DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I'm not a regular viewer but I saw an episode of Shark Tank where these ladies had a storefront where they sold cupcakes in jars or cans or some kind of container and they wanted like $200 grand for a 20% equity and nobody bit but one guy came back with an offer of a loan for $200 grand to be repaid within a year or two with no equity stake but he gets something like 50 cents per unit sold in perpetuity.

I just sat there and said that's retarded but they jumped up and down and said yes and I screamed at my TV that perpetuity means forever you dolts.  Forever!

THAT'S THE ONE I SAW!

idiots.  They had just guaranteed themselves a huge surge in sales for being on national t.v.  That advertisement they got by being on there was worth the $200,000 itself.  No way they couldn't make up the difference between what they wanted and what they were going to make over the next few weeks/months with an actual loan.

Now they are basically working for that asshole for the rest of their lives.

FUCKING INFURIATING!!!!!

NBC loves to bring back old shows, yet they still haven't remade the show that has the most potential.  They could make a new Cheers in a different city every year, and I'd at least watch the premiere.  Seriously, they have basically a in house farm system of comedy writers with SNL, and comedy is all they really seem to do right.  You can make a completely different show about the people who hang out at a neighborhood bar for years before it got stale, but instead they want to make Knight Rider and Heroes Reborn.  With that said, I'll probably watch every single Heroes Reborn episode, whether it is good or bad.

MAGIC CITY was brutally boring the few times I watched it. Like a cross between BOARDWALK EMPIRE and MAD MEN, but without an ounce of the fun you can find in the former or the intelligence of the latter.

Hunted was just...blah. Probably didn't deserve a FUCK NO, more like a "nah," but I was on a roll.

True Detective, Banshee, Strike Back, Magic City and Hunted.  Should I be watching any of these shows?  I now have a billion fucking channels thanks to my job, and I figured I should watch some of this shit.

YES

YES

No idea

YES

No idea

TD is the best show on tv. Banshee is a shit ton of fun. Magic City was really great as a period piece and Danny Huston owns it. But it did just get cancelled so what there is is all there is.

I will ride the fence on this one. Magic City was good but not great, middle of the road. But it has Danny Huston being INSANE so you should watch it. It's only two seasons so go for it. 

True Detective, come the fuck on. Watch or die. 

You should also check out Showtime's Ray Donovan, which is my dark horse favorite for recent cable/satellite fare. 

Sylar should have died in Season 1. Instead, Kring got lazy and just made the show revolve around him to cater to the "Sarmy". Everyone else was either painfully stupid (Peter), completely inept at their ability to make a difference (Hero, Matt, Claire, etc.) or feeder fish for Sylar to get stronger than he was.

I think aside from maybe Joe Buck, Erin Andrews comes across as the most obviously conceited and egotistical of the announcer types they trot out. I find her completely insufferable.

I never made that connection, but I can see what you're talking about.

Andrews is going to have to really work to get to the douchey level Buck is on currently, though.