DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Armisen's never been all that funny, but he is a legit musician at least. I have no clue if he's any good, but he was in a band for quite awhile in the 90's and has played with others.

Armisen's never been all that funny, but he is a legit musician at least. I have no clue if he's any good, but he was in a band for quite awhile in the 90's and has played with others.

His set at Festival Supreme was surprisingly decent.

IMO, American Horror Story has always been a bit of a missed opportunity. It gets occasional flashes of greatness thanks mainly to Lange, but all three seasons have tended to fall apart at the end.

x100.

And there's only so much "devious southern belle" I can take. I've tapped out after this season.

I hate to be negative, but I have never found anything done by Fred Armisen funny. I feel worse about myself watching Portlandia with friends because I figure there must be something I'm not getting. He's like Chris Kattan with no comic timing whatsoever.

If it makes you feel better I haven't found anyone on SNL funny since the 90's...

90s SNL is the absolute worst, followed closely by the Will Ferrell/Jimmy Fallon era.

FBI statistics

FBI reports from 1996 consistently put the number of "unfounded" rape accusations around 8%. In contrast, the average rate of unfounded reports for "Index crimes" tracked by the FBI is 2%.[14]

However, "unfounded" is not synonymous with false allegation. Bruce Gross of the Forensic Examiner says that:

This statistic is almost meaningless, as many of the jurisdictions from which the FBI collects data on crime use different definitions of, or criteria for, "unfounded." That is, a report of rape might be classified as unfounded (rather than as forcible rape) if the alleged victim did not try to fight off the suspect, if the alleged perpetrator did not use physical force or a weapon of some sort, if the alleged victim did not sustain any physical injuries, or if the alleged victim and the accused had a prior sexual relationship. Similarly, a report might be deemed unfounded if there is no physical evidence or too many inconsistencies between the accuser's statement and what evidence does exist. As such, although some unfounded cases of rape may be false or fabricated, not all unfounded cases are false.[2]

So, yeah, misleading statistic I guess. No one seems to agree on it, but it seems to track with most other crimes.

I hate to be negative, but I have never found anything done by Fred Armisen funny. I feel worse about myself watching Portlandia with friends because I figure there must be something I'm not getting. He's like Chris Kattan with no comic timing whatsoever.

If it makes you feel better I haven't found anyone on SNL funny since the 90's...

90s SNL is the absolute worst, followed closely by the Will Ferrell/Jimmy Fallon era.

Oh brother...next you'll tell me The Jerky Boys aren't funny...

Well I can't fault you on any of those they're all great shows.The 90's was just a better time for comedy, I mean I remeber when Comedy Central had Kids In The Hall, MST3K, The Critic, Dream On, The Tick, Ab Fab, all airing on it. MTV had B&B and The State. Great times...

IMO, American Horror Story has always been a bit of a missed opportunity. It gets occasional flashes of greatness thanks mainly to Lange, but all three seasons have tended to fall apart at the end.

Asylum was good but went downhill towards the end, but was decent overall.  The other two series started with a lot of potential (especially with the talented cast Coven has) but just devolved into mean spirited soap operas that just happened to feature ghosts or witches.  I stopped watching Coven after about 4 episodes when it was getting so over the top it was approaching self-parody.

Finished season 5 of The Shield.  Definite drop from the quality of season 4 though still very good thanks to the on-the-edge tension brought on by the IAD investigation.  Problem is, I never bought the way that all went down with the whole "well, we got Lem, so we'll just drop it" aspect.  Didn't make much sense.  Having Claudette suddenly showing signs of her illness reeked of "WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING WITH HER!!!!" desperation.  Ditto bringing in the hottie new cop.  Forest Whittaker as the IAD investigator was a fine "big name" addition to the cast but nowhere near Glenn Close.  I did get a kick out of Vic banging Forest's ex-wife.  That was such a deliciously messed-up thing to do.  And then he bangs the hottie lawyer.  Nice work, Vic :)

As for what Craig asked me:

I read the spoiler ahead of time thinking I'd already passed the plot point you were talking about.  So the impact of Shane killing Lem was greatly diminished for me.  That said, I think I would have felt something like that coming.  It was obvious that Ronnie was kinda pushing in that direction and Shane was obviously feeling it a bit too.  The scene with Lem & Shane was terrific, very well done.  Having Lem be still alive for a bit so Shane could apologize was awesome and both guys really hit their marks in that one.  Well done!

