DVDVR Message Board

I like how Austin seems to bring up Dave's burial of the 91 Bash match every time they talk.

Steve's going to wear him down til he gets another half star in the positive direction.

Someone with skillz should edit the famous Austin/Cameron animated gif with "What's a turn signal?" and send it to Steve so we can get a pilot for Steve Austin:  Driving Instructor.

Regal vocalizing his apathy towards New Country, talking about listening to metal music (Iron Maiden/Motorhead) and his dislike of hair metal.

Yet another couple reasons Regal is the fucking man.

And I don't think he wanted to bother namedropping new wave and Madchester stuff around Austin, but he also alludes to clubbing around the UK through the 80s and listening to what I'm assuming was a bunch of New Order and Vince Clarke stuff.  Really, anyone who loves Saxon and the Pet Shop Boys is after my own heart. 

• Like 1

Regal vocalizing his apathy towards New Country, talking about listening to metal music (Iron Maiden/Motorhead) and his dislike of hair metal.

Yet another couple reasons Regal is the fucking man.

And I don't think he wanted to bother namedropping new wave and Madchester stuff around Austin, but he also alludes to clubbing around the UK through the 80s and listening to what I'm assuming was a bunch of New Order and Vince Clarke stuff.  Really, anyone who loves Saxon and the Pet Shop Boys is after my own heart. 

Really glad I did the math before making a Do You Really Want to Hurt Me joke. Folks, It just doesn't line up.  :/

Great show with the Big Show.  I feel like Steve mentions Bess a little too much.  Show had an interesting career.  Started as a main eventer only to get humbled when he got to the WWF.  Remember all his trips down to OVW?  Still, he's been a mainstay and it was good to hear a little more about his career from his perspective.  

• Like 1

Great interview with Big Show. Great story about his program with Austin and him not understanding working at a main event-level, despite his experience in WCW. Loved the story about the video game check too. "That money's spent. I had some debts."

Quick question: is there any wrestler who claims that being in WWF/WWE made them a worse performer? I mean, aside from guys who flamed out or got jobbed out, but is there anyone who spent time there who thinks that they degraded as a worker? To hear guys like Jericho, Show and Austin talk, they were just guys ("mechanics") before WWE and became full-fleshed out performers after adapting to the company style.

Quick question: is there any wrestler who claims that being in WWF/WWE made them a worse performer? I mean, aside from guys who flamed out or got jobbed out, but is there anyone who spent time there who thinks that they degraded as a worker? To hear guys like Jericho, Show and Austin talk, they were just guys ("mechanics") before WWE and became full-fleshed out performers after adapting to the company style.

Well, casually tossing aside people who "flamed out" kind of prejudices your data set, here. I don't think Vader would say his time in WWF/E made him a better performer, for example.

• Like 1

The Show interview was great. Cena and Show both have come off as really smart, self-aware guys. It's surprising when you consider how oblivious top guys of the past are in shoots.

Show took a shot at Meros money while in WCW.

Austin took a shot at WCW guys who came over to WWE and couldn't make it on the WWE's stage. I can't think of who he would be talking about other than Mero. (maybe DDP (prob not) or Buff)

We need to start taking a tally of all of the shots at Mero's money and abilities show up in various interviews. If you notice, almost none of it is personal.

Good point about Vader. I guess my question is self-defeating. If you got over in WWE I guess you prefer WWE-style. I guess I was curious whether guys like Benoit, Eddy, Rey, Jericho..you know, guys who had success and were acclaimed elsewhere,  prefer non-WWE style over WWE-style and why.

And re: Mero's money. Jesus, talk about shit that has burned a fire in people's souls for years. It's been 20 years and they're still OUTRAGED by it.

Although, and I gather he was wildly overpaid, but Mero was a really good performer and probably could have done more if injuries hadn't wrecked him. He was really good during the latter part of his WCW-run and had potential to go places in WWF before it all got mucked up with his knee and Sable.

• Like 1

Yeah, Mero seemed like a talented guy who had a couple of bad breaks, but people seem to hold his faults against him.  In WCW he was put in a shit gimmick that couldn't last, but somehow got over.  In WWE he probably could have got over if his knees held up and his wife wasn't crazy.  I wonder if he was a problem backstage, because the universal hate for him seems a little over the top based on his talent.

also loved the talk about all the random stuff that Big Show did for money before Danny Bonaduce (!!!) got Big Show a meeting with Hulk Hogan

Thanks a lot. Maybe it's just my own fucked up thinking, but now I'm picturing the Big Show doing lewd things for drugs and money.