DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-6-14 - Old School Raw

MGFanJay

I usually love Old School Raw, so this was really shitty for me. DDP and his yoga disciple were the only old guys that delivered, and really the new Damien was shit. How the fuck did they not have Flair mention football!?!? And the only thing Rikishi and Friends did was make me wish they'd invented DVR a decade or so earlier so that I could have fast forwarded them then, too.

Lesnar was great, but I could give a fuck if Nick Cage was wresting Big Show at this point. Daniel got about as much reaction as this garbage crowd was giving anyone, but it does look like they're going the lame direction--slow burn Bryan comes to his senses--instead of the awesome direction--Bryan plot featuring Kane to hijack the Wyatts to beat the Authority.

I was thinking like with most Old School Raw type shows, that I wish they would've done more with the legends or had more actually wrestle. Then Jake shows up and ended the show on a perfect note. Absolutely awesome to have a legit surprise like that. Thought for sure the legends stuff was over at that point and then all of a sudden hearing that music was incredible. Like others have mentioned, WWE usually work with the same set group of legends so it was extra special to see The Snake get an appearance. I know he was campaigning to be in the Rumble this year so it'd be excellent if it actually got to happen now. Really enjoyed the main event too, great stuff from Punk/Reigns especially the finishing stretch.

Bad News Barrett has grown on me pretty quickly. Definitely think it's the whole rising up podium, just randomly interrupting people standing on the stage is great. Good to see all 3 of Too Cool together, always remember the great pops their dance routine would get back in 2000. I love Aksana and that she's suddenly winning matches now, she rules.

I usually love Old School Raw, so this was really shitty for me. DDP and his yoga disciple were the only old guys that delivered, and really the new Damien was shit. How the fuck did they not have Flair mention football!?!? And the only thing Rikishi and Friends did was make me wish they'd invented DVR a decade or so earlier so that I could have fast forwarded them then, too.

Lesnar was great, but I could give a fuck if Nick Cage was wresting Big Show at this point. Daniel got about as much reaction as this garbage crowd was giving anyone, but it does look like they're going the lame direction--slow burn Bryan comes to his senses--instead of the awesome direction--Bryan plot featuring Kane to hijack the Wyatts to beat the Authority.

Terrible.

I think I'd prefer to see Bryan recruiting the Wyatts to help him, only for them to turn on him ("the devil made me do it") ala Jake/Warrior.

* - Wyatt/Bryan could actually be a half decent bordering on logical Mania match all things considered

* - Face Wyatts = no-one to work against assuming the Shield are breaking up

* - Think it adds another layer to Bray's character and hammers home how delusional he is, that he's not prepared to take on the Machine he despises so strongly despite the presented opportunity to do so.

* - Everyone gets their way - Bryan ends up in a midcard Mania match and doesn't take attention away from the "real" talent.

You could even do the HHH face turn after Mania once Orton loses the title and they go their separate ways, even do the "Kane was an agent of the Wyatts" idea, have the Wyatts stalk him and his family leading to his desperate move of turning to Daniel Bryan for help, who flat out refuses to have anything to do with him. HHH/Batista against the Wyatts for a bit even.

One of my friends tweeted that "Scotty 2 Hotty is the most dad-looking guy ever".  Seeing how old he looked during his worm reaction face gave me the idea that he needs to be the subject of a family comedy movie where he plays a lame middle aged dad that becomes a wrestler to try to connect with his estranged kids by showing he's still 'hip' or something.  The Rock can play his kids' new stepdad.

I turned it off right after the Punk/Reigns match figuring nothing else would happen as they'd run over about 10 minutes and am seriously butthurt I missed seeing Jake.

More than anything, the oldschool Raw makes me realize how terrible nowaday's WWE show intro/break music is.

• Like 1

I think there are far too many Old School Raws. But at least there were different people this time. Sadly, no Mae Young. She would've decked Barrett and it would've been awesome. haha

idk. I thought Dean was unprofessional. I get why he would smile and shit, but your role was to sell Damien.

The Divas tag was good. It seemed like the crowd was more into them then the old farts.

I am sold on Bad News Barrett. The deliriousness of the presentation is too much not to love. Whoever said that they need to have him drive that thing around the arena gets a gold star. Even if he like hits he head on a light, he would make it work.

And I wouldn't judge a Baltimore crowd for the DB stuff. Just like the DC crowds, they seemingly only buy tickets just 'cuz and they should up just 'cuz.

Was at the show. After Barrett ran down the legends Piper stayed behind and was waiting for Barrett to come down. The ring crew had to shoo him away. He looked legit pissed

Barrett doing all that and having a mob waiting for him would be great. He tries to go backward and there is another group waiting. 

• Like 1

Mincing words with Piper and becoming acquainted with Damien - not a bad night for US Champ Jon Moxley.

Yeah, but the Prototype is still the star of the show. Claudio can't even get a win against 500 year old Dustin Rhodes. And Bryan Danielson is getting buried in his program with Husky Harris. :( :( :(

• Like 11

Mincing words with Piper and becoming acquainted with Damien - not a bad night for US Champ Jon Moxley.

Yeah, but the Prototype is still the star of the show. Claudio can't even get a win against 500 year old Dustin Rhodes. And Bryan Danielson is getting buried in his program with Husky Harris. :( :( :(

Yeah, and PG sucks too!

Leviathan is coming back next week, bro!  He's going to burn through K-Kwik, Prince Albert and the rest of those jabronies.

• Like 1

Ryback on commentary was really great.

So how about that VINTAGE Lilian Garcia horse joke? Maybe he was trying to put himself in HHH's good graces.

a great joke delivered by a guy who looks like symmetrical Toxie.

• Like 5

I think there are far too many Old School Raws. But at least there were different people this time. Sadly, no Mae Young. She would've decked Barrett and it would've been awesome. haha

idk. I thought Dean was unprofessional. I get why he would smile and shit, but your role was to sell Damien.

I asked the Wrestling with Text guy to do Ambrose with little cartoon birdies flying around his head to sell it.

He was selling being completely knocked out. You can fan-wank it as Dean Ambrose smiling because he was dreaming of a fat chick orgy. Selling Damien would involve him regaining consciousness and freaking out that a snake is all over him.

• Like 2

Yeah, and PG sucks too!

How come they didn't bring back Sterling Golden since his contract with NWA-TNA expired?  He could have done a run is with Dizzy Ed Boulder. That would have blown the roof off the place.  Also, do you think Vincent K McMahon will ever allow Bladerunner Rock in the WWF Hall of Fame?  I mean come on, Terra Ryzin...you gt the job done with Bruno, now get it done with the Dingo.  Tyler Black has also greatly improved on the mic.  

• Like 1

Raw was all about facial expressions last night.   Dean's shit eating grin while living the dream being kissed by Damien Jr. and the Johnny Valentine-esque look of madness in Brock's eyes when he yanked on Mizzark's arm were the best.

I half expected Flair to join The Authority last night.

Diva's tag was perfectly acceptable with an old school finish.  Not too many matches these days end in flash pins after a whiff on a big move.  It seems like a law or something that flash pins have to be schoolboys or roll ups or have to follow some deliberate impact move.

The WWE Universe makes me sad.  How could they vote for Slaughter when Arn Anderson was right there?