colt is more of a shoot the shit about how you got into wrestling, Konnan is more into rumors and talking shit and the current stuff, Cornette is just cutting rants and talking about old school stuff, and Austin is doing a good job at being more of a general life podcast that is more or less revolved around wrestling. Jericho really needs to find a niche, though.

I think Jericho will find his identity when he starts bringing in the washed up metal guys.

This is exactly what I am hoping for. Loved the Eddie Trunk Interview more than any of the other shows he has done. 

Since I was the one who made the original statement about Colt being bitter, let me clear up what I was trying to say.  I detect bitterness because of how the WWE views him and his style of wrestling.  Also,  he spoke about feeling hurt when one of his idols, Dusty, didn't dig his act. I feel him, finally getting to the big time and cutting him loose, when there is a whole bunch of people who could have been released besides him.  Frankly  I don't blame him, but you can hear it come across in some of his podcasts.

Since I was the one who made the original statement about Colt being bitter, let me clear up what I was trying to say.  I detect bitterness because of how the WWE views him and his style of wrestling.  Also,  he spoke about feeling hurt when one of his idols, Dusty, didn't dig his act. I feel him, finally getting to the big time and cutting him loose, when there is a whole bunch of people who could have been released besides him.  Frankly  I don't blame him, but you can hear it come across in some of his podcasts.

Sure, Whenever wWE development is talked about. But it's not like he just whines about it all the time like Nigel. You could be talking about Wheat bread being on sale & Nigel will turn that into a sob story about WWE.

Ambrose saying every locker on the indies was filed with "Pockets of nerds everywhere" is the best description of wrestling ever.

Yeah, I really liked Ambrose before, but listening to him on AOW made me like him even more. Him talking about the internet smarks in the locker rooms and implying that people should enjoy things made me think he'd fit in well here for a while, only to move on when people started bringing up merch sales.

• Like 1

so Austin and Jim Johnson had a chat for the Tuesday Clean edition.

Notes while listening

1) Jim Johnson was born one county over from my grandmother (he was born in Pocahontas ("Poke-hontas"), Arkansas) before his father got a job in NYC.

2) Austin brought "Bulls on Parade" to Jim Johnson moments before the Stone Cold theme was figured out

2b) the glass breaking sound was more than glass, but sounded like glass. Science. Also the Austin theme took 8hrs to complete.

3) Jimmy Hart made the HBK theme, not Jim Johnson. (News to Stone Cold)

4) Jim Johnson loves Motown music, and isn't big into thrash/scream metal

5) stories of the DX theme, the Guitar Riff Bret Hart theme, the Undertaker theme and Hakushi's theme

So, enjoy the musicial philosophy talk!

so Austin and Jim Johnson had a chat for the Tuesday Clean edition.

Notes while listening

1) Jim Johnson was born one county over from my grandmother (he was born in Pocahontas ("Poke-hontas"), Arkansas) before his father got a job in NYC.

2) Austin brought "Bulls on Parade" to Jim Johnson moments before the Stone Cold theme was figured out

2b) the glass breaking sound was more than glass, but sounded like glass. Science. Also the Austin theme took 8hrs to complete.

3) Jimmy Hart made the HBK theme, not Jim Johnson. (News to Stone Cold)

4) Jim Johnson loves Motown music, and isn't big into thrash/scream metal

5) stories of the DX theme, the Guitar Riff Bret Hart theme, the Undertaker theme and Hakushi's theme

So, enjoy the musicial philosophy talk!

My favorite musical part of the podcast was the Kung Fu fighting interlude.