DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Apologies in advance.  This will probably come across a little scattered as I simply write down whatever I'm thinking instead of trying to get it super-organized.

So...the binging is now finished.  I watched the last of season 7 of The Shield last night.  In the end, I'm a little conflicted.  I wasn't particularly impressed with seasons 6 or 7 though there were some great moments (Ronnie flipping out on Vic, for one).  There seemed to be just a little bit too much going on, leaving things a bit of a mess.  As others have mentioned, Shane (Walton Goggins) stepped up his game acting-wise and was generally great by the end.  Chiklis improved and the rest of the cast was the usual hit-and-miss.  Didn't care for Forest Whitaker's character as it was basically just a rehash of his character from Phenomenon.  Didn't buy him trying to frame Vic or his too-soon confession.  That was about as believable as Nicholson confessing in A Few Good Men.  The subplot with Vic's daughter was cliche to the max - she's mad at daddy so she becomes an alcoholic drug dealing slut.  Sounds like a Lifetime movie I've seen 500 times.  And they throw it away by having her become a "good girl" again 5 seconds later.  Then you've got Ronnie showing up one day with no beard before the producers remembered, "Oh crap, he's supposed to have a severely scarred face, he can't have no beard!" and he gets one the next episode. 

The finale?  Well, I'm conflicted there, too.  Vic getting a deal from the feds was more than a little implausible.  I could totally see him betraying Ronnie since his top motivation throughout the show was providing for his family.  Ronnie's rage at the end there was pretty great and well-done.  Shane killing himself seemed a pretty fitting end.  Not sure I buy him offing his wife and kid, too, but I can see it.  As for Vic?  Didn't like that he walked away.  Just have a hard time buying he'd be able to get away with everything like he did.  And I know that his ending - chained to a desk, working indoors in a suit, unable to see his kids - is "the perfect hell" for his character but it felt like an empty payoff for his scumminess.  He deserved the death sentence that going to prison would have gotten him, same as Ronnie. 

So, in the end?  I'd say "pretty good" but never really great, though season 4 comes close.  Considering where it started, with the laughably bad first few episodes, that's a pretty big jump.  I'm gonna say overall it's 7/10.

The Wire time, Tabe!

Excited for your True Detective season 1 review five years from now as well.

Hater.

:)

Up next actually is season 2 of House of Cards.  After that, some serious time dedicated to Assassin's Creed 4.  THEN, The Wire. :)

7/10 is pretty much exactly how I would rate The Shield by the way.  I'm working through HoC season 2 as we speak.

I'm starting it tonight.  I expect I'll be done by Thursday at the latest.  Can't wait!

Shane killing himself seemed a pretty fitting end.  Not sure I buy him offing his wife and kid, too, but I can see it.

(Not so) Fun Fact: Shawn Ryan has said that Shane's fate was directly inspired by the Benoit murders.

Anyway, good on you for giving the show a chance, and then seeing it through. And considering how inauspiciously this whole thing started, I think I'm willing to accept "THE SHIELD is equally as good as DEXTER" as a positive outcome!

Wrapped up season 1 of the Americans. Good not great. It doesn't have the best dialogue or a stack of holy shit moments. The story is good and the leads are strong. I will say if you were born after the fall of the Soviet Union this show might not click for you.

IIRC wasn't Mara kind of pushing the idea too? She was screwed too and she made it clear she didn't want the kids in foster homes. It felt more like a joint thing rather than just Shane himself.

There was a really subtle undercurrent of that, maybe.  But...

Watched the first two nights of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.  I like that it feels like I'm still watching Late Night, which is something I think Conan lost a little when he got the call to the big show.  Fallon getting to stay in NYC and just having to move to the studio next door makes a ton of difference.  Along with not having Leno to deal with at 10

I found it funny in the opening show that they felt the need to explain what a monologue is. "For the first 10 minutes, I am going to tell jokes." What a novel idea. Like everybody watching weren't familiar with the talk show format.

The Shield finale was great, undoubtedly. But the only thing I would have changed was switching Claudette with Dutch for the Vic interview. It felt like it would have worked better: Dutch was always treated with contempt by Vic, mainly for being a bit of a geek and obeying the law; it would have been better and more fitting if he'd have been the one to cut the epic promo on Vic and point out how he's wrecked the lives of everyone with his antics. And you just know him getting that speech off Dutch would have crushed Vic's soul that little bit more.

Watching Bill Nye try to argue climate change with a congresswoman from Tennessee on Meet the Press is making me mental.

If you can make it through that whole thing then you're a better person than me.

I can't believe I watched his entire debate with Ken Ham.

Wrapped up season 1 of the Americans. Good not great. It doesn't have the best dialogue or a stack of holy shit moments. The story is good and the leads are strong. I will say if you were born after the fall of the Soviet Union this show might not click for you.

I disagree. 

Along with Hannibal, The Americans was one of my favorite new shows last tv season.  I'll admit the season 1 finale didn't light my world on fire, but I thought it did have some big moments throughout the season (the Gregory arc comes to mind).  I'm also enjoyed the Stan and Nina's relationship, which is an appropriate slow burn.

The show has a nice core of main actors, which helps a ton.

• Like 1

In light of an article I just read, I'm really feeling the need to give Tabe another shout out for giving THE SHIELD an honest chance.

Apparently he's a better man than celebrated crime novelist James Ellroy who claims to have only watched "one or two" episodes of THE WIRE but has nonetheless declared it "bullshit."

• Like 1

In light of an article I just read, I'm really feeling the need to give Tabe another shout out for giving THE SHIELD an honest chance.

Apparently he's a better man than celebrated crime novelist James Ellroy who claims to have only watched "one or two" episodes of THE WIRE but has nonetheless declared it "bullshit."

Haven't ever watched the shield, but The Wire is a show that is the ultimate slow burn. You have to watch the first season at least to appreciate it. . . 

I remember giving up after four episodes and not coming back to it for a year. Once it got its claws in me though I pretty much plowed through all five seasons in a week. Fun thing was the FBI headquarters was filmed in the building I used to work in so I would see things and outside shots I recognized which was cool.