DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Guest The Magnificent 7

LA Noire is getting worse as the story advances.  I got busted down to the Arson squad for putting the wood to some German broad. 

You know what?  The most exciting thing I've ever done in a video game is taking a gas regulator to the InstaHeat factory.  I really want to replay that 10 more times.  Such replay value in this game. 

The interviews are crap, I have about 5 clues that prove some dumbass is lying, but you choose the "wrong" one half the time. 

The overall story is more telegraphed than a Scooby-Doo episode. 

It's not even this game type...Snatcher is one of my all-time favorite games and that was a story based game where you had to do some detective stuff. 

I'm a completionist so will beat this, but it's a slog right now and I hope I'm near the end.

Hey look, a burnt up shoe that I can pick up and manipulate.  That must be a clue.  "This doesn't look important."  Go fuck yourself, Cole Phelps.

Gutted to hear this as I've just bought it on the cheap due to my love of James Ellroy and Raymond Chandler novels :(

I played it last night for an hour and a half after not playing it for a week or so.  I spent most of my "game" driving to burned out buildings picking up wooden planks and bricks.  The only action was a fistfight against some thugs you can't win, another fistfight with a construction foreman, and something so incredibly stupid involving that construction foreman following picking up more planks and bricks I won't spoil it for you because you have to see the pointlessness of it yourself.   That was about 5 minutes of action, the rest was calling dispatch for addresses, tapping my fingers on ledgers, and picking up planks and bricks.  Oh, and then there are the ridiculous war flashbacks.  Just awful.

It's the worst game I've ever played. 

That's not hyperbole.  I loved Red Dead Redemption.

L.A. Noire is a video game crime. 

I hate myself for playing it, because at this point I'm committing the sunk cost fallacy, which I know better than to do.  I call myself names when I boot it up.   

Finally finished Killzone: Shadowfall (just got to do about 6 trophies including a no-death run and Elite difficulty) and I'll have another Platinum.

The game is not like any other Killzone game -- it's almost like Deus Ex: Human Revolution with bits of Half-Life 2 in there as well. The problem with the game is it is still a traditional FPS campaign with setpiece moments, but visually stunning and the story is a bit more politically intriguing than your standard COD game.

Another problem is multiplayer is completely dead, which is a shame. The multiplayer community for KZ:SF is probably one of the best I've ever seen and even though you play the same maps several times, they are still fun. What ruins it is base camping. I think what messed it up is the trophy requirements for multiplayer are completely ridiculous (I've been working on the multiplayer trophies since launch and I only just within the last month finished them). From what I've seen, the player count has dropped every month to the point that there are less than 1,000 people playing online. I can see Sony putting Killzone Shadowfall on PS+ soon just to salvage the multiplayer community.

While I plan to finish off the campaign for KZ:SF, I have no desire to finish the multiplayer. It just takes too much time to meet those lofty goals in a game I probably won't get the platinum in anyhow due to the no death run trophy. Poe good luck on earning this platinum.

I finished the good karma campaign for Infamous: Second Son. The heart wrenching part of the story did nothing for me but it is a lot of fun flying around the city taking out DUP troops once you have all of your powers. I plan on going for the platinum and all that is left is a couple of action trophies I will gain before playing bad karma on the hardest difficulty.

While I plan to finish off the campaign for KZ:SF, I have no desire to finish the multiplayer. It just takes too much time to meet those lofty goals in a game I probably won't get the platinum in anyhow due to the no death run trophy. Poe good luck on earning this platinum.

I finished the good karma campaign for Infamous: Second Son. The heart wrenching part of the story did nothing for me but it is a lot of fun flying around the city taking out DUP troops once you have all of your powers. I plan on going for the platinum and all that is left is a couple of action trophies I will gain before playing bad karma on the hardest difficulty.

With the no death run, you can select portions of each chapter and lower the death count that way. I got about 26 portions (or so) to do that. Almost everything else shows zero deaths.

And good luck on Infamous: SS. I'm planning on that after Infamous 2 & Festival of Blood Platinum and 100%.

Gun Monkeys on Steam handed out keys like candy for a while there. You play as a monkey with a gun and some bombs and you jump around collecting cubes to stick into some sort of reactor in 1 v 1 matches. When you run the other monkey down to 0 energy you win. All of the voice over work is done in one of those British accents that makes everything better.

This game is so, so stupid. And it's really fun.

If you are capable of getting mad enough at a video game that you have to physically vent, stay far away from GODS WILL BE WATCHING. Even on easy, I'm pretty compelled to throw my computer into a fire.

It happens to also be REALLY cool. It's like a Sophie's Choice Simulator. You have a mission, and a wide variety of decisions you can make, ranging from good to awful. Also, the scenarios you are in are pretty fucked up. Chapter 1, you're managing hostages while your posse is trying to steal a biological weapon. Chapter 2, you're getting tortured for 20 days. I don't know what else is coming up, but every time I've died it cuts to the main character walking alone through the desert, so I bet that's in my future.

Seriously, though. Hardest game I've played in years, and not necessarily fair about it.

the NARC remake.

I need to hear more about this.

PS2/Xbox1 era attempt to make it into an open world game. The "world" was about 4 square blocks and it was about PS1 level graphics with the same 2 songs repeated over and over while Bill Bellamy threw in some quips. The game was literally unplayable to the point that I did indeed use it as a beer coaster.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I just beat L.A. Noire and I'm quite relieved.  The story ended up equally as bad as the gameplay.

Avoid.

You'll have more fun with a kidney stone. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

It's not so hard with the right characters.  I was a beast with Black Adam.  He has a few combos that are slightly different after the initial pattern so aren't hard to memorize, and are quite useful for all kinds of opponents.  I recommend him or if you want more of a close quarters offensive dude, Solomon Grundy is awesome.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I am downloading Viking, the Sega beat 'em up in the style of Spartan, to the 360 as a palette cleanser to L.A. Noire.  I just want to play a "game" game and not something pretending to be a movie.  I'm sure it will be repetitive, but at this point I want to hack up thousands of enemies so bad right now after that nonsense I just went through.  I'm hoping there's not a wooden plank in sight.  Unless my Viking gets to beat someone with it.

I just beat L.A. Noire and I'm quite relieved.  The story ended up equally as bad as the gameplay.

Avoid.

You'll have more fun with a kidney stone. 

And please please don't attempt a Platinum with this game, people, like I am. I apparently am nuts.

Just got one trophy (Hard Mode) and a Platinum on Killzone: Shadowfall.

Because their free-to-play games with microtransactions have been extroidinarily successful for them recently. Avengers Alliance, Marvel Heroes 2015, Marvel Puzzle Quest.... cash cows. And good games too. I want a new Ultimate Alliance too, but I don't blame then for sticking with what's been successful.