Comedy's been really great the past few years. There is all sorts of new stuff that has been awesome. It's also really easy to make content that gets out there to the masses. I loooove Broad City and that show came from their YouTube videos. Drunk History's been around for years and is so good.

One of the best comedians of the current era is Nathan Fielder, the host of the amazing NATHAN FOR YOU on Comedy Central. The first season of that show is required viewing and rules. It's sort of Andy Kaufman-ish. The premise: He's a so-called "marketing expert" who convinces small businesses to help him help them. Of course, all of his ideas are completely bizarre. The best one is when he convinced a gas station to offer gasoline at like 50 cents per gallon. It created pandemonium, naturally. But in order to get the gas deal, you had to go through an elaborate set of objectives that included a strenuous hike up a mountain while answering a series of riddles during an overnight camping trip. And people actually went through with this.

What's best about it -- the show is never mean to the business owner. Nathan's smart enough to make the joke about him.

He's also the brains behind DUMB STARBUCKS.

A lot of the 90s stuff is great. I would say that MST3K and Kids In The Hall informed my sense of humor and how I live my life more than any other form of entertainment. But there's still a ton of great stuff today.

I did get a kick out of Vic banging Forest's ex-wife.  That was such a deliciously messed-up thing to do.

I can still see that "Well, shit, alright!" look on Vic's face.

Yeah, he...uh..."nailed" the "facial" in that scene.

*snicker*

• Like 1

The Wonder Year is finally getting a DVD release...and supposedly with much of the original music in place:

In 2014, StarVista Entertainment/Time Life - the premiere marketer of classic TV on DVD - will release THE WONDER YEARS: THE COMPLETE SERIES to the home entertainment marketplace. The most requested TV series never to be released on DVD, which ran on ABC from 1988-1993, garnered multiple Emmy Awards, a Golden Globe and a Peabody, and was named by TV Guide as one of the "Top 20 Shows of the '80s" will make its very long-awaited debut in the second half of 2014. To best serve the numerous fans of the program, StarVista Entertainment/Time Life has launched WonderYearsDVDs.com, the official site for all updates, exclusive content and pre-orders.

"The Wonder Years has long been the most requested TV show yet to be released on DVD, and we're thrilled to have the incredible opportunity to bring this iconic show to its many fans," says Jeffrey Peisch, the Senior Vice President, Entertainment Programming & Marketing for StarVista Entertainment/Time Life. "As we've done with many other classic TV shows, the series will be treated with the care and attention it fully deserves after all these years, with deluxe packaging, robust extras and a lot more. We're really big fans of the series, too."

As it did for China Beach, StarVista Entertainment/Time Life is painstakingly securing the rights for virtually every song in The Wonder Years. From Cocker's theme song, to hundreds of other memorable and classic soul, rock and pop songs, including classics from The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Smokey Robinson, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison and many others, StarVista /Time Life recognizes the necessity to release the series as it was initially broadcast, un-edited and untouched from original broadcast masters.

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/19455#ixzz2t3fgqgWQ

Lee David Zlotoff (Macgyver) noted in a recent interview he's currently developing The Last Moriarty, a detective show based around a guy who finds out he's the last descendant of the Moriarty family and then decides to track down the criminals that make up the Moriarty criminal empire, a la The Blacklist.

IMO, the Sherlock Holmes cash-ins might have jumped the shark when they don't even feature Sherlock Holmes anymore.