DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Until there's a true backwards compatibility on PS4 (where all you need to do is download a system update and insert the disc), I won't bother with PlayStation Now. I hate to see how the program will work on games with pulled multiplayer support.

Big Rumor is Backwards Compatibility may come for PSX/PS2 stuff, but I guess PS3 stuff is doubtful.

I could seriously see it being my go-to game on this laptop for a long time, when you want that 15 minutes of action that arcade games have always done well. It really feels almost like a game out of time, but in a good way because I've never played anything exactly like it before. Arcade is really an entirely different field of design from most home gaming, because any arcade game basically has to show you everything it's got in that first 10 minutes, then it just throws more and more of those things at you. This is a game that runs with that same kind of philosophy for sure.

Some of those nunchuck/lightsword levels are just brutal, but never unfair. I'm just old and slow. That's the part where if it *was* an arcade game there'd be that one guy making an angry face and shoving more quarters in to show the game what's what.

I had gotten WWE '13 the Christmas it came out. It ended up buried under the other stuff I'd been playing and, honestly, I sorta forgot I had it. Started playing it 2 weeks ago and I'm having a blast with the Attitude mode.

I don't play wrestling games much anymore, so a lot of what this game offers is new to me and the crap everyone complains about doesn't bug me too much. It's fun to just have Lesnar or Austin mow through dudes and re-living the classic moments.

Gave Pure Pool a try last night.  Fun game so far.  FABULOUS graphics - photo-realistic (seriously).  However, the viewing angle for setting up shots is so close and zoomed-in that it makes long shots reaaaaaaaly hard.  There's a free roam camera but you can't aim during that mode.  And you can't zoom in on that mode which is a pain since the 3 & 5 balls look fairly similar.  Anyway, good so far, but I haven't played online (and I've heard that's a bit of a trouble area...).

What in the world is Proteus? Just spent 15-20 minutes wandering around and it was...kinda fascinating.

I think I'll give Fez another go. Own it on Steam, but it never really grabbed me. I've read enough about it to know that there's some deeper, weirder stuff to find but not enough to spoil anything. That's a good spot to be coming from.

So, now playing Crysis 3.  Its strange, since I have to adapt to playing a FPS differently than I have before, since this focuses more on stealth than just dealing with waves.  Its betting used to using the visor to tag baddies that I'm having trouble seeing outright that's giving me issues.

The nephew, who I've mentioned many times on here before but now actually lives with us, had been wanting to have a night of gaming with me, so we sat down and looked for a fun co-op game to play.  Preferably one that one of us isn't significantly better than the other at (so no FPS, no sports, and no 1-on-1 fighting games).  We eventually settled on Double Dragon Neon.  I've talked about this on here before - the game isn't very good but we had a blast.  There's all kinds of things wrong with the game - the enemies are cheap and cheat like crazy, it's basically impossible to avoid taking damage much of the time, and so on.  The power-up/upgrade system also sucks, in that you have to visit these shops to buy certain upgrades - only the shops only appear on one level and you have to replay the level to visit the shop.  Ugh.  The music is a mixed bag, some great, some terrible.  The dialogue is intentionally awful and cheesy and is hilarious.  Lots of 80s-style insults ("Butt pipe!  Butt lord!  Butt king!  Wiener!" etc).  We ended up getting to the very end of the game but not able to beat it.  We'll give it another go some other night.  For fun, I looked through the trophies and I can't even fathom somebody getting the platinum.  Completing entire levels without taking damage?  Uh...yeah.

One of the GTA Online crew needs to run around calling random outlanders "butt pipe".

There's a roughly 100% chance that my nephew and I will be using those names on each other.

Fellas, has there ever been any decent espionage games? I seem to remember In Cold Blood on the PS way back when being okay, and there was Alpha Protocol more recently which was awful. After that I'm kinda drawing a blank

Resident Evil is getting an HD remake for current/next gens. Release is early next year. I know the series hasn't aged well, but giving the first game a facelift is definitely a good thing. Now, about RE2 and 3...

A face lift and abandoning tank controls for a free aim 3PS system would rekindile my interest in Res Evil.

I have been spoiled by ME3 co-op multiplayer.

What do you mean by espionage?  Movie shit or stuff where you're just some old guy sitting on a bench and you leave a newspaper behind without talking to anybody shit?

I guess more towards your second example, looking for clues, point and clicky maybe. Obviously there's games out there such as Splinter Cell, Syphon Filter etc that touch on the spy/espionage genre but it feels like something that really hasn't been a focus in games. As I mentioned, Alpha Protocol tried to do it but it was a poor game (it marketed itself as the spy version of Mass Effect) and I remember In Cold Blood being good but very flawed action wise. These ideas came to me after just finishing Velvet by Ed Brubaker

Resident Evil is getting an HD remake for current/next gens. Release is early next year. I know the series hasn't aged well, but giving the first game a facelift is definitely a good thing. Now, about RE2 and 3...

Well technically it's just a HD upgrade of the Gamecube REmake that not many people got to play. Also, it's fucking awesome

I would give my left nut for a full remake of 2 though