DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Guest Edwin

Is anyone watching Broad City on Comedy Central? It started out a bit slow, but I'm up to episode 4 and it's picked up and it's really funny and fun.

Is anyone watching Broad City on Comedy Central? It started out a bit slow, but I'm up to episode 4 and it's picked up and it's really funny and fun.

I agree that it has picked up the past few episodes, and has started to find its voice a little bit. I thought last weeks episode was the first that was funnier than the Workaholics episode before it. Perhaps because he is used so sparingly, I think Hannibal Burress is just hysterical and easily the funniest part of the show. Part of me thinks they should do an episode that is centered on him with the girls just popping in and out with no context for their insane circumstances and conversations. 

He was so terribly unsmooth about it. The head table of a Viking feast is not the time to be dropping that kind of thing on your wife, you have to start dropping hints long in advance. Ya biffed it, Ragnor.

That said, big fan of the show. Had to convince myself to keep watching through the first half of the first season, the pilot I especially found to be dull, but it's really found a groove since then.

Also, best hairstyles on tv. For whatever that counts for.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/bruce-wayne-role-cast-in-wbtvs-batman-origins-drama-for-fox-1201125089/

Fox's Gotham have cast Bruce Wayne, he was Keifer Sutherland's son in Touch.

182190476ia090_5th_annual_l.jpg?w=640&h=

Not terribly keen on this whole premise to be honest. I'm kind of reminded of Patton Oswalt's rant about the Star Wars prequels. "Hey, we get to see Batman on TV again? Amazing! What's he's doing, kicking ass and driving around in his cool big car?" "Eh, no, he's mourning the loss of his parents and trying to finish his algebra homework." "Oh."

IMO, if they wanted to the prequel route, they could have focused on the seven years that Bruce was away training to be a bad ass. 

• Like 1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-pilots-2014-complete-guide-667314

They're gearing up for pilot season now.  Notable ones:

The Odd Couple
Logline: Matthew Perry plays Oscar Madison in the half-hour comedy based on Neil Simon's Broadway play.
Cast: Matthew Perry, Sarah Baker (Go On)
Team: W/EP Matthew Perry, Joe Keenan (Glee, Frasier); EP Eric Tannenbaum, Kim Tannenbaum, Carl Beverly, Sarah Timberman
Studio: CBS Television Studios, Tannenbaum Co., Timberman-Beverly
Format: Multicamera

CSI spinoff
Logline: Technology, as we know it, has amplified human behavior to the point where faceless criminals are committing crimes at global proportions with a touch of a button. Avery Ryan, special agent in charge at the Cyber Crime Division of the FBI in Quantico, VA, is tasked to solve high-octane crimes that start in the mind, live online, and play out into the real world. Inspired by cyber-psychologist Mary Aiken's work.
Cast:
Team: W/EP Anthony E. Zuiker, Carol Mendelsohn, Ann Donahue; EP Jerry Bruckheimer, Jonathan Littman; P Mary Aiken
Studio: CBS Television Studios, Bruckheimer Television

NCIS: New Orleans (two-part NCIS backdoor pilot)
Logline:The NCIS New Orleans office handles cases from Pensacola through Mississippi and Louisiana to the Texas panhandle. With its rich setting of music, fun and debauchery, New Orleans is a magnet for military personnel on leave.
Cast: Scott Bakula, Zoe McLellan (JAG), CCH Pounder, Lucas Black, Paige Turco (guest)
Team: W/EP Gary Glasberg; EP Mark Harmon
Studio: CBS Television Studios

Marry Me   
Logline: Centers on a longtime couple (Casey Wilson, Ken Marino) who get engaged -- only to quickly realize that it's harder than it looks. 
Cast: Casey Wilson, Ken Marino, Tim Meadows, John Gemberling, Sarah Wright, Tymberlee Hill
Team: W/EP David Caspe (Happy Endings); EP Jamie Tarses; EP/D Seth Gordon
Studio: Sony Pictures Television, FanFare
Format: Single-camera

Constantine
Logline: Based on DC Comics' Hellblazer graphic novels, the drama centers on master of the occult John Constantine (Matt Ryan), based on the “Hellblazer” graphic novels. Constantine is struggling with his faith as he is haunted by the sins of his past but is suddenly thrust into the role of defending humanity from the gathering forces of darkness.
Cast: Matt Ryan
Team: W/EP Daniel Cerone (Dexter); EP David Goyer (Batman Begins); D Neil Marshall
Studio: Warner Bros. Television

