DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

What are you playing? So far I have 3D World (incredible!), Mario Kart 8 (awesome!), Zombiu (eeeehhhh), and Pikmin 3 (haven't gotten into it). I find I mostly play Wii U with friends and PS4 by my lonesome. I want to go back and play some of the Wii's best games before throwing down a bunch of money on new Wii U games, though. The Game of the Generation thread is helpful.

I have most of the same games you do. My system came with New Super Mario Brother U and New Luigi U. Then I bought Mario Kart 8, got Pikmin 3 for free, and just bought Super Mario 3D World earlier today actually. Also still playing a lot of Smash Bros. Brawl.

One frustration: The Wii Classic Pro Controller doesn't work with New Super Mario Brothers U, but does with Mario 3D World. So if we play New Mario Bros., he's gotta use the shitty Wiimote. I don't understand that at all.

All those games are fine and good, but you guys realize that you NEED Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, right?

Because I am an idiot who loves pain(fully awful but mindlessly fun), I picked up Sacred 2: Gold edition from Steam for $3.99. I played the non-gold version on the PS3 and I know that the main quest is just there to point you to new areas, not to actually make any sense at all. ;-)

Because I am an idiot who loves pain(fully awful but mindlessly fun), I picked up Sacred 2: Gold edition from Steam for $3.99. I played the non-gold version on the PS3 and I know that the main quest is just there to point you to new areas, not to actually make any sense at all. ;-)

Word of caution about Sacred 2 Gold on PC: It will install but not run.

Word of caution about Sacred 2 Gold on PC: It will install but not run.

So far so good here. Played about 20 minutes before I remembered why I always turned down the voices and the music. ;-)

Why people still use Skype when there are other and easier video calling clients out there amazes me.

In my case, because I wasn't making a video call. I had left my phone at a friend's last night, and needed to call to ask him to bring it by or meet me somewhere. I knew there was no way he'd see an email before like 4pm.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I've been playing L.A. Noire between FIFA sessions and decided to check some reviews on it.  I don't understand how a lot of places / reviewers gave this game 100's and other top scores (whatever scale they use), when it's just not a good video game.  I get it was ambitious, but that doesn't make it good.  It's more close to awful than good.  The mechanics are crap, especially the fighting, the running after folks, the clumsy cover system / shooting.  Some frustrating moments like walking to the driver side door and getting run over (I have to look both ways before getting in my car in a video game?  I'm not running out in traffic either.  I've got shit to do). 

I'm on the Vice desk so hope it gets better, but the story doesn't wow me and I don't see any new mechanics popping up this late in the game. 

I've been playing L.A. Noire between FIFA sessions and decided to check some reviews on it.  I don't understand how a lot of places / reviewers gave this game 100's and other top scores (whatever scale they use), when it's just not a good video game.  I get it was ambitious, but that doesn't make it good.  It's more close to awful than good.  The mechanics are crap, especially the fighting, the running after folks, the clumsy cover system / shooting.  Some frustrating moments like walking to the driver side door and getting run over (I have to look both ways before getting in my car in a video game?  I'm not running out in traffic either.  I've got shit to do). 

I'm on the Vice desk so hope it gets better, but the story doesn't wow me and I don't see any new mechanics popping up this late in the game. 

They won't, trust me. But the ending will make you want to smash the game with a hammer.

They won't, trust me. But the ending will make you want to smash the game with a hammer.

The game had a lot of production issues as well. I think the studio that made it went bankrupt and was full of corruption and what not.

I thought the game's story got a lot better once you start getting into the "Zodiac Killer" stuff.

I liked it - not game of the year by any means but it was a fun way to pass the time.

I thought its facial expression gimmick was decent - not ground breaking - but very good at what it did.

I do admit however, that the final couple of levels were just completely absurd. It almost felt as if the final couple of levels were the writers trying to get themselves out of the proverbial writing hole.

Driving around LA was pretty boss though.

I hated the game more than it deserved.  Mainly because I was stuck being Edmund Exley, and I wanted to be Bud White.  That and the fact that everythng going on in LA involves this small group of about 10 guys.

About 1/3 of the way in I started playing it like it was GTA, and started running over every pedestrian I could find. 

Am now about 47 hours into Rainbow Moon.  Playing more and more, the game's flaws become evident.  For example, after awhile you can skip the animation for some - but not all - of the spells you cast.  Given that you cast some of these literally thousands of times, it gets old seeing the same animation over and over.  Not to mention you have to earn the right to skip the skippable ones.  Good grief.  Combat is way too repetitious and there's tons of it.  I checked my stats just now and I've been in 586 in 46 hours.  Yeah, nearly 13 fights per hour.  The combat system is pretty good and I like the way all of it is handled, there's just soooooo much of it.  I hate that you can only have 3 people in your active party.  I've got 5 characters I can control but only 3 can be used at one time.  The end result is that it's REALLY hard to level up everybody to a reasonable level.  Speaking of which, you have to buy your character's improved attributes using pearls you earn by winning battles.  Problem is, the game is really stingy about giving them out.  Ditto for the regular coins you use to buy stuff.  I bought booster packs for all the characters.  I can't imagine having to earn all the pearls to boost the characters.  One of mine, for example, started at 50000 and is now at 30000.  Ugh.  Finally, the map system for the game sucks.  The in-game map isn't nearly detailed enough and it doesn't show you the names of areas and towns, just the names of huge regions.  So finding that one guy need for a side quest can be a challenge.  

Having said all that, the game creates a nice sprawling world that is fun to play around in and is nicely drawn   I definitely still intend to get the platinum trophy but I can say it's tough to play more than an hour at a time.

So there is basically zero chance of me NOT buying the Vita version of Another World tomorrow, unless it's a truly abominable port. Some games I just can't pass on when reissued even though I already have them in 5 formats. (Also on the list: Joust, the first three Ys games, Archon)

Might want to wait and see what the guys from "Retro Gamer" have to say about it.  They love the original and are likely to be the best measure of whether the new version is any good.

So it's too early to declare victory before I have a system in my hands, hooked up and confirmed to be free of worrying quirks, but I MAY finally have my replacement PS4 tomorrow. Sony also offered me a free first-party game as an apology for the fact that it's taken 8+ weeks, but it has to already be on shelves (which lets The Last Of Us Remastered out of the running). As a result, probably going for Killzone either on PS4 or Vita.