DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Someone should do a show on Edgar Allen Poe's C. Auguste Dupin. He was the inspiration for Holmes and the first ever fictional detective. It would be similar enough to get in some of the Holmes fanbase, but you'd also be able to do your thing with it.

IMO, American Horror Story has always been a bit of a missed opportunity. It gets occasional flashes of greatness thanks mainly to Lange, but all three seasons have tended to fall apart at the end.

Asylum was good but went downhill towards the end, but was decent overall.  The other two series started with a lot of potential (especially with the talented cast Coven has) but just devolved into mean spirited soap operas that just happened to feature ghosts or witches.  I stopped watching Coven after about 4 episodes when it was getting so over the top it was approaching self-parody.

I couldn't agree more that it's a show that starts off right and generally goes off the rails at the end of the season, but I thought Coven was actually the strongest finish yet.  Of course there was something *ahem* Emma Roberts and Taissa Farmiga *ahem* that would have kept me watching this season no matter what.

Although the stunt casting of Stevie Nicks was a real eye roller for me.

Watching the fourth episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine when it aired last Thurday night I thought I'd seen the actor playing Detective Sergeant Terence "Terry" Jeffords, Terry Crews before from a show I once watched. I was right, Crews was T-MONEY in Battle Dome!

David Fincher is directing the pilot for a HBO remake of cult British sci-fi show Utopia. It's set in this futuristic society where everyone is trying to get their hands on this mysterious graphic novel that will bring about the end of the world.

Usually I'm not keen on remaking things that were originally in English anyway, but Utopia always has been notably low budget, so at least the HBO one will have better productions values and whatnot. And I can totally get into Rooney Mara as Jessica Hyde.

Wasn't it Crews who did those "office linebacker" ads for reebok years ago?

No, this is Terry Crews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcpyoRAiSf0

Also, I always like Chris Parnell and it's nice to see him voicing characters on both Archer and Rick and Morty, which got a second season renewal today.  Both of these animated shows are really good right now too.

Also, some places are reporting that Comcast is going to buy Time Warner.  I, for one, welcome our new cable conglomerate monopoly.

• Like 2