DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I dabbled in alittle Pikmin 3 tonight (which I got for free for buying Mario Kart 8). Those little guys are adorable as hell. I need to play some more because I don't wanna let my new little buddies down.

One day where I have extra money and weak willpower, Pikmin 3 is going to be the game that's going to make me splurge on a Wii U.

IGN has put up their review of Sniper Elite III

Spoiler: They liked it a lot

While I'm sure it could be a fine game... it's been out less than a week and there's already pay DLC available.

I get this is now a common practice for major release titles but Jesus is it ever the most ridiculous thing.

I dabbled in alittle Pikmin 3 tonight (which I got for free for buying Mario Kart 8). Those little guys are adorable as hell. I need to play some more because I don't wanna let my new little buddies down.

One day where I have extra money and weak willpower, Pikmin 3 is going to be the game that's going to make me splurge on a Wii U.

You get it free if you buy Mario Kart 8. It's a good deal. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm enjoying the Wii U more than the XBone or PS4 currently. Thought I'm sure that'll change in time.

What are you playing? So far I have 3D World (incredible!), Mario Kart 8 (awesome!), Zombiu (eeeehhhh), and Pikmin 3 (haven't gotten into it). I find I mostly play Wii U with friends and PS4 by my lonesome. I want to go back and play some of the Wii's best games before throwing down a bunch of money on new Wii U games, though. The Game of the Generation thread is helpful.

I have most of the same games you do. My system came with New Super Mario Brother U and New Luigi U. Then I bought Mario Kart 8, got Pikmin 3 for free, and just bought Super Mario 3D World earlier today actually. Also still playing a lot of Smash Bros. Brawl.

One frustration: The Wii Classic Pro Controller doesn't work with New Super Mario Brothers U, but does with Mario 3D World. So if we play New Mario Bros., he's gotta use the shitty Wiimote. I don't understand that at all.

Six Pikmin in my platoon perished today in a fight against a Mawdad. War is hell.

Did you name any of them Arn Anderson?

Yes, and it immediately offered its spot to Curt Hennig.

Since I'm in a bit of a holding pattern until I get my next-gen system, I'm taking another shot at XCom: Enemy Unknown because. . .well, because I have more masochistic tendencies than I originally thought, I guess. I've progressed to the point where I've discovered the alien base, though, which is something.

Six Pikmin in my platoon perished today in a fight against a Mawdad. War is hell.

Since I'm in a bit of a holding pattern until I get my next-gen system, I'm taking another shot at XCom: Enemy Unknown because. . .well, because I have more masochistic tendencies than I originally thought, I guess. I've progressed to the point where I've discovered the alien base, though, which is something.

I did the base fight once it's hella long compaired to the other missions

I picked up Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning cheap on Steam and I'm really enjoying it. I'm hearing voice actors I recognize from other stuff all over the place, the story is keeping my interest, and the controls are pretty good. Only drawback is that there's really no camera control, so occasionally you go from up close to WAAAAY far away in a second.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, skip Enemy Unknown and go to Enemy Within. Much less frustrating and more choices with your soldiers.

I picked up Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning cheap on Steam and I'm really enjoying it. I'm hearing voice actors I recognize from other stuff all over the place, the story is keeping my interest, and the controls are pretty good. Only drawback is that there's really no camera control, so occasionally you go from up close to WAAAAY far away in a second.

I've considered picking up that game, but since we know the story is never gonna get finished, I don't wanna invest myself in it.

I have two main story missions left on Infamous Second Son, and I will then probably just put it on eBay. If Tabe's guess is right, I am guessing the game will be free over the holidays, which is when I can buy the DLC and platinum trophy the game.

That will knock my PS4 library back down to two games: FIFA 14 and MLB: The Show 14.

I think I like this smaller game library idea.

I've considered picking up that game, but since we know the story is never gonna get finished, I don't wanna invest myself in it.

Honestly I think it got a bad rap.  It is a perfectly fun game, the only down side of it is that it has too many similar side missions that can get old but they can be skipped anyway.  I think because of what happened with the aftermath and with Shilling it is an easy punchline but the game was a complete one.  It is definitely worth < 20 bucks, I mean it had an 81 average on metacritic, that was just before it became such a joke later.

• Like 1

http://store.steampowered.com/app/98400

Has anyone here played this?

It looks cool as shit but that doesn't really mean anything anymore I suppose. Still, it looks like it has the right kind of mix of video game bullshit I like (cyberpunk, explosions, what can go wrong), I haven't played a FPS in ages and it just might scratch an itch. There are so many indie games now you really need guidance to know what's going on.

It's fun but the enemies get very samey fast. It's also a VERY 90s fps; think circle strafing rather than cover to survive, lots of hidden doors, etc. If that appeals to you (it did me) it's worth a look. Also their reboot of Shadow Warrior turned Duke Nukem's racist little brother into the second best FPS of 2013 after Bioshock.

• Like 1