Emerald City (10 episodes, ordered straight to series for midseason 2014-15)
Logline: A reimagining of the classic Frank L. Baum books that have inspired everything from the Wizard of Oz to Wicked, the series is a dramatic and modern reimaging of the tales that include lethal warriors, competing kingdoms and the infamous wizard as he's never been seen before. A head-strong Dorothy Gale, 20, is unwittingly sent on an eye-opening journey that thrusts her into the center of an epic and bloody battle for the control of Oz.
Cast:
Team: W/EP Matt Arnold, Josh Friedman
Studio: Universal Television

Jane the Virgin
Logline: Based on the Venezuelan telenovla, the story centers on a hard-working, religious, young Latina woman who is accidentally artificially inseminated following a series of surprising and unforeseen events.
Cast: Gina Rodriguez
Team: W/EP Jennie Snyder Urman (Emily Owens, M.D.); EP Ben Silverman, Gary Pearl, Jorge Granier; D Brad Silberling
Studio: CBS Television Studios, Electus

Yeah, some of them sound really bad, Constantine sounds interesting though.

CSI spinoff

Logline: Technology, as we know it, has amplified human behavior to the point where faceless criminals are committing crimes at global proportions with a touch of a button. Avery Ryan, special agent in charge at the Cyber Crime Division of the FBI in Quantico, VA, is tasked to solve high-octane crimes that start in the mind, live online, and play out into the real world. Inspired by cyber-psychologist Mary Aiken's work.

Cast:

Team: W/EP Anthony E. Zuiker, Carol Mendelsohn, Ann Donahue; EP Jerry Bruckheimer, Jonathan Littman; P Mary Aiken

Studio: CBS Television Studios, Bruckheimer Television

No Caruso, no sale.

Marry Me   

Logline: Centers on a longtime couple (Casey Wilson, Ken Marino) who get engaged -- only to quickly realize that it's harder than it looks. 

Cast: Casey Wilson, Ken Marino, Tim Meadows, John Gemberling, Sarah Wright, Tymberlee Hill

Team: W/EP David Caspe (Happy Endings); EP Jamie Tarses; EP/D Seth Gordon

Studio: Sony Pictures Television, FanFare

Format: Single-camera

HAPPY ENDINGS PEOPLE!!!!!!

Jane the Virgin

Logline: Based on the Venezuelan telenovla, the story centers on a hard-working, religious, young Latina woman who is accidentally artificially inseminated following a series of surprising and unforeseen events.

Team: W/EP Jennie Snyder Urman (Emily Owens, M.D.); EP Ben Silverman, Gary Pearl, Jorge Granier; D Brad Silberling

I hate when studio suits serialize the monotony of every day life.

At least with Smallville, Clarke was old enough to be actively involved in storylines. Not sure what a 12 year old Bruce is going to be able to do.

Plus, while Clark had no flights or tights, at least he had some powers which logically gave him a reason to get involved. From the age of 7-8 when his folks were murdered up until his teens/early twenties, I don't picture Bruce doing much more than moping around and experimenting with being a Goth.

I badly want this show to be good because I love the Gotham PD series and am a huge fan of Ryan Atwood but if this turns out to be Bruce Wayne: Junior Detective with him showing up to help the police and inventing wacky gadgets every week, it's going to be awful.

Matthew Perry has to be getting a little sick of pilot season now.  He's not giving up though.  You have to give him that much. 

I hope the show Tim Meadows is on gets picked up.  I always like him for whatever reason.

I don't know much about the John Constantine character besides the Keanu movie and his cameo in the Sandman comic, but I thought his comic book universe was a bit too mature for a network channel to take a risk on.  The CW must be one getting that one.

Well 12 year olds today aren't like 12 year olds before

Gordon: Damn, that mugger got away!

Bruce: Oh, it's OK. I got a photo of him on my phone! I'll put it up on twitter and see if anyone recognizes him!

RE: Matthew Perry. I'm not sure why he bothers starring in these awful sitcoms. Guy must have tens of millions from Friends. He doesn't need to. And if it's about keeping busy, there's tons of other stuff he could do.

Jane the Virgin

I hate when studio suits serialize the monotony of every day life.

"Accidentally artificially inseminated" may be my new favorite phrase.

'Cause you know. That type of thing just happens. *shrugs*